The Real Fish Fight - Support Our Fishing Communities - Page 4
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Fish Fight - Support Our Fishing Communities

All the yellow areas on this map are oil pipeline's,wellheads,rigs and windfarms.
    There are a lot of good fishing areas been lost over the years,I dare say Oil industry will throw big money into research as to why trenching pipelines etc,does no harm to the seabed.
    Sadly fishermen dont have the same resource's and big money so we have to highlight our side the best we can and this is our goal......jc

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fulls...ON_MEGRIM.html

NAFC COMPLETES SCOTTISH FISHERMEN’S TRUST FUNDED PROJECT ON MEGRIM

The NAFC Marine Centre’s fisheries scientist, Paul Macdonald has recently completed a Scottish Fishermen’s Trust funded project on the population structure of megrim on the Northern Shelf, in conjunction with the University of Oviedo, Spain.

This study was undertaken by the NAFC’s Marine Science and Technology department in response to recent changes in management of megrim on the Northern Shelf - which includes the North Sea, West of Scotland and Rockall - as knowledge of the stock structure is limited.

Commenting on the study, Paul said: “The aim of this collaborative project was to examine the genetic structure of megrim populations on the Northern Shelf to determine whether there was evidence of separate populations, the geographic distributions of any separate populations and whether the evidence from this study supports the management units implemented recently.”

Samples of megrim tissue were collected across the Northern Shelf in 2012 during the annual anglerfish survey undertaken by Marine Scotland. The work was part of a wider project on the biology and ecology of megrim on the Northern Shelf. The samples were subsequently analysed at the University of Oviedo, Spain.

Paul continued: “The results of the study support the recent changes in management but also suggest that there may be evidence of further population differentiation between the North Sea and the West of Scotland.”

Head of Marine Science and Technology, Dr. Martin Robinson added: “This study is an excellent example of the work being carried out at the NAFC Marine Centre to assist in the assessment and management of species that are of commercial importance to the Shetland fleet.”

A copy of the report has been submitted to the megrim stock assessor at the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) and the final report is available from paul.macdonald@nafc.uhi.ac.uk

Note not a single boat that does this is a UK or Irish fishing boat,our boats boats don't fish these areas , Davie

http://www.undercurrentnews.com/2013.../#.UVR2HjevNLp

NGO: Transshipping facilitates ‘fish laundering’

March 27, 2013, 3:02 pm
    Undercurrent News

Evidence has been uncovered revealing the transshipment of fish at sea and illegal fishing, which together bring illegally-caught products into the EU marketplace, said the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF).

Ineffective monitoring means that consignments of transshipped fish regularly enter the EU marketplace, said the NGO.

The opportunity for fish ‘laundering’ to take place without detection means that fish stolen by pirate fishers from some of the poorest coastal communities in the world is being authorized by the EU to enter the European marketplace.

Global losses due to illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing are estimated to be between $10 billion and $23.5 billion every year, it said.

West African waters are deemed to have the highest levels of IUU fishing in the world, representing up to 37% of the region’s catch. Along with the economic losses, pirate fishing in West Africa severely compromises food security and the livelihoods of coastal communities, the health of fish stocks and the marine environment, said EJF.

EJF says it has gathered evidence that the transshipment of fish from one vessel to another frequently facilitates the laundering of illegally-caught fish, due to the inability of coastal and flag state authorities to monitor how, by whom and where transferred fish was caught.

“The complications involved in monitoring large-scale transfers of fish at sea mean that any transshipment of fish from one vessel to another can currently obscure illegal activities,” said Steve Trent, executive director of EJF.

“Transshipment adds to the opacity in global fisheries that enables pirate fishers to operate in the shadows, far from supervision and regulation.”

“Fish is being caught illegally in the waters of West Africa, transshipped at sea and ‘laundered’ under a legal vessel’s paperwork to end up on our plates in Europe. Pirate fishing is devastating coastal communities in West Africa, where they have the highest levels of illegal fishing in the world. We simply cannot allow their food security to continue to be compromised whilst their fish enters the European marketplace.”

The NGO called for a ban of transshipment at sea, citing the difficulties in managing the activity as a key reason for illegally-caught fish being able to reach EU marketplaces.

EJF has released a briefing on transshipment at sea and why it ought to be banned, which can be found at its website.

http://trawlingfortruth.blogspot.co....-observer.html

Tom Hay's letter to the Buchan Observer

The indefatigable Tom Hay, Honorary Chairman of FAL, has written a letter to the Buchan Observer, to be published this week, that replies to Richard Lochhead's latest praise of the so-called CFP reforms. Here is the letter in full.

Dear Editor

It is inexcusable that Richard Lochhead should continue to propagate the fallacy that the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) can be reformed. FAL has advised him time and again that the real CFP – equal access to a common resource- cannot be reformed. Yet he carries on regardless. See Buchan Observer March 19 2013.

It serves the purpose of course of misleading the few Scottish fishermen who are left, that something can be done through negotiations to bring to a halt the clear intentions of the treaties - of driving British fishermen out of their own fishing grounds in favour of a predatory armada of fishermen from the other member states of the EU, predominately operating in what are British waters under international law.

He is of course referring to the temporary derogation from the real CFP which terminates at the end of a prescribed period.. He must be aware that the Conservative Administration in 1972 under the treacherous Edward Heath, surrendered by treaty British fishing grounds, fishing rights, and fish stocks to an alien, unelected foreign power, and thereby establishing the CFP.

Should he doubt the veracity of this, he will very easily find out the truth by reading the fishing debates in Parliament in the early 1970’s, or paying a visit to the Public Record Office in Kew London, which might even be better, since he will find out just how Parliament deceived the very people by whom it was elected.

During these debates, the House of Commons was prophetically warned, mostly by Labour Members of Parliament, that the disastrous circumstances which now prevail in the British Fishing Industry were inevitable, and could not be averted if we transferred by treaty exclusive competence to “Brussels” for the conservation and management of all living marine resources within British waters.

The Treaties of Accession make it crystal clear that all species of fish within the waters of all EU maritime nations, are a common resource to which all EU member state’s fishermen have an equal right of access.

This is the real, ugly, one and only CFP, which cannot be reformed, and Richard Lochhead is doing himself and his Party a great deal of harm. If he wants to continue as a servant of the Scottish people in another SNP administration, and perhaps even in an independent Scotland after 18 September 2014 then he needs to stop propagating this travesty of the truth now, and find the courage to return to the position he adopted in 2006 when as Shadow Minister for Environment, Rural Affairs, Energy and Fisheries he stated: The Common Fisheries Policy will always undermine our efforts to take the industry forward to better times. Only when Scotland regains control of our own waters will we be able to plot a course for our fishing communities.

Thomas Hay

Honorary Chairman FAL

It would be nice to think that Richard Lochhead and, more importantly, his officials would read this and ponder over it.

http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Default.as...rojectID=18125

Science and Research Projects

Return to Science Search homepage Return to Project List

In depth review of evidence supporting the recommended marine conservation zones - MB0116
    Description
    Summary Objectives

Defra commissioned an in-depth review of the Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ) evidence to build on and extend the evidence-specific work of the MCZ Regional Projects to support the designation of MCZs. This work was commissioned following the recommendation from the independent Science Advisory Panel that the evidence base for MCZs required a further in-depth review of data and information. The aim of the project is to deliver a comprehensive review of the MCZ evidence and identify any new evidence that can be used. The project only covers ecological features (as defined within the Ecological Network Guidance) and provides opinions on the level of confidence in the data. It will complement the advice provided by JNCC and Natural England on the MCZ evidence base. The outputs and conclusions of the projects will be considered as part of future MCZ evidence assessment and prior to MCZ designation in 2013.

Key Customer Purpose

The study will build on and extend the evidence base underpinning rMCZs, making an important contribution to the MCZ Project.

The project will be led by ABPmer supported by the Marine Biological Association of the UK and Marine Planning Consultants.

Defra, Natural England and JNCC have published statements on the report to clarify findings and set the context for how the report fits with wider MCZ work.

links to the pdf documents in the link at top of this post

http://t.co/WxiFOFJxCf

Fish stock dilemma

In this edition of I talk EU Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Maria Damanaki answers your questions.

“Hello I am Chris Burns and welcome to I talk. Some call it strip mining of the seas, over-fishing that is wiping out fish stocks sometimes to the point of near extinction. And what about the safety and quality of the fish we eat.

“Joining us take your questions is Maria Damanaki, the EU Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries. Commissioner before we get to that, why don’t I ask you first about your home country Greece. We could devote a whole show to that, but what is your prognosis – positive or negative – of the economic situation?”

Maria Damanaki: “Well we can be slightly optimistic now we have gone through very, very hard years, three or four very, very hard years, cuts on wages, cuts on pensions, 30 percent, almost 30 percent unemployment. This is a really disaster.”

Chris Burns: “Some people say it has been taken to the breaking point socially, but you are still optimistic?”

Maria Damanaki: “I am still optimistic. Why? Because we can see a slight light now at the end of the tunnel. For the first time Greece has a surplus and there are some reforms ongoing and we are expecting some tourists, a lot of tourists actually this summer. So if we are going this way I think that at the end we are going to earn the game, but the difficulties are still there.”

Chris Burns: “Exactly. We still have to keep our fingers crossed. Let’s go quickly to the questions now. This one from a group called ‘Fish Fight’.

“Hi, my name is Mario Picazo. In Fish Fight we are fighting to end fish discards and there are more than 850,000 citizens that support our cause. The last obstacle in Common Fishery Policy reform is the positions of some member states like Spain, France and Ireland. The Commission and the Parliament support us. But the question is: what is going to happen now that the negotiations include fishery ministers? Thank you very much.”

Chris Burns: “OK. Commissioner this is the trialogue now (bringing together small teams of negotiators), this is where more cooks are in the pot, are stirring the pot. What’s going to happen?”

Maria Damanaki: “Well I am optimistic, I have to say that, because…

Chris Burns: “You are not going to water it down?”

Maria Damanaki: “There is a possibility, of course, for watering it down. If we are going through a negotiation, a compromise, perhaps there are some possibilities for watering it down, but I am optimistic because of all these people, because we have heard almost a million of signatures for this. So about discarding, this is a huge problem. Right now 23 percent is the average figure our fisherman are throwing back into the sea. Twenty three percent and in some fisheries it is up to 80 percent. It’s huge so I think everybody now has understood that. And we had a good approach in the Council between the ministers, no exceptions, which is very important, but of course the time-line is still at stake.”

Chris Burns: “OK. Let’s go to a fisherman and see what he has to ask you.”

“ My name is Clipa Petru, I come from Romania, I am a fisherman and I would like to ask a question to Ms Damanaki. Why does Europe allow high levels of fishing when we all know that there are not many fish left?”

Chris Burns: “ Well that’s a good straight question, what do you think?”

Maria Damanaki: “ We are trying; this is the answer but we are not there yet, so what we have to do and this is what our reform is about we have to be sure that what we are going to remove from the sea is a good quantity that can leave our stocks in good health in order to reproduce. This is what we call maximum sustainability. So I can say that if our reform will be in place then we can have a very good prognosis, because after 2022 almost all stocks are going to be fished in a sustainable way and this means that we are going to have almost 30 percent more jobs in the fisheries sector and we can have also 24 percent additional income, 24 percent for our fishermen.”

Chris Burns: “So that’s another danger with overfishing you are making jobs extinct as well?”

Maria Damanaki: “Well yes we have to keep the balance. This is what I am saying about my job. My job is just to keep the balance between the social consequences and what we can do about the stocks.”

Chris Burns: “And balancing all this with the quality of the fish we eat. Here’s the next question on that.”

“My name is Nicolas, I’m French. I would like to ask a question to the Commissioner in charge of maritime affairs. I would like to know what the Commission does to ensure our health when it comes to what’s on our plates, especially fish.”

Chris Burns: “OK. That’s also a concern.”

Maria Damanaki: “Yes, and it’s a very serious concern because we have to depend on our imports. Sixty-three, 64 percent of the fish which ends up on our plates….”

Chris Burns: “And how much of that is checked?”

Maria Damanaki: “Well we have some checks, yes but we cannot check every fish and you can imagine milions of tons of fish come from other regions.”

Chris Burns: “So are you getting tougher on that?”

Maria Damanaki: “Yes we are getting tougher because we really need to control the situation so we have a lot of instruments in our hands now. Legal instruments and also we can go and even stop imports – that is the last punishment – but we can even stop imports from some countries, from some vessels if we are not sure they are fished in a legal way.”

Chris Burns: “ Another related question on quality. This from a group called ‘Slow Food’. Here’s what they say.”

“My name is Michèle Desmains, I coordinate the Slow Fish Campaign for Slow Food. On behalf of our network, I would like to ask Commissioner Damanaki: how can we use our oceans better while preserving their integrity; if we continue to manage fisheries with a stock by stock approach when interaction among the whole trophic chain (The trophic level of an organism is the position it occupies in a food chain). The environment is so much more complex and promoting aquaculture is a little bit like wanting to take care of the forest by putting farms in it. “

Chris Burns: “Well that’s an interesting analogy what do you think about that?”

Maria Damanaki: “They know the game. So labelling is my first answer, we need labelling, good labelling and that’s why I have a proposal which is still on the table. Unfortunately the Council has not agreed and the parliament is rather reluctant, but I hope I am going to get it though. So my idea is that every fish, every fish at every supermarket throughout Europe will have a label saying if it is fresh or defrosted and when it was fished. And then we also need to take care of aquaculture, because aquaculture can be an alternative to overfishing since we cannot ….”

Chris Burns: “It has to be done right….”

Maria Damanaki: “Yes it has to be done; so our new financial instrument is going to ring-fence some money especially for aquaculture, aquaculture in the sea but also in fresh water; so all the countries, all the member states – even the landlocked countries – are now interested about having aquaculture projects and trying to produce fish.”

Chris Burns: “OK I am going to try and fit in these last questions if we can. This one from Greenpeace about quotas.”

“Hi, my name is Saskia, I’m from Germany, but I work here in Brussels. The Commission identified excess fishing capacity as a key driver for overfishing in Europe. Now that the Commission’s proposal to cut over-capacity by a quota trading system is off the table, what solutions would you be looking for in the CFP reform to cut over capacity? “

Chris Burns: “How are you going to do that?”

Maria Damanaki: “ I have to be sincere. This will be very difficult. But what we can do is launch this idea of conditionality, referring to the money we are giving to our member states. So we have a fund. It is taxpayers’ money of course, so we have to have some strict rules; saying in a very concrete way the member states cannot get enough money from this pot, if they are not going to reduce over-capacity. “

Chris Burns: “One final question about sustainable fishing, have a look.”

“Hi, I’m Lorena Stoika from Romania, and I want to ask you about sustainable fishing. Why the Europeans allow fishing on a high scale when it is not sustainable and what do you want to do about it, Mrs Damanaki? “

Maria Damanaki: “ What we are going to do is turn up the way we are going to give money. Now we are going to give more money to small scale vessels. We are going to enhance these people, local communities, local fishermen. Also we are going to give them money in order to revitalise local economies, the spouses to cook the fish, to process the fish. This is the only way to try and enhance small scale vessels and local economies – through a positive way – and of course we have to limit a little the way our huge vessels, huge trawlers are fishing.”

Chris Burns: “It is all about balancing all those interests. Thank you very much Commissioner for tackling these questions and I am glad you could join us on I talk.”

http://rfs.seafish.org/

Seafish responsible fishing scheme , proof that the UK fleet goes further than required to fish sustainably

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21993684

Mislabelled fish slip into Europe's menus

We are all eating much more fish than we used to - but are we eating the fish we think we are?

Official figures show that global consumption of fish and seafood per person is rising steeply - but research also reveals that much of what gets sold turns out to be not as described on the packet.

Earlier this year Europe's horsemeat scandal revealed how processed meat can get mislabelled in a complicated supply chain. That appears to be an issue with fish, too.

On a large scale, cheap fish is being substituted for expensive fish without the consumer knowing. Moreover, new varieties, never before consumed, are being detected in fish dishes.

Take a British national dish, for example: fish and chips. It is often thought to be the epitome of Britishness - "as British as fish and chips", the saying goes.

But scientific testing reveals that the traditional cod or haddock and chips is often something else entirely. Research reveals that 7% of cod and haddock - the deep-fried staples of British fish and chips - actually turn out to be cheaper fish substituted to cut costs.

In the Republic of Ireland, a similar study of samples bought in Dublin restaurants, shops and supermarkets revealed that a quarter of products labelled as cod or haddock were in fact completely different species.

In the United States, a study showed that 25% of the fish served in restaurants in New York were not what they were said to be on the menu.

And in Europe, about a quarter to a third of fish products tested turned out to be not what was described on the packet or menu.

The global industry transports large amounts of frozen fish around the world in containers, with China producing much of it. This means, for example, that one of the biggest points of entry for fish into the European Union is not a port at all - no wharves or boats or even water. It is Frankfurt airport.

Samples here and elsewhere across Europe are tested at the big Eurofins laboratory in Hamburg. Its Director of Scientific Development, Dr Bert Popping, said that tests were turning up types of fish which had never been in the food chain before.

"The authorities at the airport in Frankfurt have found some new species - species which have not been caught previously; fish species which have not previously entered the food chain; which have not previously been commercialised," he said.

So researchers believe that there is large-scale deception going on when it comes to fish - cheap is being substituted for expensive, so deceiving the consumer and bumping up the profits of the deceiver.

Dr Stefano Mariani, a biologist at the University of Salford in the north of England, did one of the studies. He said: "Consumers should be able to go to a shop and know they are eating what they paid for."

His findings in Britain and Ireland were that cod was being substituted with cheaper fish like pollock and Vietnamese pangasius, which is farmed in estuaries in South-East Asia.
    Ecological risk

Nobody claimed there was a health risk - just that people were being deceived when they bought what they thought was an expensive fish. The lobbying group Oceana, which campaigns for tighter controls on fishing, said the industry was "murky and complex".
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

It would help everyone if every fish consignment had a label saying exactly what it was”

Mark Drummond Vice-president of National Federation of Fish Friers

One of its scientists, Kimberly Warner, told the BBC that mislabelling of fish and seafood mattered not only because of the deception of consumers, but also because threatened fish, in overfished parts of the ocean, could be sold as unthreatened, abundant varieties.

"If you are going to pay for a wild seafood product, and you want to choose that seafood carefully for your health or for conservation concerns, you will not have that opportunity if you are just being served anything which the industry wants to serve up to you," she said.

The scientists who have studied the matter believe that mislabelling of fish is too widespread to be just an accident. They suspect fraud.

Dr Mariani noticed, for example, that the mislabelling in Britain and Ireland seemed to be concentrated in a few fish producers.

"We noted that there were some suppliers that were consistently handling fish that was proven to be mislabelled, which suggests that a lot of mislabelling occurs before the fish gets delivered to the supermarket," he said.

He wants tougher regulation and more effective labelling, so that fish can be sourced and traced.
    Traceability question

He is joined in that by some of the reputable sellers of fish. Mark Drummond is the vice-president of the National Federation of Fish Friers, the trade association for Britain's fish-and-chip shops. He also owns a busy fish-and-chip shop in the district of Idle in Bradford, Yorkshire.

His shop bustles with customers, even though he admits it isn't the cheapest in the area. On the wall behind the chip pans and sizzling haddock, there are signs saying when the fish was caught and by what ship.

"I think it would help everyone if every fish consignment had a label saying exactly what it was. The pubs or cafe or restaurant could pass that information on to their customers," Mr Drummond said.

He says the problem with mislabelling happens more with "wet fish" - fish which is not fully deep-frozen but which is only kept cold on ice.

The fish he uses, for example, is frozen at sea and labelled immediately.

"It's produced on factory trawlers by Icelanders or Faroese or Russians. It's all frozen on the boat within an hour-and-a-half of coming out of the water, and it's labelled where it was caught, the date it was caught, what the species is, so I always know exactly what I've got.

"If you're just buying wet fish and it just comes in an unlabelled polystyrene, insulated box, that's when it becomes more difficult to be absolutely sure that you're getting what you're supposed to be getting."
    Just how fresh?

He adds that fish frozen immediately at sea is fresher than so-called fresh fish. The reasoning is that fish landed on the dockside and then chilled for transportation may have spent some days in that state before reaching the consumer.

"If I didn't use frozen fish here in West Yorkshire", he said, "it would have been brought in probably from Aberdeen.

"The boats sail out for a couple of days, fish for a couple of days, sail back for a couple of days. [The fish] can be five days old when it lands in Aberdeen and another day being transported to West Yorkshire.

"A day or two in the shop and it can be seven or eight days [old] when it's used. There's nothing wrong with that when it's been packed in ice. It's not off, but our fish is frozen within an hour-and-a-half of coming out of the water and we use it on the day when we defrost it."

Either way, he wants more accurate labelling to protect the consumer, but also the reputable restaurant which does not cut its costs through deception.

This global industry is a fishy business - but better labelling, he feels, might help it become less so.

This make me really angry,,seems going with BBC news and this report that some scumbag chip shop owners have been fooling there customers with cheap imported fish passing them off as COD and HADDOCK.....
    where is our scottish leaders comments in this do hard working fishermen have to do there own jobs are yours aswell about time certain people got there agendas right instead of arranging golf matches try and fighting for our industry.......jc
    and you know what to do with you golf match !!!!!!!!!

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fulls...labelling.html

Industry Response: Fish mislabelling
    Published: 02 April, 2013

As a body representing fishermen across England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the NFFO welcomes this study into fish mislabelling.

We too have concerns that cheap, low quality imports of species like Tilapia, Pangasius and Alaskan Pollock are being substituted for fish caught in our waters and mislabelled as more familiar species.

It is not only consumers who are victims in this illegal trade but also UK fishermen who see their quayside prices undercut.

We are actively campaigning for complete transparency in fish labelling and believe that consumers can be confident that fish caught in EU waters are correctly labelled. This issue relates to imported fish only. We support rigorous controls to ensure consumers are fully aware of what they are buying and continue to see fish as a sustainable, traceable food source.

Barrie Deas, Chief Executive, National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO)

http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-new...-discards.html

New priorities for discards

A NEW report by Seafish argues that discarded fish should go into the human food chain under a future discard ban. However, when that is not practicable, then utilisation for fishmeal or fish oil reduction for animal feed, is currently the next best option. Other bulk outlets, such as composting and anaerobic digestion, are also considered in the report.

The report is the result of a study commissioned by Seafish and conducted by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (CEFAS) to identify commercially available bulk uses or outlets for discards that may be landed, and then assess the feasibility of accessing these bulk outlets. The study was funded by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Seafish Project Manager, Michaela Archer, explains: "Under the Common Fisheries Policy reform proposals we know that a discard ban is going to be introduced. This will be a major change for the UK fishing industry. Whilst the main objective must be to avoid capturing unwanted fish in the first place, under the ban fishermen will be required to land all catches of regulated fish stocks and find outlets for it. In the event that a proportion of the discards can't be used directly in the food chain, alternatives have to be identified."

The feasibility study surveyed nine main outlets in the UK interested in utilising discards as raw materials to process into animal, pet and aqua feed; compost and organic fertiliser; frozen bait; and other products such as renewable energy generation. Most outlets stated they accepted raw material in all formats including whole fish, trimmings, ensiled or fresh, and that the majority already had sufficient processing capacity to receive discards.

Estimates of discard quantities from English fleets, based on data from scientific observers, showed that most of the commercial outlets were not located close to the main landing ports where the discards would be likely come ashore. Most outlets however, have extensive transport links that they would use which would enable them to cover even the remote ports. Others would consider setting up facilities at the major ports where most material would be landed if the quantities available were sufficient.

"There are uncertainties about the quantities of discards that may be available but certainly from a financial perspective any discards that are landed should ideally be utilised as food fish, and there are other initiatives to create markets for these currently underutilised species," said Michaela.

"However this may not always be possible. A lot of this fish cannot be sold on the human consumption market due to weak or absent demand, or because the fish are under below a legal minimum size to be sold as food, so they will have to go elsewhere. This study has shown that whilst there is enough interest in UK registered commercial bulk outlets dealing with Category 3 animal by-products to utilise these fish discards, the financial returns to the catching sector would be low (less than £150 per tonne) when compared to the human food chain. There would also be significant issues to address such as setting up storage facilities in different regions.

"Whilst the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) reform discussions are still ongoing, this report shows that there are some potential opportunities for utilising the unavoidable catches of fish which are not saleable for human consumption, but brought ashore as a result of the proposed EU discard ban. Now that these options have been highlighted and assessed the next step will be for fishermen and the relevant industry sectors to work together to ensure this fish can be put to the most productive use," Michaela concluded.

The report is available to download at: http://www.seafish.org/media/publica..._bulk_uses.pdf