Three dead after boat overturns
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three dead after boat overturns

Unhappy Three dead after boat overturns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8160191.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Three people have died and one man has been rescued after a clam dredger capsized off the Scottish Highlands.

The rescued man was pulled from the water off Ardnamurchan Point by a yacht crew. Northern Constabulary said his injuries were not life threatening.

A member of the public spotted the boat capsize near Bo Fascadale, about 1.5 miles north of Kilmory, Ardnamurchan, at about 1710 BST.

Two helicopters, a lifeboat and several other vessels are involved.

By 1815 BST one man had been pulled from the water by the crew of the yacht, "Arran Comrade", which had responded to a coastguard mayday call.

A coastguard spokesman said the man had not been wearing a lifejacket.

'Very sad'

He was transferred to the RNLI lifeboat from Mallaig and taken to Belford Hospital in Fort William.

The other three were later recovered from the water but were all pronounced dead on arrival at Broadford Hospital on the Isle of Skye.

RAF spokesman Michael Mulford told BBC Scotland: "The saddest thing is that the actual capsize was witnessed, which meant that the alarm was raised literally as the event happened.

"It's really very sad, that after all that effort, to have to concede that at the end of the night only one of those four is going home safe and well."

A police spokesman said one of the dead men was recovered by the RNLI lifeboat from Mallaig, the second was recovered by a Navy helicopter and the third by the Stornoway Coastguard helicopter.

Details of the deceased will not be issued until next of kin have been informed and formal identification has taken place.

The spokesman added that inquiries would be carried out into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
    Our thoughts go out to the families of the men who have been lost. I'll update this if I find out which boat it is that has been lost.

Just been on the STV news and they're saying its an Ayrshire ( probably BA reg ) boat. Boat name and the names of the men will not be released until next of kin have been informed

Default Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Davie Tait View Post
    I have had it confirmed that it is the Aquila BA379 thats been lost. I didn't feel happy about asking our members for the use of any photos for the BBC ( they phoned to ask me if I had any ) so I passed on David Linkie's phone number.

A very very sad day indeed , I remember just how bad it was when the Majestic capsized and sank 20 years ago
    Dreadful news RIP to the boys and deepest sympathy to all their nearest and dearest
    Last edited by 3762dazzer; 27th July 2009 at 21:40.

it was the aquila. R.I.P

Default Aqulia

is that the Aqulia registered BA.379? R.I.P lads, my condolences to the families.

Very sad. Yet another reminder of the true cost of fish.
    Condolences to all the families of the lost men.
    Last edited by martin johns; 21st July 2009 at 09:42.

R.I.P Lads

A heavy price to pay.My thoughts go out to the families.

Just watching the STV news and the eye witnesses say she was stemming up the shore and was hit by a wave and just went over.

My deepest condolences go out to Tony and the other 2 mens families that have been lost.