Skipper of the Ryanwood FR307 Lost at Sea. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skipper of the Ryanwood FR307 Lost at Sea.

Very sad loss of a great Skipper. RIP

He will me missed by a lot of people thats for sure

My thoughts go out to Kevins family and close friends at this time

Default Community mourns loss of fisherman

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1191340

Quote Originally Posted by Press and Journal
    Hope of finding missing skipper collapses after intensive day-long search

By Jamie Buchan

Published: 28/04/2009

A CLOSE-KNIT community was united in grief yesterday after the loss of one of its best-known fishermen.

Skipper Kevin West went overboard from his trawler Ryanwood on Sunday while fishing 15 miles from his home port of Fraserburgh.

All hope of finding the 43-year-old alive collapsed yesterday during an intensive day-long search of the area, involving about a dozen fishing crews and a lifeboat team from Fraserburgh.

Father-of-three Mr West is regarded as one of Scotland’s most successful skippers, with more than 25 years of experience.

He featured heavily on the BBC’s Trawlermen documentary series.

He was reported missing at about 3pm on Sunday by his crew after he had not been seen for an hour.

The fishermen reversed their course to look for Mr West, who is not thought to have been wearing a lifejacket. A search was launched with a lifeboat from Fraserburgh and a helicopter search team from Lossiemouth.

About 17 fishing vessels went to the area to join the search, which was called off just before 11pm.

Yesterday, Fraserburgh’s lifeboat crew set out again at first light and spent a full day searching for any trace of Mr West.

They were joined by 12 other fishing crews, including those on board the Ryanwood.

A spokesman for Aberdeen coastguard said: “The official search ended on Sunday night. There is next to no chance of anyone surviving in the water for that length of time.

“Crews from Fraserburgh and other areas have continued the search throughout the day. It’s very sad.”

Last night, Mr West’s family were too upset to speak.

The incident, off Rattray Head, comes less than a year after three fishermen died in a fire on board the Vision II trawler while she was berthed at Fraserburgh.

Just days later, another fisherman was lost at sea when he fell from the Fraserburgh-registered New Dawn.

Murray Campbell, senior superintendent at the town’s Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen, said: “Once again, Fraserburgh has been hit by sadness. Mr West was a very well-known fishermen and very popular.

“He will be sadly missed by all who knew him. We have spent the day hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.”

Peterhead skipper Jimmy Buchan, who starred alongside Mr West on Trawlermen, said: “I know Kevin personally and a nicer lad you couldn’t meet. It beggars belief that things like this can happen, but they do.”

I never new Kevin on a personell basis but on the Trawlermen episode he came across as a very Genuine person. My thoughts and prayers go to his family.
    Robert Ritchie ::

[QUOTE=Robert Ritchie;7139]I never new Kevin on a personnel basis but on the Trawlermen episode he came across as a very Genuine person. My thoughts and prayers go to his family. He truly loved his job and cameacross as one of the great Skippers
    Robert Ritchie ::

Unhappy

We all hoped he'd be found....such a terrible tragedy and a true professional as well.....I am so sorry for his family and friends.
    Debra

I have set up an online Condolence book for Kevin

Click Here
    Then click on Condolence book if you wish to leave a message

Davie

Default Kevin West

Only knew Kevin from the Trawlermen series a sad loss.I'll always remember him for when he told the new deckhand off for not pulling his weight in the series,condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

Tony.

I sailed with Kevin on Honeybourne 2 He was a very nice guy and very good at his job and I'm deeply saddened by his loss.

Default Sad loss of Skipper of mfv RYANWOOD FR 347

We extend our deepest symapthies from the West of Ireland, a bitter blow to his family and community, may he rest in peace and his family find comfort from the huge respect and love his fellow seafarers had for him. God rest his soul.