Sailing Fishing Boats

Thread: Sailing Fishing Boats

Default Sailing Fishing Boats

Has anyone got experience of rigging and sailing a traditional fishing boat of say 20ft to 30ft? I'm thinking about a Yorkshire Coble or a Fifie or a Norse double ender.
    I'm wondering for instance what adaptions are needed to the hull or keel or ballast to give stability under sail. I've seen beach boats of this kind in Northern France and they have little drop keels that they use when under sail.
    I would like an arrangement that I could work single handed so I also wonder if lug sails wouldnt be the easiest to work especially when tacking.
    I woud have an auxilliary motor in her.
    I would really appreciate any advice at all that any of you can give.
    Thanks
    Douglas

Hi Douglas
    Can tell you a little about a sailing northumberland coble.
    A sailing coble was built with a much deeper forefoot than a modern day coble to give a much better grip of the water. And a long rudder was used.
    Ballast was made up in the form of sandbags that could be moved easily from one side to another.
    My dad is doing up an amble built coble at the moment with the intention of rigging it to sail again.
    A few of pics of models showing the rig of a sailing coble.
    http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...hp?photo=93084
    http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...hp?photo=93086
    http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...hp?photo=41659
    Maybe not a great help, but hope this is of some intrest.
    Cheers David
    Last edited by valhalla; 7th February 2010 at 21:15.

Hi Douglas
    I would go for a standing lug rig as the dipping lug is to hard to do on your own.If using a traditional boat some ballast in the wings would help,we put a couple of ton in a 30ft Fifie,it takes four of us to dip the sail to tack(pictures of her on here Robina inglis)
    Regards
    Davy
    bow tow

try find a copy of edgar j march's book - 'sailin drifters'. Everything you need to know in there, including plans

Douglas

I second the advice given above - a standing lug is a very easy sail to use - and you can also set it up easy (simple rigging) if the boat will not lie afloat fully rigged.

As for ballast - you would need it on a traditiional boat hull - up to 20-30% of the total vessel weight/displacement. There should be space for it along the top of the keelson if the hull is of the style which can sail. Even better if there is space below the floorboards in the wings.

If you want to be inspired, watch this video of traditional style Canarian boats racing with a huge lateen sail (related to our dipping lug) -and a huge crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtcZjAuF4A

A bit extreme - but hats off to them

our yawls in donegal-which were in the same size range always used sprit sails-big areas of canvas,easily managed and it only took a shift of a sheet to tack. and if the weather was bad they would take the sprit out of the sail as a reef. (termed here to sail with a leach-don`t know why!)

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info and advice guys!
    If I was buying a yorkshire coble would there be any specific hull shape to look for or should any of them be able to be sailed?
    Douglas

Hello guys, im a crewman on the Runswick Bay rescue boat,and were having our weekend on July 30th &31st,we'd love for anyone with a Coble (preferably sailing) or double ender,to visit Runswick for some part ,all of our weekend. We have a Fifie;"The Reaper",visiting,plus an old rowing lifeboat from Whitby. It would be great to get as many cobles in the Bay as possible. If anyone is interested in coming,please let me know,cheers,Neil . neilsy@aol.com