By Catch

Thread: By Catch

Default By Catch

As someone who has never had to earn his living from fishing although my father, grandfather and many uncles did I just about feel I can make a comment on a subject that occurs to me when ever I watch the Trawlermen series.
    It is that of by catch, I am pleased for them when I see a good haul come aboard whether cod, haddock , prawns or what ever and then feel it is so wrong to see so many immature fish dead on the belt.
    I would be interested to hear real fishermanís views of the loss of future catch and do they feel it is doing the damage I feel it must be doing to stocks and have they any ideas how these immature fish could be returned alive to the sea.
    I also remember my late father bemoaning the fact that industrial fishing was taking the food out of the mouths of more useful profitable fish. Is the practice still prevalent?
    billblow

Default discards

there will allways be dead immature fish /shellfish, caught in trawl nets, even with square mesh escape panels, some are lucky and escape ,but as the net is moving along all the time , all the small ones cant escape they are mashed together with everything else going down the bag..
    mebey something along the lines of trammel nets, start off at the mouth of the net at 100ml, then decrease as it gets nearer the codend.
    personally im not thinking about the fish i might catch in the future as most fishermen live and work from day to day,
    of course in a perfect world it would be great if all unwanted fish etc escaped, but the nearest to that scenario would be static gear ,traps for fish/shellfish with proper sized meshes to allow juveniles to escape etc,,
    re. industrial fishing, thats just commercial suicide,im not sure how much of that still goes on,
    another thing when the cod are spawning and have roes in them they should be classed the same as a berried lobster and left alone to spawn, one years spawning would greatly improve the cod numbers..
    instead of cod roe in the fish shops...

danleno
    So they are dead when they come aboard are they?
    billblow

There will always be immature fish in the catch Bill, when the cod-end fills it closes the meshes making it harder for the small fish to escape, the square mesh panel's do help but think they could do more good if closer to the cod-end.
    Scientific advice on fish stocks is a complete joke as every week thousands of boxes of large mature fish are dumped back over the side dead because there arent supposed to be any (leading to no quota for the species ) in the sea, in my view having worked at the fishing for 35 years is were doing far more damage to the industry than good.The word conservation means nothing to scientists or the politicians who decide what we can catch and how much, as is proved every year when you have to dump more and more mature fish just to try and survive. Only chance we have of saving a dying industry is managing our own fishery,if we dont come out of the CFP there wont be an industry left.

Ally
    I didnít understand you actually had to dump decent fish overboard because they donít exist. Make you laugh it was not so sad.
    billblow

Been going on for years Bill, they only show you what they want you to see on these tv shows, thats all they are as most of what you view dont actualy happen on a fishing boat.

Default bycatch/discards

hi billblow, yes a lot of small and big fish are dead when they come aboard,
    when you have 20 to 50+ boxes of fish in a codend, they are squashed against the meshes,and die, its inevitable.
    even the ones that are lucky????????????? enough to get out the square mesh panel could be damaged in the process,,,

thanks danleno
    As I said I didn't feel qualified to comment on the subject only make an observation.
    I was in agriculture all my working life and you don't see a farmer killing his young stock to get to the fat ones.
    I assume research into nets is on going and one day the young will live to grow fat also.
    As I said not a criticism just an observation in wanting to see a great industry to continue up there and not totally disappear as it has done here on the Humber leaving the towns much poorer in so many ways
    billblow