http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7990307.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
A police officer killed when he crashed into a bungalow was speeding and using his mobile phone, an inquest has heard.

Det Con Ian Morton was running late for a morning briefing when he was seen doing about 70mph on the 40mph stretch of the A337 Lymington Road in Dorset.

The 32-year-old from New Milton, Hampshire, lost control of his car and hit the kerb while negotiating a new traffic island last October.

He crashed into Peter Tanswell's home, who suffered shock but was unhurt.

The pensioner woke in the early hours of Sunday, 26 October, to smoke, debris and a car in his front bedroom.

Mr Tanswell said in his statement: "I was woken by what I can only describe as two bangs, but prolonged.

"I looked and saw smoke and possibly steam and then saw what I thought was a car."

He called 999 and sat in his lounge in a "dreadful state of shock".

It is clear that sadly Ian Morton was the author of his own misfortune
Coroner Sheriff Payne

Almost every room in the house had to be rebuilt while he and his wife moved into rented accommodation for six months.

Det Con Morton died from serious head and other injuries on impact.

He had tried to call his supervisor Det Sgt Wayne Seymour either just before the crash or at the point of impact, Bournemouth, Poole and East Dorset Coroner's Court heard.

Det Sgt Seymour tried to call him back twice but got no answer as the crash had probably already happened, the inquest heard.

Det Con Morton's friend Angela Wood saw the Dorset Police officer the night before when he told her he was "knackered".

He had worked a 10-hour shift that Wednesday followed by a 15-hour shift the next day and two normal shifts of eight-and-a-half hours on Friday and Saturday.

Coroner Sheriff Payne said: "It is clear that sadly Ian Morton was the author of his own misfortune.

"He was driving at excess speed, possibly on a mobile phone."

He recorded a verdict that Det Con Morton died as a result of a vehicle accident.