seal catcher polar star getting ready

Thread: seal catcher polar star getting ready

Default seal catcher polar star getting ready

despite all the protests(greenpeace) polarstar has started rigging out for a trip to the wester ice,the fleet seal quota this year is 13000 no pups or blue backs was wondering how the members here feel about this

There were plenty of comments in favour of a seal cull at the recent Cod Recovery Symposium I was at last weekend. Personally I would be tempted to agree that there seems to be a lot around the west coast but I think pollitically and morally Scotland shouldnt have a seal cull. If Scotland left the CFP Cod would recover far better than killing seals.

Default control needed

i agree with you but feel we need some for of control we had a greenland seal invasion here a few years back it was terrible lot of smaller boats went out he door gill netters,seals swiming in the harbour here in Ślesund.
    but at the same time norway gets a lot of bad press for it in recent years all boats killing whale or seal carry a vet onboard to ensure its done quickly and humainly as possible.
    I started my fishing life in scotland the fairtrys then aberdeen granton arbroath but was forced to leave due to small quotas no wages when you talk about bad fishing practices i would say look to brussels they have done more harm than all the whale boats and seal catchers put together

I couldnt agree with more about the EU. The UK took 70% of the EU countries fish stock and were given 17% of the quota. If you consider most of them are around Scotland the situation gets even worse.

The Cod situation is a bit of a joke really. Ok so say fishermen took ICES advice and were awarded zero cod quota, The same ammount of Cod would die under fisheries mortality. In the West of Scotland Area 6a that i was in the working group at the symposium the quota was only 500 tonnes. basicly nil. None of the fishermen could target Cod. They all had to move on when they saw a sign of good Cod.

The symposium tended to suggest that more reginal control would be used with RAC's and there was a general opinon Closed areas should be used to protect nusery grounds and spawning agregations as long as they were sensible and choosen by fishermen.

Default eu rules

the reason norway never enterd the eu was fish we have watched here the slow death of the british fishing industry and everytime the question of membership comes up so does the subject of the decimation of the british fleet.
    I am a pensioner and yet i have a registerd boat and am allowed to fish for just over£5000 a year "legaly" without any effect to my pension the same for thousands of retired fishermen here the pensions here are good its not due to small pensions but so that we can still keep our hands in.
    HOW LONG WOUD THIS LAST WITH EU MEMBERSHIP

The seal catcher would get his quota in Peterhead Bay at the moment. There are plenty seals there, they seem to get a living off pelagic boats discharging, and the many that can be seen in the harbour are huge, and I heard the Bay is full of them.

Default Seals

Its the same in Eyemouth with the seals, the fishmongers van on the pier sells fish to feed the seal with for the tourists. Its a huge fat seal!

Default seal cull

I can never understand why seals are looked on only as a pest or a cuddly pet when they could be a good industry ,whats the difference between a seal and a cow both give good meat (the seal's is healthier) and good leather(seal being superior)there could be a lot of jobs in it, it would control the numbers,it's just this thing with cuddly animals that this country seems to be obsessed with, they'll eat steak but wave placards at you for killing a cow,
    Billy