Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brixham Beam Trawler - Charmaine M (B.M.56)

Be aware that recent anti-fouling might be cosmetically covering up rusty thin plate or it could be genuinly there to add to the value of the boat and also to stop weed growth - either way you never buy a boat without a survey unless you know what your looking at !

What a boat is worth is calculated by how much someone is willing to pay If its in need of a wheelbarrow full of 20 notes to fix her up then the offering price should reflect accordingly.

I might be completely wrong but the propellor doesnt look like its designed for the nozzle. It should have broad flat tips with 10mm clearance - the photo shows what looks like a standard propellor
    If I'm right a propellor to suit the nozzle would cost several thousand pounds new unless you're extremely lucky and find an identical match secondhand which will still be quite expensive. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

If the survey is good and you get her for a reasonable price then you've brought a boat thats got character and has probably seen some of the roughest weather in the English Channel.
    There are probably loads of 'liveaboard' ex-dutch beam trawlers in Holland where you could get ideas for the conversion.
    If you ask nicely I'm sure they would show you aboard ........ I'm told the Dutch are very nice people

Good luck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by peps1965 View Post
    Be aware that recent anti-fouling might be cosmetically covering up rusty thin plate or it could be genuinly there to add to the value of the boat and also to stop weed growth - either way you never buy a boat without a survey unless you know what your looking at !

What a boat is worth is calculated by how much someone is willing to pay If its in need of a wheelbarrow full of 20 notes to fix her up then the offering price should reflect accordingly.

I might be completely wrong but the propellor doesnt look like its designed for the nozzle. It should have broad flat tips with 10mm clearance - the photo shows what looks like a standard propellor
    If I'm right a propellor to suit the nozzle would cost several thousand pounds new unless you're extremely lucky and find an identical match secondhand which will still be quite expensive. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

If the survey is good and you get her for a reasonable price then you've brought a boat thats got character and has probably seen some of the roughest weather in the English Channel.
    There are probably loads of 'liveaboard' ex-dutch beam trawlers in Holland where you could get ideas for the conversion.
    If you ask nicely I'm sure they would show you aboard ........ I'm told the Dutch are very nice people

Good luck !!!
    Thanks for your input!

Any idea how much a survey on a boat like this would cost? Are there things I should look out for?

I had a good walk around her the other day (the Severn was flat). Her hull looks pretty good - though I don't know that much. But her hull certainly doesn't look damaged or worse for wear. She hasn't been antifouled/repainted recently, so I guess what she looks like is a fair representation of what she is...

We haven't exhanged contracts or cash yet - but we did start cleaning up some junk around the boat.

I dont know how much a survey is, they probably differ greatly depending on the qualifications of the surveyor.
    Contact the local Coastguard station and explain your situation and hopefully they will be able to put you in touch with a reputable surveyor.
    He will know what to look for if you dont !
    Certainly ask the surveyor about the propellor because if its the wrong type for the nozzle you want to see that reflected in the asking price !!
    Until I exchanged cash and documents I wouldn't touch anything !!!

i don`t think that the wrong prop in the nozzle is particularly a problem as long as it matches the engine. it just means that you have a nozzle bolted onto the bottom of a boat doing nothing more than being a bit of a rope guard-i`d either ignore it or take the gas torch to it.

A lot of boats just had a nozzle added around the original prop when they first started fitting them. As has been said for a nozzle to really work it has to have a properly designed prop in it not a standard one , you'd probably save fuel cutting this one off as all its really doing is adding weight and causing drag on the hull

As both restlesswave and Davie have said - you're better off without it as they are designed to enhance a boats towing power or 'bollard pull'.
    As you are hoping to convert this to a houseboat its not necessary and as said ..... its adding extra weight and drag.
    Whats 2 ton of scrap iron worth these days

you could sell the nozel off this all you would have to do is advertise it with the dimensions and ask the buyer to cut it off at least you would get something for it as they aint cheap new

Hi elenar, my name is john higginson, did you buy this boat ?, and have you converted her yet ?, my father is mr d bubeer, he owned this boat for many years, origanally with his first business partner and then we got rid of him,then my brother gary and myself went into partnership with our dad,he basically helped us get on the ladder.
    she is a lovely old boat and we spent many good years fishing with her,she was always good to us and a lovely sea boat,took us home safely in many a storm, would like to no if she is still going as many from our fleet have now been cut up and scapped, thats the british goverment for you,they never wanted a fishing fleet and still dont,but there you go.
    please feel free to contact me anytime,would like to know if the old girl is still going strong.
    by the way she was named after my sister charmaine.
    regards john.