MFV Emer Marie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFV Emer Marie

Default MFV Emer Marie

Does anyone know where the Emer Marie (SO XXX) has ended up. She was an 86ft timber vessel based in killybegs (unlicenced for a number of years). She was supposedly sold to england to be converted to a houseboat. I'd like to see some photos of her as a houseboat as she is such a fine boat, she could of continued fishing for many years.

She was one of 4 sisters built by the BIM yards in Ireland in the late 70's.(86'*7.57*3.9 m)The Emer Marie was slightly larger than the other sisters (a plank wider either side) as she was built in Baltimore. The Ocean venture (ex Gary Og, Sarah David) is the only sister left fishing in Ireland.The Dermotte Anne has been sold to Croatia i believe and the Girl Maureen is looking in a bad state laid up in killybegs.

Default MFV Emer Marie

Hi

Maybe the images that may be found via the following links will help you in your quest:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=322359

The photo seems to show a wooden hull that has steel cladding on the topsides

Best regards

Ronda

Default Emer Marie

Thanks Ronda

Quote Originally Posted by justindel View Post
    Does anyone know where the Emer Marie (SO XXX) has ended up. She was an 86ft timber vessel based in killybegs (unlicenced for a number of years). She was supposedly sold to england to be converted to a houseboat. I'd like to see some photos of her as a houseboat as she is such a fine boat, she could of continued fishing for many years.

She was one of 4 sisters built by the BIM yards in Ireland in the late 70's.(86'*7.57*3.9 m)The Emer Marie was slightly larger than the other sisters (a plank wider either side) as she was built in Baltimore. The Ocean venture (ex Gary Og, Sarah David) is the only sister left fishing in Ireland.The Dermotte Anne has been sold to Croatia i believe and the Girl Maureen is looking in a bad state laid up in killybegs.
    Hi Justindel

I fished for a few trips on the Emer Marie when she came to Killybeggs first. She was pair trawling with the Dermot Ann. Charlie Gallagher was skipper/owner at the time and Danny Gallagher was Skipper/owner of the Dermot Ann. Another brother John Jo I think owned the Gary Og. The Emer Marie was an excellent sea boat and you are quite correct in saying that she could have fished for many more years. Everytime I returned to Killybeggs it was so sad to see her tied up. It was great to see her going to England to be used in some fashion. I have a photo somewhere of her just coming off the slip in Baltimore. I will look for it and post it on the site. She had a refit some years ago and had a shelter deck fitted, I thought that took from the overall look of her but I suppose the crew had an easier life !!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34517490@N00/455898959/

recent photo`s of her laying in Sharpness,Gloucester !!!!

Last spotted her about a year ago alongside waiting to enter Bristol docks.No conversion started then but looked quite well.

Default Emer Marie

Cheers Guys,
    have seen pictures of the Dermotte Anne with her new name in Croatia on Shipspotting website. Have tried to find out where Girl Maureen has gone but I don't know.Have an interest in these vessels as I was shown around the Gary Og in Dunmore East when I was 9 or 10 and thought I was blown away. She was laid up in Dunmore for a few years and there was talk of her been scrapped but thankfully then Neil Minihane bought her and spent a million on her at Tyrells of Arklow. Would be great to find a book with information on all BIM built trawlers and their history.

Such a book is in preparation by Pat Nolan (authour of 'Sea Caress') but it will only cover the 50 footers. I've done what I can on the them and those up to 65 footers on my web pages. Always on the look-out for old photos of these boats.

EMER MARIE (SO670) reported yesterday leaving Sharpness for Plymouth (she never made it to Gloucester)

Will be interesting to see what becomes of her. Some photos of her will surely surface if she is going to Plymouth.