Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TV Series BBC2

Default New TV Series BBC2

The Fishermans Apprentice BBC2 8pm first of a 6 part series

Monty Hall ( Marine biologist ) travels down to Cadgwith to live and work as a fisherman

Well lets see how balanced and truthful this one is then !!!

Missed it Davie,well whats the verdict ??
    Adventurer

switched it off after the first 5 minutes , started accusing all the Scottish boats of raping the seas and destroying the fishing industry , typical BBC with an agenda I'm afraid if the rest was ok I didn't bother watching to find out

I really enjoyed it, funnily enough I thought they portrayed the inshore industry pretty much as it it without any of the dramatisation that I felt somewhat spoilt Trawlermen & Trawler Wars.
    I didn't feel they were blaming the Scottish fleet for destroying the industry Davie, just using old footage from Trawlermen that they already had in the can. They never mentioned any particular fleet so the average viewer wouldn't have known where the boats were from anywhere.

Have to say that I'm not the only one to think the start was attacking the Scottish Fleet Martin , think there's more than a few who think the BBC overstepped the mark this time

Fair enough Davie. Any blame for the demise of fishing should be aimed squarely at Brussels, but then the BBC aren't going to do that any time soon are they ?

I'll watch it again, maybe I wasn't concentrating. Its not as if they are even chasing the same species in the same waters, they couldn't be more different

Thats the whole point Martin , the boats the BBC showed don't fish in the Channel , don't think any of them ever have. Its been a long time since the Scottish boats went south in force , the odd couple of boats for a few weeks thats all and not for a while either so using Scottish boats was uncalled for but not unexpected

Sorry GDE, but that was the whole point of the programme, low impact fishing ! small boats, small crew, low gear costs, low diesel costs. You seem to trivialise these cove boat fishermen who " just went out when they wanted too"
    That is wrong, they go out when weather & tidal conditions allow & fish inshore for seasonal species. They earn a living, maybe not a huge one, but a living all the same.
    So how exactly is this not "reality" ?

Quote Originally Posted by gde View Post
    I have to agree with Davie,the said BBC program showed some guys fishing in small inshore boats that just went out when they wanted too,to perhaps make a living.Considering what I and everyone seen on the program it did not bear any resemblence to the larger fishing boats around the UK.I found the program very boring and for what was caught it did not making any money.This program only showed what one man is doing for himself and in fact was very happy at was he was earning.........Perhaps those guys should come up to reality and see just how much it costs to fish on a commercial basis on a real fishing boat which costs a lot of cash.
    A little knowlege is a very dangerous thing
    A Steady up ya mad animal

gde ,i work a 21ft boat sinlge handed from a small harbour in pembrokeshire west wales,i think you will find that (some guys fishing in small inshore boats) go out not when they want to but only when they can do safely when the weather permits .we on small boats cant plan a trip of 10 days or so like the boats on the commercial basis you talk about,we just grab days when we can.as for not making any money small boats catch small amounts of high value fish,shellfish landed within hours of being caught with no or very little discards which may not look like alot but given our small boats dont (cost lots of cash) to run we still manage to make a living,please remember that there are not only larger fishing boats working around the uk but also small ones ,so perhaps you yourself gde should come down to reality and see how hard it is to make a living on these REAL small inshore boats before writing comments about something you clearly know very little about i also think it was wrong of the bbc to show clips of scottish boats when the guy made comments about larger boats and can understand why the likes of jimmy from amity11 is not happy