Deans Marine MFV Tradition

Thread: Deans Marine MFV Tradition

Default Deans Marine MFV Tradition

Have been looking on Deans Marine website at this kit. O.K. they say this is not a model of a particular boat, but of a type. What I find a bit peculiar is that they show a coiler on deck together with a sidewinding set up,trawl gallows etc. I dont ever remember seeing a boat rigged that way. Interested to hear from the rest of you what you think.
    Link to Deans website http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/pr...oducts_id/1903
    Last edited by westcoaster; 31st October 2010 at 11:28. Reason: adding link to model details

it's what we in the modelling world call a generic boat.
    a friend who was a kit manufacturer before his death once said to me "bullshit baffles brains, and the more you slap onto a model the easier it will sell" because most buyers buy because they look very detailed, not because they are correct..

you just have to take off what you don't need and build scratch that which you do for your particular boat.
    neil.

Default tradition

hi westcoaster,in the early 70s,a lot of boats were rigged with a combination winch, able to go seine netting and trawling,they were known as dual purpose boats .worst thing ever invented,, boats worked the seine net through the daylight hours then at dark switched over to the side trawl,
    common type of winch then was a MASTRA.

Default Trawl Setup

I have made models of the Millers 56ft and 60ft transom stern boats similar in style to 'Tradition' They had the fore and aft Mastra winch,coiler and some had the three trawl galows ,2 on the quarters and one fwd on the stbd side

Regds
    Bill

Thanks for the information. When all's said and done I doubt I'll be forking out the 360 odd they want for this kit

For less money than that you could get the Our Lass II model from Model Slipway !!

Default Deans Marine MFV Tradition

Davie,
    I already have ! She's on the stocks at the moment, just at the stage of getting the deck on. A very nicely moulded hull but needs a fearsome amount of ballast to get her floating to the waterline - somewhere about 12kg

2st of ballast OUCH !!! , ah well that means I could never own that model , couldn't lift it !!

Default MFV Tradition

Westcoaster,
    I can do a hull and whaleback of a Millers boat for 60

That leaves about 300 to buy a sheet of plywood and one of plastic and 20 for a motor.

Do the maths!
    Regds
    Bill