Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Campbell Town Fishingboats

Default Campbell Town Fishingboats

Amazon are advertising the new book Fishing Boats of Campbell Town Shipyard being published 24 July order now and you get a discount.I am sure myself included a lot have waited a long time for this one.

Default Campletown Shipyard

Nice one,
    have been waiting for that.
    Next - Forbes Shipyard.

Default Campbeltown registered boats 1947

Regarding Campbeltown here is a link to a list of vessels registered at Campbeltown in 1947.

http://groups.msn.com/Kintyre/1947li...hingboats.msnw

And the same for Tarbet

http://groups.msn.com/Kintyre/1947li...hingboats.msnw

Might be of use to some?

stontamar
    Last edited by stontamar; 26th June 2008 at 14:18. Reason: Add Tarbet list for 1947

very interesting, scrolling thru the campbeltown list you can see that the vast majority of owners and their families were no longer involved in the industry within 20 yrs, not knowing enough about the background of those men i couldn't say if any descendants were at the job today.

i read the story of the quesada its very detailed but theres no mention of my father inlaw ivor mckinven who was on the boat and was the one that lit the flares, or that my father recovered the body of one of those lost, john mcmillan i think, i have the campbeltown courier for that week with the story in it.
    theres also no mention of hamish colville who was aboard and went on to be a well respected marine engineer for many year afterwards.

Thumbs up

Cheers for the info Bon Ami. I too have been waiting for this book. It's from the same writers as the Purse Seiners book which was excellent. I think they were also planning to write a book on the Nobles of Girvan boatyard.

First class books along with the two from Buckie Heritage . Good to see the history and the boats just hope that someone with the knowledge and inspiration does some of the other yards such as Forbes . R Irvins etc . It would be good to see the craftmanship and beautiful boats from all these yards published before thier work is all forgotten.

if the author gets as much access as i was given to Nobles of Girvan records then it will be an excellent read, i was loaned the original plans for the jasmine and when i returned them Alistair Noble sent me the original fitting out instructions for the boat to keep, he is also going to send me the pictures taken at her launch, an act of generosity i had no right to expect, that said i hope he shared the token of my appreciation i sent him and didn't drink it all himself.

If the last book is anything to go by it will be a very good read QW, about probably the country's finest wooden boatbuilder (outside Cornwall )

Did you read the Purse Seiners book ?
    It's not my favourite form of fishing but the book was the best researched book on fishing that I have read.