old boats - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old boats

Mourne Lass was a drifter out of Portavogie. It needed rescuing in Solway Firth 9 Nov 1935

Peace & Plenty Fishing boat; built 1886, regt Newry c. 1906 out of Kilkeel; owned by G Grills, T Chambers, G McCartan & R McKee in 1937; skippers J McArtan, J Rooney, T O'Brien, M. Morgan, J. H. McBride & G. Chambers ; ceased fishing 1952; photo available some where

Children's Friend fishing boat; built 1898; regt Newry c. 1930; out of Kilkeel; owned by T. Edgar, J. Ferguson later J. McKee; skipper T. Edgar; sold 1942

a fishing boat; built 1895; regt Newry c. 1907; out of Kilkeel; owned by B. McAnulty & T Acton then J Lenaghan of Newcastle then PJ Murphy of Kilkeel; 18 tons; broken up 1920

Ida Shannon a nickey boat of 15 tons ; regt Newry c. 1880; out of Kilkeel; owned by S Shannon & J Edgar then R Green; skipper J Sloan then Willie Maginness SSM p119
    Ida Shannon a fishing boat; built 1894; regt Newry c. 1914; out of Kilkeel; owned by R Green ; skipper J Sloan &FM Chambers broken up 1929

Laurel a fishing boat of 20 tons; regt Newry c. 1872; out of Kilkeel; owned by R. Beers
    Lady Nora a nobby fishing boat of 62 tons; 50ft; regt Newry c. 1916; out of Kilkeel; owned by Earl of Kilmorey then P Curran

Pioneer a nobby fishing boat of 35 tons; 45ft ;regt Newry c. 1916; out of Annalong ; owned by P Trimble, W Gibney; skippers P Trimble; survived U-boat attack c. 1917

St. Anthony a fishing boat out of Ardglass in 1926

St Winifred a fishing boat of 21 tons; 32ft; built 1904; regt Newry c. 1916; out of Kilkeel; owned by G. Grills,TR Chambers, T.O'Brien ; skippers T. O'Brien, WJ Campbell

Slains Castle a fishing boat; built 1886; regt Newry c. 1890; out of Kilkeel; owned by J & W McArtan, then J & J McBride, J Campbell, R.McKee, WJ Annett; skippers were D McArtan, H McBride, R Campbell; 18 tons; totallylost 1926

Waterlily a fishing boat of 14tons; 31ft; built 1897; regt Newry c. 1911; out of Annalong; owned by P Trimble, T Cunningham & J Burden; skippersP Trimble, R Cousins; went to Dublin 1918 SSM p120
    Waterlily a nickey fishing boat of 23 tons; 48ft; built 1896; regt Newry 1914; out of Kilkeel; owned by W Cousins & TChambers; skippers W & J Cousins & W Hill

Wizard a fishing boat; built 1875; regt Newry c. 1906; out of Kilkeel ;owned by J Ferguson, J McKee then T Chambers; skippers R McKee J McBride & G Chambers; ceasd fishing 1921

Bee Hive a fishing boat out of Ardglass in 1926; owned by George Smyth

St Patrick a fishing boat of 25 tons; regt Newry c. 1880; out of Kilkeel; owned by P. Curran SSM p119
    St Patrick a nickey fishing boat of 22 tons; 45ft; built 1897; regt Newry c. 1916; out of Kilkeel; owned by Ellen Curran then Chambers ; skippers W. Curran, J Ballance, WJ Campbell

a fishing boat of 18tons; regt Newry c. 1880; out of Kilkeel; owned by S. Shannon & J. Cunningham SSM p119
    Sarah a fishing boat of 29 tons;built 1877; regt Newry c. 1906; out of Kilkeel ; owned by WJ Chambers then J Davenport &T Edgar; skipper J McArtan & T Edgar ; broken up 1923
    Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.

Default Nugget, Howth

I am researching a motorised Howth fishing boat named the Nugget which was owned by a Peter McLoughlin. She was working out of Howth in 1914. We cannot find it on any register to date. I note on another website www.fishingboatheritage.com a boat named the Nugget LT 238. I would be very gratful for any help.

I only saw yourpost now. It seems to be a common enough name for a boat

I don't know if it's appropriate to drag up an old thread but I came across this googling for "Ellen Constance fishing boat" - my Dad (88 y/o) was talking about that boat yesterday, I think he said she was the oldest nickey in Kilkeel (this would have been 1940s), she was named after the Countess of Kilmorey who was infamous for being the mistress of Queen Mary's brother and was bequeathed the Cambridge Emeralds.

I can't remember what he said about the boat really, being more interested in the scandal - I'll ask him again tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I've let a couple of the Irish lads know about your post , does sound very interesting though Trish

Hi Trish. Leslie Campbell from Kilkeel
    on facebook has some photos of her as well as details.

Thanks everyone.

I asked Dad what he told me and he said:

'I never said Ellen Constance was the oldest nickey in Kilkeel, that would have been 'Peace and Plenty' or 'Uncle Tom'. The Ellen Constance was built around 1884 the other two in the 1870s.'

I asked him who built her and he said 'Thomas Paynter I think, but I could be wrong - he came from Cornwall originally and he had a builders yard on the outer harbour in Kilkeel' one of the other posts in this thread mentions William Paynter, a boat builder of Kilkeel, so I suspect he's got the wrong forename.

I asked about the owner and he said 'The Chambers family of Kilkeel, until she was sold about 1960 to Southern Ireland'.

@dunmore I'll have a look for Leslie Campbell's photos - thanks for the tip.

@davie-tait If any of the 'Irish lads' have any boats that they'd like to see if Dad knows any more about, just let me know the boat names. I reckon Kilkeel and Ardglass based boats he'll be pretty good on but generally speaking he's got a ridiculous memory for that sort of thing. I once saw him name a boat we saw coming in Peel, well before the name was visible - when I asked how he'd done it, he told me he remembered it fishing out of Whitehaven in the '50s! It looked pretty much the same as every other boat to me!

I couldn't work out how to see Leslie Campbells photos but in attempting it - I found this page which might be useful to others.

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/WORDS/Ships.htm

This is what it says about the Ellen Constance:

"a motor fishing boat; built 1884; regd. Newry c. 1911; out of Kilkeel; owned by Earl of Kilmorey then WJ Chambers"

So it looks like Dad was pretty spot on with her being built in 1884, named after the Countess of Kilmorey and owned by the Chambers family. He was less accurate with the age of Peace and Plenty - which was actually younger

"a fishing boat; built 1886; regd. Newry c. 1906; out of Kilkeel; owned by G Grills, T Chambers, G McCartan & R McKee in 1937; skippers J McArtan, J Rooney, T O'Brien, M. Morgan, J. H. McBride & G. Chambers ; ceased fishing 1952; photo available"

And Uncle Tom which was built only the year before

"a nickey fishing boat of 52ft; built 1883; regd. Newry c. 1915; out of Kilkeel; owned by James McIntosh, WJ Campbell, J Magee"

https://www.facebook.com/leslie.campbell

That's Leslie's account Trish , send him a message and hopefully he'll see the notification ( if facebook isn't playing up as usual that is lol )