Beam Trawler - Morning Dawn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beam Trawler - Morning Dawn

Default Beam Trawler - Morning Dawn

Hi,
    I am just wondering why the Morning Dawn has her derricks off her. I have seen her picture today on the website and am just curious.
    Cheers,
    Justindel

Davie Tait Guest

She has stopped fishing as far as anyone knows. Had all her derricks cut off in January. She's just doing oil guardship duties now and as far as I know renting out his quota and days at sea.

Default Morning Dawn

Thanks Davie,
    that's a shame really as it was nice to see a beam trawler operating from peterhead. I suppose as with most of the larger beamtrawlers, the costs are too high to operate viably.I realise I posted this on the wrong section.
    thanks,
    justindel

Davie Tait Guest

He was burning 12t of fuel a day and with the high price of Diesel , even with the large quota of Monks he had , I guess it just got too expensive to catch them.

Default must be something wrong

12 ton a day is a hell of a lot my son is double trawlngwith 4ton thyboron doors a three ton clump two big selstad trawls on 120meter sweeps and their 2500hk is only burning 6ton a day 12 ton seems a hell of a lot i worked the big factory ships over here norwegian and russian and it was still only 8ton

Davie Tait Guest

The Morning Dawn has a 3835hp/2823kw main engine with another 2 gen sets ( one of 250hp for all the electrics , hold chilling system , freezer system for the freezer hold and the other around 800hp for the winch hydraulics ) and towing 12m beams with stonemat groundgear means towing at 7-8 knots means 12-13t of fuel a day.

The Adventurer II INS8 is 80ft x 30ft x 21ft with a Caterpillar 3512B of 1120kw/1500hp and when they tow twin rig gear in deep water out to the west side they're burning 7.5t a day.

Crazy amount of fuel to burn considering my families old boat the David John was 87ft x 21ft6 x 12ft , had a Mirlees Blackstone ETRS6 of 372kw/500hp , a Gardener 6LXB of 125hp as a big gen set / winch hydraulic pump motor and a 2 cyclinder 27hp Gardner small gen set. With the 125 Gardner running for 8hrs a day , the 27hp constant and the main engine at 70% power for 18hrs a day we only burned 1t a day !!!!

Davie

Default this wont pay davie

i beleve what you say davie but i cant see that ever payingthats a lot of monk fish my last ship was sevryba (russian) crew of 35 and were able to produce 40-45 tons of fillets on only 7tons a day main engine was 3500 hp
    wartzila i was single trawling 20 meters rockhoppers and 35 meter a side steel and rubber mixed on 19mm chain 4 meter of anchor chain infront of the hoppers and 4 behind the dhanlinostowing at 4.5 knots.
    I dont have this problem my little 30hp sabb uses 30 liters a week and a lot of shouting and swearing

Posted a photo of the Morning Dawn lying in Peterhead today with her derreck's off !!!!

Default morning dawn

is this an ex dutchman davie

Davie Tait Guest

Yes Ron the skipper bought her from Holland to replace his last beamer a few years ago , just burns too much fuel I think