Jim Moody Refrigeration ,Whitby - Do NOT buy before reading below
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Moody Refrigeration ,Whitby - Do NOT buy before reading below

Thumbs down Jim Moody Refrigeration ,Whitby - Do NOT buy before reading below

I thought I should post this up, just to make everyone aware of this *seller*and my experience of dealing with him

I purchased a *freezer room* 11 foot x 7 foot x 7 foot , after seeing it advertised on a well know site.
    The seller a Mr Jim Moody of Whitby, a self employed refrigeration engineer, brought it up on a trailer and installed it in my store on 10/12/08.
    Wasn’t 100% happy with the installation at the time, pipes installed above door and above electrics... but assumed he knew what he was doing. I gave him 2000 for it and was told I had a 6 month parts and labour guarentee, the distance away was a concern, but he assured me he was often up in Fraserburgh/Peterhead area doing work, so it wouldn't be a problem.
    The next day an alarm was going off , so I switched it off and on again, it seemed to stop the alarm, this continued for a week ,I telephoned Mr Moody right away and he said 'he couldn't understand what that was' and said he would get back to me...
    The following monday,I put 3 tons of bait in it worth 1500 . A freezer room should get down to -18/-20 no problem, this would go no lower than -14.
    Gradually I noticed the temperature was rising and the compressor was running continuously and becoming red hot to the touch and it wasn’t going on a defrost cycle atall, again I telephoned Mr Moody and he said he couldn't come up right away, but would get back to me
    Over the next week the temperature gradually rose and rose and the freezer contents started to go soft. I could wait no longer so I contacted a local company to come and have a look at it to see what could be done.
    The engineer told me straight away it was not a proper freezer room, but a chiller room, did not have a door heater or a pressure release valve fitted. The freezer equipment itself was described as 'junk' that had been ’thrown in’ it was infact an air-con unit crudely modified and I was told it was totally unfit for purpose and would never work as a freezer. If it was working correctly the door would have frozen shut, and without a pressure release valve may burst open. The engineer tried his best to adjust it but there was really nothing he could do to make it work. I was advised to turn it off asap. He couldn’t believe anyone would sell it as a freezer room and expect it to work properly.
    I left it running over Christmas and new year,going in every day to turn it off to cool the compressor and using a hair dryer to melt the ice on the fins.
    Eventually forced to turn it off on the 3rd January when the temp was 0!
    Telephoned Mr Moody same day and told him, said he would come up the next week and he had another unit that 'should work'. Waited a week, then phoned again, told it would be the next week, waited another week, phoned again, no reply. Since then I have telephoned him almost on a daily basis he keeps turning his mobile off, I have tried texting him and have sent numerous emails in reply to his other ads on the same site .He keeps totally ignoring me, I have tried withholding my number , phoning his house,his mobile, gave him numerous deadlines to get in touch.
    Gave him several choices to come and fix, refund or pay for repairs, his only response was to turn his phone off, very big of him
    Last week I threatened him with legal action, still no response, even got a friend in Whitby to go and talk to him, he promised him he would phone me, never has. Finally lost patinence this week and I have reported him to trading standards, I am awaiting a reply from them, but I expect to have to take him to the small claims court soon.
    He currently still has an ad on that site, I have contacted the site owners to make them aware what sort of equipment he is selling through their site, his current ad has not been removed yet ( for fish hold cooling equipment )He has sold several *freezer rooms* last year through that site and another since I bought mine.
    Just to make everyone aware what sort of person he is and how he treats people , if he thinks I will just get fed up and drop it, he is very mistaken

Default Freezer

Thats disgraceful. Just goes to show that there's still gangsters out there. Money is hard enough to make without someone stealing it which is exactly what he's done!!!! You know what they say fastcat, "Hit him where it hurts, in the pocket"!!!!!

Yeah, nail him, Kevin! Gourdon was gey quiet when I called in last Wed, but did see your Dad for a bit chat.

Thumbs up

Ill keep an eye out for him kevin and ask him AGAIN why he not been in touch if i see him around hopefully this thread will get back to him and maybe get him thinking the fishing comminuty is a small one around the coast

Thanks guys, yes hopefully he will think again, but wouldn't hold my breath

Really can't understand why he is acting like this, not even as if we had an argument or fallen out at all ! He just seems to like turning his phone off , the longer he ignores me the worse it gets
    I will keep on his case for as long as it takes anyway, so in the meantime stuck with a *freezer* I can't use .Can't go and spend money on it in the meantime incase I do get him to take it back and refund .

If he's advertising himself as a qualified refrigeration engineer and selling soddy work then Trading Standards will take him to the cleaners. If he doesn't replace the freezing gear with properly sourced and properly set up equipment then he shouldn't be trading at all. The least he should do is repay you ALL your money and remove the cabinet at his own expense. Small claims court has a limit in Scotland of 3000 ( http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...t_scotland.htm ).

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ead.php?t=6478

Thats what he HAS to have at minimum Kevin so if he hasn't he's trading illegally

just found this as the above is for maintenance only

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...+qualification
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...+qualification

Thanks for that Davie
    I think he would be qualified, his van was well sign written anyway, but there again that doesn't mean anything!
    The guy I got to inspect it has been in the trade over 40 years, and he was pretty shocked at the standard of work , he said it was a open and shut case, not fit for puropse, so plenty evidence for a strong case against him.
    I think it end up in the small claims, not heard anything back from trading standards yet, but don't expect it to be a very speed process unfortunately

Wonder if anyone else has had any dealings with him uo here? said he had done jobs on boats in Peterhead,Fraserburgh and Macduff before .

we had dealings with mr moody here on tiree. he sold us a 20 by 7 by 7 freezer. he didnt even finish the job before he left. never fitted the lights and didnt have proper hinges with him . that was the least of our worries. it wasnt even a proper box,but slot together panels. (it was an outdoor type we ordered). same problem as your unit,overheating not keeping a good temperature and after 2 weeks it was kaput. mr moody was phoned and said he would come and fix it next week, of course he never appeared and that was the last we heard of him. he would never answer his phone after that. a month or two later and it blew into pieces during a january gale. the end!! if you catch up with this waster please kick him in the nuts from tiree

Angry

Geez! Sorry to here this, looks like I am not the only one then
    B****** he is!!
    Don't know how he can sleep at night .

I spoke to trading standards yesterday, they said I have a very good case if it goes to the small claims court. They advised I write to him and send it recorded deliverly, I suspect it will be a total waste of time, but they said it would show I had done everything to contact him and give me an even stronger case .
    I have given him several options and two weeks to reply, if I hear nothing, it will go straight to court then.
    Still keep ringing him everyday, still very good at turning his phone off

Thanks for posting Fishy balls, if you want his address, pm me