Trawler "boston hornet"

Thread: Trawler "boston hornet"

Default Trawler "boston hornet"

Hi, Any information or history on the Trawler "Boston Hornet"2012_0212killalla0008.jpg?? Currently tied up in Killala Bay harbour. Co Mayo Rep of Ireland.She is currently getting a repaint.
    Anyone have any information or history etc on this boat. Thanks.

If You search the galleries joseph You will find some photos of Her with comments which give her history.
    I see the refurbished small pier is being put to good use.

New pier almost ready, Mayo Co Council just to put finishing touches to it. ... but it is being used. Boston Hornet Taking up 50% of the mooring !!! Thanks for the reply found the information that I was looking for Nice history to the boat. She is looking well in her new paint , looks like she is on the move again Thanks again.

Where is She moving to joseph? Has She been sold?

Not sure were shes off to, a lot of local rumors as you can imagine, but she is flying the skull and cross bones !!! great old boat .. I wish her the best where ever she goes, she
    deserves it. I will keep you up dated if I hear any thing positive.

Sad news, The Boston Hornet is now in the process of being scraped. She is still in Killala. A team of scrap merchants are cutting her up at the moment, Not a lot of her left. Just a floating hull, wheel house and all the decking gone, engine exposed ready for lifting out. She will be no more by the end of this week. A sad end to a lovely famous trawler, I guess she was worth more scrap value.

Thats a shame to see another old sidewinder go for razorblades Joseph , guess the costs of maintaining her got too much for the owners and they couldn't find anyone to buy her

Did You get any photos of her being broken up Joseph?

Sorry no photos of her being broken up, the team of guys that cut her up where impressive, took just 8 days. they left the harbour clean again after they had done the job. I did feel a tear on my cheek as the last truck of scrap left the harbour. Guess its just my age !!!! (old bugger)!!!