Courage SH106

Thread: Courage SH106

Default Courage SH106

I'm hoping someone on this great forum can help.

I purchased a nice 2nd hand painting called Rough Seas the other week by an artist called I.G. Mainprize of fishing boat Courage SH106. I have found out that the name Mainprize is very much linked to fishing in Scarborough, but have not been able to find out who I.G. Mainprize was. Does anyone know?

It would also be great to know more about the boat. My internet research on this site and others has so far found that Courage was originally BCK134 and was built in Findochty in 1932 and was the last steam drifter to be built there.

A user called 'ally' on this link has a picture of her being launched but unfortunately the image is missing which is a shame. (http://coastalandfishing.forummotion...34-pic_820.htm). Is this the same 'ally' as on this forum?

She transferred to SH 20/11/1937 and was owned for many years by Will Pashby at SH before she fell into the ownership of Colin "Dilt" Jenkinson and renamed Margaret and William SH142. There a few photos on this site and others of her around this time however, details and photos become sparse at this point. The last info I have, again from this site! indicates she was sold to FD around 1967 and again to Hartlepool and reg HL40 from 1972 to 1978.

It would be great if someone could fill in any gaps or provide other info/photos of this boat. Is she still alive?

Many thanks
    Ben

I have her Customs and Excise reciords from 1932 to 1961. She was built in Findochty in 1932 but was a 45ft motor boat (not a steam Drifter) She was sold to Scarborough in 1937. She stayed there until she was sold to Sunderland in 1961. She had no change of name during this time. I have no records for her after the move to Sunderland. I also dont have any indication of her being owned by a Jenkinson. I also have not yet found a William and Mary registered SH but Ill keep looking. If you want the full detail from the Customs Registers I can put those up here.
    Douglas
    www.fishingboatheritage.com

Here's what I have been able to piece together
    http://www.fishingboatheritage.com/i...rage-1937-1961
    Douglas
    www.fishingboatheritage.com

Hi Douglas, Just a little to add at the end.
    Courage: (BCK 134) (1932–19??)
    O.N.000000: 13.01g 13.01n 45.2 x 13.7 x 4.7feet
    Sail & Motor

1932: Launched by Herd & Mackenzie Ltd, Findochty Banff-shire (Yd.No?) for John Robertson & John Robertson, Findochty Banff-shire as “Courage” BCK 134. 09.1932: Completed. 21.09.1932: Registered at Buckie BCK 134. 1937: Owned by William Pashby, Scarborough (skipper/owner). 19.11.1927: Buckie registry closed. 20.11.1937: Registered at Scarborough SH 106. 10.05.1943: Owned by Christopher Watkinson (skipper), Richard Cammish, Robert Cammish & Mathew Cammish, Scarborough. 12.08.1945: Owned by William Pashby, Scarborough (skipper/owner). 1961: Owned by Sunderland owners. 10.01.1961: Scarborough registry closed. 1961: Registered at Sunderland. 12.1964: Owned by Colin Charles Jenkinson, Scarborough. 12.1964: Sunderland registry closed. 04.01.1965: Renamed “MARGARET & WILLIAM”. 04.01.1965: Registered at Scarborough SH 142. 14.02.1968: Owned by Robert Edward (skipper), Bampton Yorkshire and George Roy Colbeck, Bridlington. 11.1968: Owned by Fleetwood owners. 14.11.1968: Scarborough registry closed. 11.1968: Registered at Fleetwood. 10.1971: Owned by David Kent, Middlesbrough. 10.1971: Fleetwood registry closed. 08.10.1971: Registered at Hartlepool HL 40. 01.07.1976: Owned by John Roberts, Hartlepool. 01.07.1976: Renamed “LADY GRACE”.

There's a possibility that this photo of Daves ( dave-d ) is her
    http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/s...p?photo=170016

Many thanks Douglas, aavh and Davie for the great research and info. Very much appreciated. The photo of Lady Grace does look like the same boat, so I'll see what I can find out about her.

Hoping I've attached a photo below of Rough Seas
    image.jpg

I believe this is a photo of her being launched:
    http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...bs/courage.jpg
    Unfortunately I don't have permission to view the full image, only this thumbnail

Hi Ben
    I hope you are still picking messages up from this forum?
    Thankyou for posting the photo of the painting "Rough seas" I hope I can fill in the gaps about the artist.
    Iris Georgina Mainprize (ne Palser) was my mum. Born 1937 Birmingham and died of a brain heamorage in Scarborough in 1988 aged 51.
    She trained as a draughtswoman with the Navy (civilian) in Portland near Weymouth. This is where she met my dad, Raymond Castle Mainprize who was in the Navy, stationed in Portsmouth. Dad left the Navy and they moved to Birmingham when my sister was born 1963, they then moved in with my grandparents back in Scarborough. In Scarborough my dad went back to sea as a fisherman and my mum did PT work including taking on commissions for paintings of local boats.
    I was born 1969 and when my sister and I were both young my mum painted a number of seascapes and local boats mostly sold to skippers, owners and pub landlords, in between other PT jobs. My parents divorced and my mum remarried and became a Rowley, which you may recognise as another Scarborough fishing name.
    Since my mum died I have searched for her paintings and I missed out a couple of years ago on one that appeared on eBay. It was a random google search that brought up this forum page and your question- so thankyou as It was great to see the photo you posted. Feel free to ask any questions, regards Jeni Gerhardt (nee Mainprize)