TT 55 Utopia

Thread: TT 55 Utopia

Default TT 55 Utopia

Can anyone help me with any history on her

John

What time period is it?
    Douglas
    www.fishingboatheritage.com

Looking for who had her built & who owned her I know she was ins owned by George Main Hopeman I think he bought Her from Arbroath looking for any information about her
    She was built 1949 Forbes Sandhaven
    John

Coxain John

I quote from ‘Tarbert Fishing boats 1925 – 75’ by Brian Ward but have slightly abbreviated as follows.......

Built Geo Forbes 1948 as INS 239. Moved south to Tarbert in 1972 as TT55 and remained there until 1985. During its time in Tarbert the stepped wood wheelhouse was replaced with a steel one by Dickie’s boatyard. The 132 hp Kelvin was replaced with 220 hp Volvo Penta, enabling her to pair trawl with ’Taeping’ TT79 for Hake and later Herring with ‘Brilliant Star’ SH 117. Skipper was John McDougall. Boat sold to Ireland and new owner was Michael Sheehy of Dingle, Co Kerry. Her latest reg. of T43 closed in 2002. There is a photo from the John Crawford collection in the book who I contacted on another matter some time ago but I didn’t hear back from him...that is.if my message reached him.

Noted as; 54.0/L
    52.5 x 17.65 x 5.9 24.39 tons.

Hope this is of some help to you in the jigsaw.

Shoreheid

She fished this way in the late 80s early 90s . I'll get the address of the skipper out of the ledgers and PM them to you. They might be able to fill you in.
    Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.

Oliver Kirwan, Callystown Clougherhead Co. Louth thats from May1990s books
    Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. I also got a an Email today about her history
    Built Forbes 1949
    (CN 159 Annie Philomena) Then (CN 159 Favonious) then (Utopia AH 90)Then (Utopia INS 239) Then (Utopia TT 55) Then (T 43 Utopia) Stopped fishing 2003.
    Spoke to one of her crew when she was INS and all he could remember was she was bought from Arbroath. I am realy confused now.

John

Default Utopia T43

Quote Originally Posted by JEH View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I also got a an Email today about her history
    Built Forbes 1949
    (CN 159 Annie Philomena) Then (CN 159 Favonious) then (Utopia AH 90)Then (Utopia INS 239) Then (Utopia TT 55) Then (T 43 Utopia) Stopped fishing 2003.
    Spoke to one of her crew when she was INS and all he could remember was she was bought from Arbroath. I am realy confused now.

John
    I bought Utopia from Michael Sheehy in Dingle in 2000. Mike had replaced the old Volvo TMD 120 with one the same in better condition and had been using her for gill netting. We steamed her around to the East Coast of Ireland and spent a year or so fitting her out for cruising and rigging her as a gaff ketch. We restored and varnished the original focs'l and added a traditional varnished deck light hatch where the scuttle had been. We also moved the 1980s wheelhouse, which was well made from mahogany marine ply covered with teak forward about 8 feet. This separated it from the trunk cabin above the engine room and made it lower so that she had an appearance more like the old 70 footers. We added manual hydraulic to the powered joystick steering so we could steer with the engine off and put 5 ton of iron ballast in her to reduce the likelihood of capsize.

In 2002 we motor-sailed Utopia to England, France, Spain and across the Biscay to Portugal. One of my fondest memories of sailing was a night sailing with no motor down the Portugese Coast.

There was a moderate Nor' Easter blowing and Utopia held her course like an invisible hand had her for my whole watch of 3 or 4 hours. When we learned to sail her we could get her to go to windward and tack, but she wouldn't perform under sail if there was any sea about.

In 2003 I sold her to a Frenchman Captain Marc Besson. Utopia was hauled for inspection by a yard in Aveiro Portugal and the feedback was that they were impressed at her condition.
    My understanding was that Captain Besson intended to have some work done at the Portugese yard and then take her around to the Mediterranean, possibly for charter.

It is possible that Captain Besson changed her name to a French one sounding like Garavo.

If you are interested in a photo of Utopia in her Dingle days there was a photographic print entitled 'Moon Over Dingle' which features her alongside the wharf. I have seen it for sale in tourist shops in Ireland.