Model Trawlers - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Model Trawlers

super word nhp651 ;-)

sadly Skjold, some people have little idea of what goes into building a GOOD model, and some just don't like to hear the truth.thanks for your support. neil.

you won't find me argueing, i've only started but i reckon i've done about 30 hrs work already which i intend to scrap to start afresh now i have the original plans of the boat that i intend to build a model of. the yard which built the boat have kindly loaned me the original blueprints from 1956 so the work done will be set aside to start over using a scale taken from original plans. i can use the pieces i've made for the hull of a future build but for the present its time wasted in the process to achieve my goal of a model of the boat i grew up working on.

i didn't intend to belittle the endevours of others, i just think it would beadifficult to find prospective purchasers for what would be considered a luxury item. anyone willing to pay upwards of 3,000 for a completed model would no doubt do so as they had an appreciation of the art and skills involved, plus of course the wherewithall to indulge themselves by buying a model. i know it could take up to 300 hrs to build from a good kit, and i know that building from scratch as i intend to do will take at least twice that or more. i fully expect to take a year to build my first model, hopefully to the standard that would gain the appreciation of model builders i know and respect, it is because i appreciate the amount of work involved that i decided to build myself rather than ask someone else who i know would build one for me even tho they would secretly rather not, being to kind to refuse the request.

plus it will give me a lot of satisfaction once completed to look at it and think "i built that" i know someone who turns down requests to build for others as he couldn't charge them the true cost of his time and effort, and i dare say the reduced cost he does sell the odd one for falls way short of their true intrinsic value. if anyone can get commissions for anywhere near the prices mentioned well i say good luck to them, they have my respect, the further i get into my build the more i will respect their endeavours, as i stumble my way towards an imaginary launch date, already i have asked myself how will i ever manage to make something as good as hat and thats only looking at examples of winches made from plasticard.

expect to get your brains picked frequently during the coming months, i hope you will all be gentle with me, first question, has anyone made machinery like winches or engines from the sheet metal that is available? if so can you solder pieces together, has anyone tried?

Thumbs up

you are more than welcome to pick my brains anytime.
    I had a good teacher 49 years ago in my grandfather who had as an apprentice, built parts and whole builders models for the firm he worked for.
    By the time he came to teach me he was practically blind, but as a master pattern maker he could "feel" the lumps and dints in my models that needed sanding and I never forgot two things he taught me.
    1) was that you can "see" more things with your fingers, and
    2) there is never a bad model, as whatever you see displayed is probably the best that someone can and has achieved, and is their pride and joy.
    and sadly there are too many prima donna's in the modelling world that have a skill and yet won't share it.
    god gave me the skills that I have, my grandad just nurtured me into using them, and if I can help anyone, they only have to ask.
    all the best with your model, and I'm only a pm away.
    neil.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Quiet waters when you said about appreciating art. Many people would think nothing of spending 3K on a painting or a piece of fine furniture. High class model making encompasses both disciplines & many more.

Thumbs up

thank you, thats much appreciated, i've been lucky enough to be loaned the original drawings by the nobles yard in girvan, i've still to figure out what scale to use, was thinking on 1.5cm to the foot, want it big enough to be able to hopefully see and appreciate the nobles lines. i also plan to have the deck removable to see into the forecastle and engine room, this means i may have to use solid wood for the frames rather than ply as i'd intended. at the moment i'm collecting pics, its surprising how few i have of a boat we owned for 17yrs, making drawings of the deck layout and machinery, i'm having trouble finding a decent winch pic, my mind even went blank as to its maker (skegan) and i'm waiting on delivery of a bandsaw i bought on ebay, i had bought a scrollsaw but it didn't impress me so i sent it back.

i saw pics of a steel boat where it was left unpainted, the winches looked marvelous with their brass pipework and fittings. is it possible to use the thin sheet metal that i've seen on model sites to make machinery, if so how are parts stuck together, do they solder, glue? i'd like to make the winch this way rather than plasticard method. likewise the cat engine.

you don't know what you've let yourself in for offering advice, i promise not to pester you too often, i'm already planning the one after, my steel trawler Quiet Waters, i might even make them in tandem once i get the keel laid on the jasmine.

don't think anything on the lines of vivaldi's absolutely stunning model at the moment.
    master the art of modelling in simple materials like plasticard, and the rods and tubing that you can
    and buy to go with it.
    think laterally also at other materials that you can use for modelling such as thin solder wire for piping, easy to bend and glue with superglue. plasticard is easy to use, comes in various thicknesses and easy to cut.if you are going to sail your model on salt water don't bother with working lights, the salt in the air will knacker the wiring within months.
    ball point pen tops cut down make good lamp shades on smaller scale models whilst the round barrels of pens can be used for masts and such. make a fitting and then press it into plastercine in two halves, pour car repair resin in and you can simply make multiple fittings.plastic water piping makes good drum barrels for winches and funnels, etc.
    if you think "outside the box" as all these yuppies say, you can in fact make a lot of your fittings in such ways and from scrap materials. the balls out of your roll on underarm deoderant make great bobbins for your trawl net?.
    however the best way of learning about such ways to manufacture such stuff is to go to your local model boat club, act very ignorant and ask HOW. there is a mine of information at such events.but the mane thing is START EASY and build your way up, and remember, there is nothing wrong with building a kit.
    use such glues as two part liquid epoxies, superglues for glueing such items as decks to hulls, prop shafts into the hull and super glues for fittings. use plastic weld for the plasticard, and for gluing wood together use a glue such as an Aliphatic resin which is a quick grab glue and also waterproof.
    I have over the years, designed kits for a manufacturer, and STILL enjoy building kits from others manufacturers for myself.
    there is NO stigma to building from kit,and most of all, enjoy your modelling.
    neil.

http://www.schiffs-modell-bau.net go to ( den meine modelle ) then ( Stril Power) and ca 50% down English 

world champion 15 gold 7 silver and 10 bronze :-)

www.osv-society.info

http://www.alansboats.co.uk
    Last edited by skjold; 21st February 2008 at 21:17.

Default Model Trawlers

At the other end of the scale I can supply a Campbeltown 80' hull and shelter for 60
    Say 30 for plastic/ply/paint/glue etc

50 for motor /shaft and battery

70 for Radio and speed controller

Thats 210 for all the bits
    How does that compare with a Maggie M kit?

I didnt add in the few hundred hours required

Anyway in life you get what you pay for

Regds
    Bill

Default Model Trawlers

I would agree with NHP? that it is best to keep it simple for starters.

Since the original boat was built in Nobles I am assuming that it is about 50'
    and the drawing you have will be about 1/2" to the foot ie 1:24 scale
    This would give you a model of 25" which is OK for display but verging on the small side for sailing

Maybe a better scale would be 1/20 scale which would give a model size of
    30" which is better for sailing.

Essentials at this stage are a scale rule and a calculator as it is easier to visualise sizes in full size,measure them then scale it down

You also need to consider what you want your model to portray. Is it to be
    a) a showcase for your modelling skills such as Vivaldis excellent trawler
    or
    b) A model that shows all the little bits and pieces that you know were on the boat ie a model with a bit of character, maybe with a bit of sea coal in a box drying out ready for the stove etc.

Any thing you need help with -just ask. Thats why we are on this site

Good luck
    Bill W