Pelagic skippers pay heavy fines over "black fish"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelagic skippers pay heavy fines over "black fish"

Default Pelagic skippers pay heavy fines over "black fish"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-16222269

Fishing skippers who lied about the size of catches from their Shetland boats have been ordered to hand over almost 3m in confiscation orders.

Judge Lord Turnbull made 17 orders at the High Court in Edinburgh, over so-called "black fish".

The decision is set to allow the skippers to be fined next month.

Fish processing company Shetland Catch, which has admitted helping the skippers to give false information, has still to settle the question of confiscation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-16353451

47.5m Shetland 'black fish' scam details revealed

Details have been revealed of a 47.5m "black fish" scam which involved more than a dozen skippers and a fish processing company on Shetland.

The scam allowed the fishermen to land more mackerel and herring than they were allowed under EU quotas.

Scales at Lerwick-based processing company Shetland Catch Ltd were set to underestimate the weight of the fish being landed by the boats.

Seventeen skippers have previously admitted their part in the scam.

Earlier this month they were ordered to hand over almost 3m in confiscation orders.

They are due to be sentenced next month.

The BBC had challenged the reporting restrictions which had prevented the reporting of the extent of the false declarations to the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency, and the method used to make the undeclared landings.
    Proper weight

Weighing scales at Shetland Fisheries were linked to computer screens showing the weight of fish landed.

The screen in the main floor of the fisheries, which was viewed by SFPA officials, was set to give a lower weight of fish than had been landed.

The proper weight was displayed on a screen in the engineer's room, in a part of the operation which was off limits to SFPA officials.

The SFPA had launched an investigation due to suspicions of widespread illegal landing of pelagic fish.

Accountants found that Shetland Catch Ltd's outgoings could not be supported by declared earnings.
    Confiscation orders

The company has been taken over since its involvement in the scam, which took place between February 2003 and March 2005.

The 17 skippers have been ordered to pay back sums ranging from 2,700 to 425,900. The confiscation orders are:

Laurence Irvine, 66, of Aviemore, Symbister, Whalsay - 210,700; Gary Williamson, 52, of Norvag, Symbister, Whalsay - 118,500; William Williamson, 64, of Westerlea, Symbister, Whalsay - 213,200; George Henry, 60, of Noonsbrough, Clousta, Bixta - 51,300; John Stewart, 56, of 57 King Harald Street, Lerwick - 41,300, and Colin Leask, 38, of Vaarhjem; Simbister, Whalsay - 12,000.

David Hutchison, 66 of Ankerhus, Hillhead, Symbister - 140,900 Robert Polson, 48, of 17 Breiwick Road, Lerwick - 371,300; Thomas Eunson, 56, of Westwinds, Symbister - 140,500; Allen Anderson, 55, of Solvei, Symbister - 2,700; John Irvine, 68, of Braeside, Symbister - 236,000 and Allister Irvine, 63, of Karinya, Symbister - 120,600.

Victor Buschini, 51, of Cuckoos Nest, Kiln Lane, Hambleton, Poulton Le Flyde, Lancashire - 341,000, and Hamish Slater, 52, of 8 Strichan Road, Fraserburgh - 425,900.

George Anderson, 55, of Harbourview, Symbister - 40,700; Alexander Masson, 65, of 89 Strichen Road, Fraserburgh - 283,000 and Alexander Wiseman, 60, of 3 Sandyhills Gardens, Banff - 196,000.

47.5 million black fish in only 3 years, thats bad enough from 17 shareowners, but how much in total over say the last 15 years? It must be hundred of millions if you take into account all the Scottish pelagic boats. Its a bloody disgrace.

when these offences took place,seahorse black fishing was rife in the industry(and accepted as form) from top to bottom-it`s worth noting that a fair part of the under 10 fleet that was decommisioned recently-was built pre sales notes and when the sales notes came in -it finished them as they were tied to a quota that they were built to ignore.-the pelagic men are at the other end of the spectrum-but a sheep is a sheep and a lamb is a lamb-and i`d rather be hung for a sheep than hung for a lamb-let the first man that has never commited an offence stand up and moralise-because i can`t.

hear hear restlesswave,i havent been in the fishing very long but i can well understand the need to try and make money any which way you can,its the fault of beaurocracy and red tape and thats where a percentage of the blame should go.put a horse in a field and tell him not to eat grass and will he listen?not all the while theres grass at his feet!!!

exactly-if you have a boat that cost tens of millions-you gross tens of millions-if you have a boat that costs thousands you probably gross thousands etc etc-so the profits of black fish are relative to your gross-and after all consider the socio-economic benefit of this so called crime-the fish was taken from nobody (it`s not like stealing from the little man at the cornershop) how many people,down the line got (unwittingly) a share from the proceeds?-the bank?-the people who work in the bank? transport companies,net companies,fish processors-right the way down to locals in the public house or corner shop-should these people all be guilty as well-this is just making a mountain out of a mole hill just because the figures are big-time the begrudgers realise how important these boats are to their own economies.

If the "fish were taken from nobody" then why all the fuss about banning the Fareoese and Icelandic boats. Surely they must be taking them from nobody also. Truth is this country and EEC want to keep it all for themselves. Totally greedy.

there i agree with you seahorse....

i dont particularly hold with what iceland did in the cod wars but i cant help wondering what will happen to their 200 mile limit if they join the eu(you will note that i am not aware if they already have)look what happened to the uk fishing rights.if all countries have their own fishing grounds to the exclusion af all others then what happens when the fish migrate?
    i am not sure about this country and the eec trying to keep all for themselves,what i think is its more a case of our government trying to give as much the eec as possible and damn the men who vote for them.i suppose it could be said that this country is greedy but does that include the fishermen who are being sold down the river?if your livelihood is being threatened will you not try to make as much money as you can before it all goes tits up and leaves you unemployed?i know i will!!!

Default Fishermen admit false declaration roles in Peterhead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-16443133

Four fishermen have admitted their part in a black fish scam worth more than 8m in Peterhead.

James Duthie, Ian Buchan, John MacLeod and Michael MacLeod made false declarations about their landings at Peterhead between 2002 and 2005.

It was a bid to evade annual quota regulations, involving the fishing boats Sunbeam, Quantus and Charisma.

Sentencing of the four men, at the High Court in Edinburgh, was deferred until March.