Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staithes cobles

Default Staithes cobles

Hi everyone, i am looking for info on the whereabouts of the following ex Staithes cobles. "Ocean Queen", "Star of Hope", "Endurance","Embrace" & "Coronation Queen". I know "Alliance" has been destroyed..but would love to know if any of these others survived.
    Cheers guys
    Neil

Thumbs up Staithes Cobles

Hi Neil,
    The Endurance Wy89 Is Now In Sunderland, I Think The Star Of Hope Went To The Tees A Few Years Back, Possibly Paddys Hole ?.

Cheers, Paul.

Neil,

Coronation Queen went to Whitby after she was replaced with Ocean Queen in the early 1970s. There she was fitted with a small wheelhouse aft of the half deck, like some of the larger Whitby boats. Last time I actually saw her was in 1989 in Whitby Harbour just before I moved to Australia. I looked for her there again on a holiday in 1999 but could not find her.

I would be interested in finding out if either Coronation Queen WY75 and Ocean Queen WY35 still exist as both boats were built for Bill Harrison my great uncle and I have many happy memories of childhood fishing trips, particularly aboard Coronation Queen and remember going with Bill to see Ocean Queen as she was being built, I think, at Sandsend.

Tony
    Last edited by tonyash; 26th May 2009 at 02:05. Reason: additional information added

WY 35 Ocean Queen
    Bt. 1971 T. Goodall, Sandsend.
    Poss. R/n WY 35 Patricia A Bt. Whitby 1971 ??

WY 75 Coronation Queen
    Stopped fishing 1995/6 Laid up for a while then sold to be restored ??
    Bt. 1953 Harrisons, Amble.

Hi Neil

WY 35 Patricia A
    O/n A24056
    Bt. 1971 T. Goodall, Sandsend, Whitby.
    8.69mt. x 2.74mt. x 1.01mt. 3.89t
    Perkings 4203 78hp. 57.3kw.

X WY 35 Ocean Queen

Thanks so much Stewart,
    I had done a web search on both Coronation and Ocean Queen and found a Patricia A WY35 on the 2005 DEFRA list in Hartlepool. The number is A24056 so it would seem from your information this is a renamed Ocean Queen and not another boat. She does not appear to be on the latest lists however.

I remember Ocean Queen being much broader than her predecessor without any decking and also being fitted with an echosounder which was a real novelty for us kids. Must admit I thought she was built just slightly later than 1971 but memory can be fickle although I clearly remember those trips to see her being built.

Coronation Queen was definitely built in 1953, hence her name. I have quite a few photos of this boat along with a wooden model of her and an older masted Guide Me. Would be great to find out if she was restored.

Thanks,
    Tony

Default staithes coble

Embrace is at Paddys hole painted red with no name and is up for sale for not very much.
    Star of Hope is for sale on the Tyne.

How much does an old coble go for these days?. Looking at the photos on this site poor old Embrace is in a bit of a sorry state, she was George Harrison’s boat in Staithes, Star of Hope looks to be in better nick as does Endurance although both now have wheelhouses, practical I suppose. The location appears to be known of all the cobles Neil mentioned at the start of this thread bar Coronation Queen and Ocean Queen/Patricia A. Both these boats are listed as retired on the Fleet Registry, 1995 for Coronation Queen and 2006 for Patricia A, but not as destroyed, at the time of decommissioning anyway. I would be very grateful if anyone has any further information on these two boats whereabouts or fate.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Default Star of Hope

I bought the Star of Hope about a month back, she is currently lying at Seaton Sluice Harbour whilst I undertake repairs to the wheelhouse, otherwise she's in good condition, the plate in the wheelhouse says she was built by Harrison's in 1967 but I've found a photo on this site suggesting she was around in 1965 in Staithes, I'm assuming the photo caption is wrong by a couple of years. The wheelhouse was fitted in 1997 but hasn't faired as well as the rest of the boat From memory I think the owner at the time of building was someone called Dodds

Default Star of Hope

Socal,
    Great to hear that Star of Hope is around and still in good condition. I must admit I had always thought the Star of Hope was built for one of the Verrill family in 1964/5 just after they sold the Golden Crown and named for an earlier Star of Hope that was destroyed in the storm of 1953. I believe that older Star of Hope was also one of the last boats to be actually built at Staithes. The build plate you have would appear to contradict parts of this but unfortunately I only have my memory of what I saw or was told at the time which, let’s face it, was quite a while ago now!. There are sure to be people out there who would know more than me.
    Good luck with the repairs.
    Tony