Model Trawlers - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model Trawlers

Just to back up Bill Wood's statement that he is there to help others. He is giving up his quality time (Sat 1 March) to travel from Aberdeen to Anstruther to support the idea of setting up a model boat club at the Scottish Fisheries Museum, with other like minded people.

she is 54ft and i reckon the 1/20 scaleis nearer the mark, i have a finished length of about 85cm in mind, its intended for display purposes only, hadn't even though about a sailing model, not really anywhere you could sail a model other than the campbeltown inner harbour. i might consider a RC model for my next project which will be of my own boat i had in the nineties, she was steel so i'm not sure if i could make her in steel/or the modelling equivelent, or a moulded hull of some sort. first things first tho, i have a long long way to go before the first is finished before thinking about the next, walk before i run i think? i think i'll fit belowdecks out in detail and make the deck removable altho it will seldom be lifted for showing, just knowing its there will be satisfaction enough for me. if its good i'll give it to my mother as it was my late fathers boat, if its just ok i'll keep it myself. thanks for your encouraging words, i'm sure i will be asking lots of questions in the coming months, like anyone know where i can get pics of a skagen winch? its not shown very well in any pics and i drew a pic mostly from memory, but i'm sure i've missed something.

Default Model Trawlers

Quiet Waters
    Hi again,
    At 1/20 scal thats coming in at 32" which in my opinion is a wee bit big for display in a house.

Have a look at my build photos of the Faithful.
    The stb side is as normal but the portside has scallops cut out to see into the process deck and galley which will be fitted out . Worth a thought?

Presuming that the Skagen winch is from Denmark. If you can give me some details as to era,trawl/seine etc I can ask Kent from Karstensens shipyard if he can find anything.

Regds
    Bill

i tried looking for a site for the yard but couldn't find anything, it was a trawl winch with friction breaks on the drums, a task to put new shoes on them, you screwed down a big threaded handle to put them on. it was a belt drive with the shaft running off the fore end of the engine with the clutch operated by a wheel with a chain drive up to the wheelhouse to engage it. it had a two big handles you pulled down to engage the drums to winch in, no reverse, that was done by just letting off the break. it was in the boat when we got it in 73 and wouldn't have been aboard her when she was new in 58 for poogy anderson in dunure, so your guess is as good aqs mine, tho the pics i stuck on here of her coming to CN in 73 show a winch that is not in its first flush of youth so i reckon mid to late 60's, i could have just said 60's couldn't i? a saturday night, empty hoose, rubbish film on sky kinda post, don't know the word stop.

as for the size, i want it to dominate any room it sits in, hopefully the quality of my work will justify this, if not i'll stick it up the loft with instructions to shove it in the furnace with me when i go

any info you could get would be much appreciated, its very kind of you, not many could be bothered to help a stranger, especially us "coaltar" i might be dry for last 13yrs but you never get clear of the smell of the salt air
    Last edited by quiet waters; 23rd February 2008 at 22:36.

Davie Tait Guest

Sounds like the same type of winch that I had to use on the Silver Wave BF almost 20 years ago. I didn't take any photos when I was at sea ( like DUH Idiot ( EEJIT more like !! ) ) mores the pity

if ya build it big enough, quiet waters, you could "go" in it.
    proper viking burial and all that.
    if so just don't make it out of too much plastic as it might stink the crem out a bit.
    be a good talking point at parties as well?? lol
    Last edited by nhp651; 23rd February 2008 at 22:52.

don't go putting ideas in my head, if my wife sees that i'll be for the off before i get a chance to get the keel laid. she was having a clear out last week and was heading out the door with binbags of clothes for a charity shop, i stopped her so i could look thru them for material for curtains for the bunks, you should have seen her face when i said what i wanted it for, i haven't started and i'm choosing curtains, think i've said too much, ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
    if ya build it big enough, quiet waters, you could "go" in it.
    proper viking burial and all that.
    if so just don't make it out of too much plastic as it might stink the crem out a bit.
    be a good talking point at parties as well?? lol
    http://www.portrevel.com/
    Last edited by skjold; 27th February 2008 at 21:35.

i take it you added the rolleyes yourself, looks like a great idea, let someone run aboot a carpark in a sinclair C5 and then let them loose with an 18 wheeler ar-tic, playing in wee toy boats to leaqrn how to steer sometihng the length of three fitba pitches, it reminds me of many years ago when i attended the nautical college in glasgow to do my skippers ticket, did my morse, the first aid, my o'level navigation was more than sufficient for the standard needed, then the eye test, excelled in the night recognition then had to read eye chart, that was fine, then i was asked to take off my specs and read it, ha ha ha, had been wearing them for 15yrs by this time from age seven, explained i couldna see the chart nevermind read it, the manny suggested sending me to eye hospital for corrective lenses for two weeks then do test again!!!!! where do they get them from, if it was that easy to correct we'd all have 20:20 eyesight, i explained the error of his suggestion and was told, you had to read the chart without assistance of specs, guess who never got his ticket? today you could get laser surgery, but this was before cd's were invented nevermind laser surgery.
    so lookout when you see a big tanker, he'll think you are very small or very far away!!!!

hi skjold, the web page woudn't come up for me, is there any other way for me to look at it. thanks, neil.