Petrenda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrenda

Default Petrenda

Hi,

I wonder if you might be able to help me, please?

I am trying to research the background to the former fishing vessel (now houseboat) Petrenda. I would be grateful if anyone had any information about or photographs of this vessel during its working life.

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, It might be worth posting a photograph of her as is. There are lots of guys on this site that will recognise hull lines to at least give a possible builder and age. Ian

Tim, Had you spotted this reference http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...714&ppuser=764 although I see it says 1947 build whereas all the Appolloduck sale notices had 1935 and 65' when they were selling the houseboat at Bembridge. Going onto maps.google.co.uk and putting in PO35 5NS for the search and then zoom right in until the Streetview cameras take over, you can wander east along Embankment Road and find the white hull and wheelhouse houseboat with a white bearded gentleman coming ashore. Ian

Default Petrenda

Quote Originally Posted by OffScotland View Post
    Hi Tim, It might be worth posting a photograph of her as is. There are lots of guys on this site that will recognise hull lines to at least give a possible builder and age. Ian
    Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your help. I will put up a suitable photo of her as she is now.

Cheers,

Tim

Default Petrenda

Tim, Had you spotted this reference http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...714&ppuser=764 although I see it says 1947 build whereas all the Appolloduck sale notices had 1935 and 65' when they were selling the houseboat at Bembridge. Going onto maps.google.co.uk and putting in PO35 5NS for the search and then zoom right in until the Streetview cameras take over, you can wander east along Embankment Road and find the white hull and wheelhouse houseboat with a white bearded gentleman coming ashore. Ian
    Hi Ian,

I had spotted the quoted reference and noted the difference in the dates - My wife and I are the new owners!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, If the conversion to houseboat hasn't removed original deck beams and they are visible a careful hunt might find the official number and tonnage carved into one of the beams ( see the carvings we found on 'Ros Donn' at http://www.sol.co.uk/i/iangwhittaker...n/gallery1.htm ). Official numbers were allocated in blocks to the various Registry Ports. This might lead to an original registration date and name, assuming that Petrenda is post-conversion name change. I guess this is the case since nobody has jumped in with any info from Olsens lists. Ian

Default Petrenda

I've found a Petrenda. She's given as built Whitby 1947. WY 125, ON 161030.
    She appeared to be renamed as Walney WY 125 in the mid to late 1950's. She's in my 1964 Olsens with this name. I havent found her in my 71 OLsens yet. I dont know if this is any help to you??
    Douglas

Default Petrenda

Tim, If the conversion to houseboat hasn't removed original deck beams and they are visible a careful hunt might find the official number and tonnage carved into one of the beams ( see the carvings we found on 'Ros Donn' at http://www.sol.co.uk/i/iangwhittaker...n/gallery1.htm ). Official numbers were allocated in blocks to the various Registry Ports. This might lead to an original registration date and name, assuming that Petrenda is post-conversion name change. I guess this is the case since nobody has jumped in with any info from Olsens lists. Ian
    Thanks, Ian,

I will check the beams and follow that up.

Kinf Regards,

Tim

Default Petrenda

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Paterson View Post
    I've found a Petrenda. She's given as built Whitby 1947. WY 125, ON 161030.
    She appeared to be renamed as Walney WY 125 in the mid to late 1950's. She's in my 1964 Olsens with this name. I havent found her in my 71 OLsens yet. I dont know if this is any help to you??
    Douglas
    Thanks, Douglas,

That's helpful and gives me some more detail to be going on with.

Kind Regards,

Tim

I saw this as I was looking for another vessel and couldn’t believe me eyes… I hope I’m not too late as I see it’s an old post…

I knew the Petrenda very well back in 1968/9… I worked on her during her conversion. We were brought on board to run up her engine, a big old three cylinder Lister Blackstone… although the owner insisted it was a ‘runner’… my then boss suggested I take off a couple of the crankcase doors just to check what the guts of her were like… and discovered a lot of whitemetal in the sump… closed inspection revealed the big ends had had it and were packed out with metal discs… like old sixpences… and so began the big strip down and I never got to see the engine run. We had hundreds of pounds of spare parts delivered and then the money ran out. I started to work full time for the owner, fitting out the cabins etc… until the admiralty turned up one day and arrested her… I was below deck at the time and didn’t know what had happened until it was time for me to go home… I couldn’t get out the damned deck housing but remembered we had a false panel behind the cooker in the galley… after dismantling the galley and opening up the panelling I was able to crawl along the deck below the wheelhouse floor and lever up the plywood flooring and make good my escape…that was when I saw the huge padlocks on the deckhouse doors and the writ on the mast… she owed me a lot of money did Petrenda… I went away to sea down the Mediterranean for a year by which time she’d been sold and had a tiny rolls Royce engine in her… the last I saw of her was trying to get through Poole bridge… and not quite making it as she had a disagreement with the main structure… quite a lot of red faces there then… and then years later I saw her at Bembridge as a houseboat…

Somewhere I have some photos, but I’ve moved a bit since then… and grown a lot older.

Be great if someone could get back to me as I have lots more to tell. Oh… and the debts been wiped out.