Skipper of the Ryanwood FR307 Lost at Sea.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skipper of the Ryanwood FR307 Lost at Sea.

Unhappy Skipper of the Ryanwood FR307 Lost at Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA
    MAN OVERBOARD OFF COAST OF ABERDEENSHIRE

At 3.10PM this afternoon, the fishing vessel Ryanwood contacted Aberdeen Coastguard to inform them that their skipper had not been seen for approximately one hour, and that they were concerned he may have fallen overboard.

The fishing vessel had already reversed their course and began a search for the missing crew member, who was said to be unlikely to be wearing a lifejacket. Extremely concerned for the safety of the skipper, Aberdeen Coastguard requested the launch of the Fraserburgh RNLI All Weather lifeboat and Rescue Helicopter 137 from RAF Lossiemouth.

Subsequent to this, Aberdeen Coastguard also broadcast a Mayday relay message informing shipping of the incident, which has led to 17 other vessels volunteering to assist in the search which is still currently ongoing off the coast of Aberdeenshire.

Aberdeen Coastguard have drawn up a search plan for the incident, and due to the size of the area, split the search into three key areas, with vessels split into groups to search each area.

Posted By: Rosie Tapping
    17 vessels are searching an extended area for the Skipper just now.

I hope that they find him alive before darkness comes down , I've known him for over 15 years from my time working at the Marine Lab.

Unhappy

I've just been on the phone to the Lifeboat Station , the search has been called off for the night and the Fraserburgh Lifeboat will be out again first thing in the morning to resume searching.

Not the news any of us ever wanted to hear.

Default ryanwood

any news Davie please.this is the skipper from trawlerman too isnt it.

Aye Davie,

I read the news in the P & J two hours ago, couldna believe that Kevin is missing. I hope they get him aright. and soon.

Jim.

i am sad to hear this news seeing him on trawlermen makes you feel like you know him our thoughts are with those close to him at this time and we pray that they find him save

Most of the boats that are able seem to be out searching for him today. The Lifeboat is still out just now. Weathers not great for a search , the winds got up a bit and its overcast , so I hope they can find him.

Kevin was a topper of a man and will be missed by a lot of people.

Default Search for fisherman stood down

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1189838

This was in this mornings Press and Journal relating to yesterday the search continues as far as I am aware

Quote Originally Posted by Press and Journal
    Hopes fade for north-east skipper as it is feared he has fallen overboard

By Shona Gossip

Published: 27/04/2009

A search for a fisherman who fell from a boat off the coast of Fraserburgh was stood down last night.

Hopes were said to be fading after rescuers were unable to find the man, who was reported missing by crew onboard the Fraserburgh-register vessel Ryanwood.

Coastguards launched a major search for the man, named locally as skipper Kevin West, who was reported missing in the afternoon.

Crew members became concerned when they had not seen their captain for around an hour, and raised the alarm at 3.10pm.

A rescue helicopter from RAF Lossiemouth was scrambled to the scene, where it was joined by a lifeboat from Fraserburgh.

Coastguards also broadcast a mayday and 17 nearby boats volunteered to help search the area, about 15 miles north-east off the Fraserburgh coastline.

It is thought that the missing man was not wearing a life jacket at the time.

A spokesman for Aberdeen Coastguard said weather conditions were good, though breezy, at the time the man would have fallen from the vessel.

He said it was now “not likely” he would be found alive, however.

He added: “The fishing vessel Ryanwood contacted Aberdeen Coastguard to inform them that their skipper had not been seen for approximately one hour, and that they were concerned he may have fallen overboard.

“The fishing vessel had already reversed their course and began a search for the missing crew member, who was said to be unlikely to be wearing a lifejacket.

“Extremely concerned for the safety of the skipper, Aberdeen Coastguard requested the launch of the Fraserburgh RNLI all-weather lifeboat and rescue helicopter 137 from RAF Lossiemouth.”

The search was called off at about 9.30pm last night, but it is expected it will resume at first light today.

The Ryanwood, which was built in Buckie 21 years ago but is registered in Fraserburgh, trawls for white fish alongside her partner boat, Sunrise.

The boat, measuring over 75ft (23 metres), supplies Peterhead Fish Market with a regular supply of fish.

The skipper and crew of the Ryanwood have featured in the BBC’s popular documentary series Trawlermen, which highlights the dangers and hard work faced by the men on a daily basis.

whats the latest davie we are all hoping they find him

Haven't heard any more today guys , the lifeboat was still out after 2pm today and I really don't want to phone the Station or the Harbour to ask , think its better they're left to get on with the search without me calling them.

Hunt continues for lost fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Searchers have been continuing to hunt for a fisherman thought to have fallen overboard off Aberdeenshire.

The search was initially launched on Sunday after the skipper - confirmed as 43-year-old Kevin West - disappeared from the fishing boat Ryanwood.

The alarm was raised at 1500 BST when crew members realised they had not seen the skipper for about an hour as they fished off Rattray Head.

Mr West appeared in BBC Scotland's Trawlermen series.

He was not believed to have been wearing a life jacket when he went missing.

A total of 18 boats and a helicopter were involved in the search.

Aberdeen Coastguard said weather conditions had been good when the skipper disappeared.

When the crew realised he was missing, they retraced their route in a bid to find him.

Initially, a lifeboat was launched from Fraserburgh and a helicopter from RAF Lossiemouth.

A mayday was then broadcast and 17 other boats in the area responded to the message and joined the search.