nuclear submarine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nuclear submarine

Default nuclear submarine

a nuclear submarine hms. ASTUTE. has ran aground off skye, between broadford and the skye bridge.
    not living up to its name..
    it went the wrong side of red navigation bouy!!!!
    its only a couple of hundred yards off the shore!!!
    how do they manage to be so incompetent with úthousands worth of navigation equipment aboard amazes me......

Wheelhouse windows are blacked out

Aye they were testing putting bodies ashore probably at Ashaig air strip seems to be a favourite place ,, just as welll the soon to be mothballed CG Tug is there to get them off again

They managed to get her off the beach just before 6 by the looks of it , wouldn't want to be the captain officer of the watch or the navigation officer of her , my guess is all 3 will be taken off her tonight once its dark. If they remain in the navy I guess they will never step foot on a sub again. Looks like they are taking no chances and are going to tow her to Faslane for inspection but the only place , as far as I know , they can really do much with her is back at the builders or around at Rosyth

Heard they are takin her through the canal to Rosyth.

Default Astute

had to laugh at the news last night, when it said the submarine had a sonar with a range of 3,000 miles.
    strange it couldn pick up the shore at 300 yards????????????
    or the bottom at 3fathom.....
    our navy is turning into a joke,
    between aircraft carriers that cant have planes etc.
    anybody wanting to attack britain ,must be saying the time is right,
    but then
    again what would anyone want this 3d world country for????????
    do they not have a simple thing such as an echo sounder totell them the depth theyre in????????

3,000 mile range listening ( passive acoustic ) only dan , the whole reason these subs are so stealthy is that they do not use active sonar which would give their location away. Since it was just a training exercise I think they should have had the sonar on for the depth which would have prevented this debacle.

Default Astute

said in the paper if the sub was sitting in the english channel, it could tell if a ship left new york harbour etc.
    at the end of the paragraph it said,therewas a huge lack of common sense and basic navigation skills aboard, which is plainly obvious,,,,,,,

At low speeds, surfaced and in confined area they are as hard as hell to stear as they said on the radio this morning but given the cost and equipment they have you would expect alot more!
    Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.

Default steering

the latest in the paper today was,,,they steer by a joystick,so the poor guy doing the steering is going to carry the can,,mebey he was playing super mario at the time??????
    the skipper said somebody younger should be in control of that sub he,s too old at 47......