Campbeltown 87'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campbeltown 87'

Default Campbeltown 87'

Hello everyone, this is a wee request for some assistance. I'm in the middle of building Model Slipways Maggie M. kit. I asked a couple of questions in a post on the "old" site,kindly answered by Davie Tait.

I think I'm going for Defiance LK 371. which will mean a trawl winch behind the wheelhouse instead of the net drums as on Maggie M.
    (Incidently the kit drawings of the Maggie M show the warps going down through doors almost below the gantries - is this right ? I know it doesn't matter when I'm not building the Maggie M. but I'm just curious

I'm building the wheelhouse at the moment but the kit instructions as to the electronics are vague. Could someone please put up a photo of a typical set up, preferably with the equipment in use so I can make a decent representation of screen colours, instrument panel finish and so on.

In finishing this post I want to say a big thank you to all of you who post all these terrific photographs in the Galleries. Unfortunately I have nothing at present that I could put up - but its important that you know that your work is really appreciated by the rest of us

Best Wishes
    Douglas

Davie Tait Guest

Hi Douglas welcome to the new site.

Have you built the gantry on the stern yet?? as the Maggie M kit is actually wrong on this detail. They show the warp block ( the hanging roller ) being immediately aft of the main gantry leg where on the real boats it was out to the outside of the gantry , see the Defiant below

As for modifying the stern , well i'm intending dremmeling off the ribbing to show the 2 doors for the net drums which i'll line in thin plastic card and a half round plastic for the roller on the stern for my model of the Deeside BCK595
    see these photo's for examples

I'll try to find some photo's of electronic displays as I know I do have some but its just finding them in my chaotic "filling" system lol.

Davie

Hi Davie, Thanks for that information. I've not built the gantry yet - ever since I got the kit I've been looking at that part of it with a suspicious eye and so put off doing anything with it until I got more information.
    Overall I've been quite pleased with the kit - but the drawing not being to scale is a pain.

Some of the "exploded" drawings (especially the wheelhouse one) showing how parts fit together don't make it clear whether right angled joints are "side under top or side to edge of top". This means that if you make the wrong choice you can be out of size by the thickness of the plasticard you are using. So - if you've not done the wheelhouse that's one to bear in mind - saves wear and tear on the temper!

Best Wishes
    Douglas

Davie Tait Guest

Due to my health not being too good over the winter i've yet to make a start on my kit. I'm waiting on prop shafts for 3 other kits of warships that I want to build before I start on either my Norina stern trawler of Edwina Sidetrawler hulls I got from Dave Metcalf. I want to make sure my scratch building skills are up to the job before I start on this kit as I really do not want to make a mess of it !!

Davie

I thought Maggie M MBE did have her trawl blocks aft of the main gantry legs Davie. This was due to her having split winches on her main deck set fore & aft up against her bulwarks.
    As was mentioned earlier the warps went straight up through the shelterdeck to the trawl blocks above.
    Two net drums were set on the shelterdeck aft of the wheelhouse. Some of the other 87's had there trawl winches here angled outboard.
    I think that Maggie M was the only 87 to have this winch set up.
    Last edited by martin johns; 16th February 2007 at 21:52. Reason: To correct my dodgy spelling ;)

Davie Tait Guest

I have found photo's that show the arrangement for building the kit as the Maggie M is correct but if you want to build any of the others in ther series the blocks have to be outboard with the main winch's aft side of the wheelhouse.

Thanks for keeping me right Martin , need pointing in the right direction at times lol

Davie

Hi Martin,
    it really would help me a great deal to have a G. A. Drawing (or rather a scan of one) for the Defiant and/or the Guardian Angell.
    As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm finding the drawings and information supplied with the kit to be a bit vague.
    I think it is because the Maggie M winch/gantry/block set up seems to be the only one of its type that I'm inclined to go for something different - more generally typical of the boats operating in Scotland.
    Unfortunately I have never managed to be at a port when there is a Campbeltown 87' there, so no chance to take photographs.
    Best Wishes
    Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Hello everyone, this is a wee request for some assistance. I'm in the middle of building Model Slipways Maggie M. kit. I asked a couple of questions in a post on the "old" site,kindly answered by Davie Tait.

I think I'm going for Defiance LK 371. which will mean a trawl winch behind the wheelhouse instead of the net drums as on Maggie M.
    (Incidently the kit drawings of the Maggie M show the warps going down through doors almost below the gantries - is this right ? I know it doesn't matter when I'm not building the Maggie M. but I'm just curious

I'm building the wheelhouse at the moment but the kit instructions as to the electronics are vague. Could someone please put up a photo of a typical set up, preferably with the equipment in use so I can make a decent representation of screen colours, instrument panel finish and so on.

In finishing this post I want to say a big thank you to all of you who post all these terrific photographs in the Galleries. Unfortunately I have nothing at present that I could put up - but its important that you know that your work is really appreciated by the rest of us

Best Wishes
    Douglas
    Hi There, I have purchased a second hand Maggie M, and i'm working on her just now to improve her as well, Have a look at Model Slipway Models and click on photos, Then on the right side you can veiw photo's of the Real Maggie M, photo's of the rear gantry and blocks etc, l would be happy to take photos of mine too help any body with details etc. Hope this might be of some help.
    Regards David.

Thanks for your message Scottsman, I have looked at the Model Slipway website and there are some good pictures there.
    I'm building my model based on one of the scottish boats such as Defiant LK371 and these have a different gantry set up.
    Martin Johns was kind enough to send me some drawings scanned from Daytons Guide to Fishing Vessels and these have helped - however there are still some details I'm not clear about .
    If anyone out there has pictures of the general deck layout (particularly the after end of the Defiant/any of the scottish Campbeltown 87' boats rigged for trawling) I'd be delighted if they could post them.
    Best Wishes
    Douglas

Davie Tait Guest

I had uploaded 3 folders this afternoon but due to the outage they've gone so i'll upload them tomorrow again.