Coble and double-ender register - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coble and double-ender register

My thoughts are that the obvious people to approach are the Coble and Keelboat Society. They have members from the Scottish border right down to hull, possibly further. These members obviously have an interest and knowledge of the subject, so seems the natural starting point to me.

Thanks for your commet graham and I would agree with you that the Coble & Keel Boat Society would be a good starting point. However their web site seems to have disappeared and I can no longer find their URL http://www.coble-keelboatsociety.org/. The society may have changed their website and if so and if anyone knows the new address I would be grateful if they caould pass it on.

The other observation I have, and this is not in any way meant as a critisism, is that when the web site was available it had a list of cobles to be found in various locations in the North East and elsewhere but this was by no means up to date and some of the information was rather sketchy. It did allow me to identify a few cobles, but others remained unidentified and, if my memory serves me well, I dont think it helped identify any double-enders.

This highlights one of the main problems with any list or register, the initial data upload has to be accurate, minus any guess work, and then it needs to be maintained and updated. Finally it has to be of use, if no one is interested in maintaining the history of particualr cobles and double-enders setting up a regsiter is pointless but if interest does exist any data must be kept current.

The other major benefit Trawler Photo has, in addition to the number of people contributing photographs and information, is the ever growing photographic record that is being assembled of these craft and if a link could be made between the photographic record and a data register it would form a unique historical record. I personally have not seen another web site with so many photographs of both cobles and double-enders and it is still expanding. Perhaps we have an opportunity to set up a record which will prove very valuable in the futrure.

Default Coble register.

I have just found this thread on the forums and the strange thing is I was thinking just the same thing. My interest is in the coble and I have a comprehensive listing of them north of the Tyne compiled with the invaluable help of my friend Dave Durward of Blyth. i also have a list south of the Tees but the gap in my knowledge is North of the Tees/South of the Tyne. It is reasonably easy to follow the whereabouts of registered cobles although winter can be a time of movement from port to port. However as noted unregistered cobles such as my own are more difficult to follow, as they are bought and sold more often and scrapped at intervals.Two have gone at Teesmouth in the last 3 months with another due for destruction. So I will help anyway I can. It is an important issue so lets get it up and running.With under 10metre decommissioning on the horizon how many more will disappear. Would the administrators agree to such a listing on the site and could they help?

Still reckon the CKS is the best starting place. Their website is up and running again after being down for a short time while someone was working on it. Dave D is indeed a valuable contact.

The only problem is with the CKS is that they rely on members like myself and Dave to provide them with the info which we have both done and then it isn't used. Also no other members seem interested enough to do the same in their area. Once again it is back to those people with the interest to do it.

Well, seems like you're the one with the interest (stontamar seems to have disappeared), so I suggest that you get on with the project if you feel that strongly. I truly wish you all the best of luck.
    I do resent your comment about no other members being interested. I have been a member of CKS for several years and as a solo proect i have been writing up the histories of boatyards from Berwick to Aberdeen. Have covered about 25 yards now, which must run to over a thousand pages, tho about half of that is pics. Have also done the Seahouses yard, altho that's further south than i intended to go. At the end of the day, you do whatever research interests you most. Good luck in your project.

I hadn't meant to cause any offence and it is good to hear about your research. However my grumble with the CKS is that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. This is not just my view but also of a number of members and ex members i've talked to. A few years ago the magazine and bulletins were full of interesting articles and up to date info which has all but disappeared. I realise that there has been a change in the people running it and I know that there is a very strong Northumberland section, but unless members start sharing info cobles will be a distant memory. There thats my rant over.
    Just to wish you good luck with your project.

Don't worry, might disagree with your comments, but have not taken offence! A few of the CKS members have supplied pics and bits of info to help me, particularly Dave D, also Peter W and Gloria W.
    One way that you cuold maybe help the CKS forward is by standing for nomination for the commitee at the AGM, or perhaps you already are on the commitee? Must admit that I've not been to an AGM for the last coupla years. Intended to go down to HL this year, but ended up in Preston, long story!

Quote Originally Posted by stontamar View Post
    Hi dave - can set up a spreadsheet but problem is where do we hold the document nd who has access to update it. I was hoping admin or one of the moderators would give a steer but they have been quiet on the subject so far.

It is clear thoughn that with so many of these boats being deregistered their history is fast diaappearing and a living register would help track those remaining and highligt those that need a definative identity. Even those that know their subject sometimes disagree with each other over the identity of a particular boat and there are also many that remain unidentified on this web site despite requests for help with identification.

Can I please ask Trawler Admin for their advice on the best way to set up a reguister on the web site if it is at all possible.

if you want to do it on a spreadsheet the best and easiest way to set one up that many people can contribute to is use google docs

http://docs.google.com

set it up in excel first if you want then upload to google, email whoever you want to contribute to it an they all get access to it, its held online, so no documents to shuffle about and loads of people can work on it at once

I've just spotted this thread about cobles. It was me who did a schedule of cobles four or five years ago and I let the Coble and Keelboat Society put it on their website. I got a lot of support from Dave Durward but little interest from anyone else at the time. I don't think anybody in the CKS is likely to do any more about a schedule now. The only way to get action out of CKS is to get on the committee and stir them up.
    If anybody wants me to email them a copy of my Excel spreadsheet please get in touch.