Three dead after boat overturns - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three dead after boat overturns

Another sad loss to the fishing community. R I P lads and my heartfelt condolences to their families

Once the other 2 men are named I will set up an online condolence book similar to the one I set up for Kevin West

Unhappy Aquila

Another sad loss for the fishing community RIP lads

Unhappy

Very very sad news indeed............a massive loss to all the families and the fishing community of Maryport............R.I.P

I have set up a condolence book once it has gone live I will post the link in here.

Rest in peace guys.

Skipper Tony Hayton , 45
    Crewman Thomas Sanderson , 52
    Crewman Peter Hilton , 52

Default Plans made to recover death boat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8162565.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Divers are expected to inspect the scallop dredger that capsized leading to the loss of three crewmen before the boat is towed to a nearby harbour.

The Aquila overturned off Ardnamurchan Point in the west Highlands on Monday.

Skipper Tony Hayton, Peter Hilton and Thomas Sanderson, all from Cumbria, died. A fourth member of the crew, who is 32, survived.

A fishing boat, the Silver Dawn, has been hired to stand by the upturned hull until it is towed to Mallaig.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch will investigate why the boat capsized in relatively good conditions.

The survivor was picked up by a yacht, a twister called Arran Comrade, and has been released from hospital.

The other three crewmen were recovered from the water but were all pronounced dead on arrival at Broadford Hospital on the Isle of Skye.

A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesman said none of the four was wearing a lifejacket.

He added that wearing the gear may have helped to save their lives.

Fishing industry leaders have paid tributes to the crewmen who died.

A coastguard tug - Anglian Sovereign - was anchored near the upturned hull of the Aquila as a precaution against pollution from the boat.

Default Capsize boat fishermen remembered

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8162564.stm

Three Cumbrian fishermen who died when their boat capsized off the coast of Scotland will be remembered in their home town at the weekend.

Skipper Tony Hayton, 45, Peter Hilton and Thomas Sanderson, both 52, all from Maryport, died when the scallop dredger Aquila overturned on Monday.

A memorial service will be held in the town on Sunday evening and a minute's silence held during the blues festival.

The boat capsized off Ardnamurchan Point in the west Highlands.

A 32-year-old man was rescued and was later released from hospital.

'Many emotions'

Maryport Mayor Peter Cross said the mood in the town was: "One of shock, devastation. It is quiet around Maryport in the last couple of days in the build up to the blues festival.

"It's very, very sad. It's an awful thing to have to deal with for anybody."

Coastguards said the men were not wearing lifejackets. The Marine Accident Investigation Branch will investigate why the boat capsized in relatively good conditions.

Mr Cross said: "It's a tragedy that shouldn't happen in this day and age.

"These people go out to do their jobs every day and obviously they know the risks, but it's an awful thing to happen nonetheless."

A memorial service will be held at Christ Church, near the harbour, at 1800 BST on Sunday.

Kevin Ellis, team rector of the Anglican churches in Maryport, said: "The families, like the rest of the community, are demonstrating lots of emotions - sadness, grief, shock, bewilderment."

Default Funeral for boat death fisherman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8176378.stm

The funeral of one of three fishermen who died when their boat capsized off Scotland has been held on Thursday.

Peter Hilton, 52, died along with skipper Tony Hayton, 45, and 52-year-old Thomas Sanderson, all from Maryport, Cumbria.

Mr Hilton's funeral service took place at the town's Christ Church, near the harbour.

The scallop dredger Aquila overturned off Ardnamurchan Point in the west Highlands on 20 July.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch will investigate why the boat capsized in relatively good conditions.

The funerals of Mr Hayton and Mr Sanderson were held in the town earlier this week.

Default Kyle of Lochalsh

Just been looking on another site and came across this a very sad sight

http://forum.shipais.com/uploads/125...8_11_37153.jpg

R.I.P
    Tony