FR 347 Ocean Dawn

Thread: FR 347 Ocean Dawn

Default FR 347 Ocean Dawn

Hello, I'am Frits and I live in Den Helder, The Netherlands.
    Can annyone tell me, what happend with FR 347 "Ocean Dawn" ?
    She was build in 1974 as beamtrawler HD 26 "Hoop op Zegen".
    Sold in 1992 to Ian Ritchie.
    After 1999 I lost track of this vessel. I heard she was sold to Brazil.

Davie Tait Guest

Hi Frits,
    As far as I know she is out in Brazil. There were photo's of her in Fraserburgh harbour online but I can't remember which website they were on. I might have a couple of photo's but I haven't found the negative's for those years yet.

Davie

Yes Skjold, that is the one I'am looking for. On this picture she is a beamtrawler, but I heard she is converted into a shelterdeck trawler.
    What I want to know is, is her name and owner in Brazil.

Default Ocean Dawn

She was converted to trawling about 15 yrs ago by Miller of Methil
    It was a strange set up with the nets pulled up in tracks on Pt & Stbd of wheelhouse on top of shelter.

Heresay:
    I dont think she fished well out of FR and the owner took her out to Brazil on a contract. On arrival I think there were problems with the licence and she never fished there. The boat was tied up and bits and pieces got stolen and she didnt come home again.

Bill Wood

Default FR 347 to Brazil

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I found on the internet, about the trip to Brazil.
    Then there was the "Ocean Dawn" 100 feet of prime Scottish fishing boat whose skipper owner ran off with it to Brasil. That might not have mattered but a UK bank had a large mortgage on the boat and really wanted its security back. So our fisheries partner Tony Eden was despatched to find the boat, hidden up a creek in the Amazon jungle. I followed later and ultimately Derek Williams came out, which is how we all met, an event which later led to the setting up of Maritime Resolve. Anyway, the boat was found, held at Belem and eventually the slow grinding of the Brasilian legal system released her to return as far as the welcoming arms of the Admiralty Marshal at Gibralter. Ah, Gibralter, friend of the non-performing mortgage. During the height of the Adriatic Tankers collapse I had brought in three ships, all in a row, at the detached mole.

So I don't think he had a contract overthere.

Best regards,

Frits.

Quote Originally Posted by baadman27 View Post
    Very good!!! Support !

"SPAM ALERT"

Davie Tait Guest

Done and dusted Ally lol thats the 9th or 10th Chinese spammer we've had in the last week !!!

Default deckie

can anybody tell me the conection this Mr Eden had with the ocean dawn why or who contracted him.

Default Hoop Op Zegen

I took a lot of photos of her when based in Holland, and with help of a GA drawing from Visser drew a model plan of the boat.