New TV Series BBC2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New TV Series BBC2

What are members opinions on this series now that we have had a chance to see it all ?

first class ! showed small boat fishing as it is ,spot on with the need to get the british public to eat what is caught on there door step instead of it all going to the continent.i did not agree with some of the comments made about larger boats and the like's of the billy rowney are certainly not industrial size boats, appart from that one of the best programs about fishing thats been on tv for a long time shows true small cove fishing communitys at it's best ! would like to know how they got on with there fish box venture as i think it may well be a good way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by gde View Post
    Lee,my most humble apologies for not replying to your post,but due to ill health I have not been able to log on to the forum.Let me please make you aware that Iam NOT a fisherman but I greatly appreciate what you and any other fishermen do on a daily basis.The program that has been aired over the past few weeks only concerns fishermen such as yourself who go out in all weathers to perhaps have a good catch to land.By the way before I go any further in reply to your statement 'you yourself gde should come down to reality' is quite shocking !

Perhaps its about time that you Lee faced reality and come up to the North of Scotland and see just how much cash the fishermen spend up here.

In reference to Jimmy Buchan of Amity 11 fame,he is putting his cash into his future and his crew,perhaps a shade over 500,000 and in return he may not catch a single prawn !

Lee,a fishermans life is hard,very hard so I would hope that you now understand the difference of an inshore boat and what you have called 'the scottish boats'.I wish you no ill and would hope that you have good fortune and perhaps take note of what a real fisherman has to deal with on a daily basis.All the best Lee.GDE Port of Peterhead.
    O.M.G. Have you got a clue what you are talking about ? It is about time you came down to reality. Do you actually think that there is know fisherman similar to these in Scotland ? You don't know what you are talking about as I said earlier in this thread A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. These inshore boats are world wide and the men in them are the real fishermen, small boats harsh conditions but at the end of the day they have a life. not like going out there for long trips in all weather and there kids asking them when they come home Who are you? I know i gave 25 years at this crap and what have i to show for it. Sicknees , sickness and more sickness. It makes my blood boil to hear people come on hear and preach about something they haven't got a clue about
    A Steady up ya mad animal

gde fisrt of all i'm sorry about you health, do you honestly think that it's only fishermen in the north of scotland who have to spend lots of money on boat repair and gear, feul ect to keep the boats at sea?? what you spend on the boats reflects on what the boats can earn big boats cost more than small boats to run but also gross a hell of allot more and good luck to them i'm not knocking big boats from the north of scotland or any other port in the uk, i think you gde need to understand that there is also a fishing fleet outside of peterhead and the north of scotland which the same as the amitty cost a hell of allot of money to run . as for your last part of your comment could you please explain what a real fisherman is ??? as i'm 39years old and never had a job appart from fishing am i in your eyes not a fisherman?? my view is if your soul income comes from fishing does not matter if it's on a 15ft boat or a 150ft boat your a real fisherman!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gde View Post
    Sorry to have upset you and yes I do know what Iam talking about,I shall support all the men who fish in all weathers in the North Sea.,
    You haven't a clue. You are not a fisherman and thats fine, but to come on here and tell people who have worked all there lifes in an industry that they are using boats that are to small and that they are not investing enough money bla bla bla. How would you like if i went to an engineering site and tryed telling you your job ?
    A Steady up ya mad animal

have to say i enjoyed the programme and i didnt particularly see anything wrong with any comments made,yes big boats cost more and so have to gross more and so they work the deeper water where the sea holds more profit,this makes their job more dangerous for them but please lads dont forget that a small pool in rough weather can easily sink a bath tub so the little boats face an equal danger when they go to sea,we all face the same danger and reap the an equal reward in context and for the most part that is the message being put across to joe public,yes they are trying to help the inshore fishermen who only catch smaller quantities of fish but thats because these boats struggle more to sell at a competitive price that helps keep them afloat,big boats tend to spend longer at sea and have a better chance of making a better living.having said that let me point out that although i am a small boat man i sincerely appreciate the difficulty that big boats face now more than ever with the days at sea problem,i for one cannot see how this is fair when no allowance is given for bad weather or breakdown and i believe this makes their job that much more difficult and is something that this programme could have highlighted although of course they were only interested in small boats,maybe they should air a programme devoted to the problems faced by boats of over 10,something better than trawlermen as i dont believe that trawlermen made enough of a point about the legal difficulties.

I have just finished reading the book