Ross Revenge

Thread: Ross Revenge

Default Ross Revenge

I have read all the comments with regards to the Ross Revenge but there is something missing. I sailed on her in June 1966 and she is not the ship pictured here.
    1-: She was a side trawler but only one side port.
    2-: The starboard side had housed a freezing plant or something.
    3-: She seemed bigger than depicted.
    4-: We had a large crew 3 watch keeping cooks.
    5-: We fished 24/7 and fed the same.
    I was a chief cook MN who went fishing to beat the 1966 MN strike as I had a wife and 5 kids to sustain.
    I also sailed on a sniby called the Des out of Grimsby as cook deck hand.
    Now that was story about booze.

I think there was only 1 side trawler that was converted for a short while into a freezer trawler Dave and she was the Ross Fighter , rigged for fishing over the starboard side only , freezing plant on the port side.

Photo of her : http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...hp?photo=57902

The Ross Revenge was originally a port and starboard side trawler built as the Freyr for Iceland ( built in West Germany ) and is still sitting in dock on the South Coast somewhere still called Ross Revenge and rigged with the Radio Caroline mast

http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/

She is currently moored in a private berth at Tilbury Docks and being restored back to her days as a radio vessel. Not be used of course more for an attraction.

Not too sure if you are still around fella but YOU are wrong on most every count!!! Yes, she was a side (conventional) trawler BUT yes, she fished both sides. NO she never did have a freezing plant on the starboard side. YES she was comparatively big! NO she never EVER did have three cooks only EVER one. YES we did fish 24/7.

Perhaps you had a dram or two, possibly even three before you sailed on her, if at all?

I sailed on her new to Grimsby and then again in later years, for a fair old while!

I note you posted nine years ago...perhaps your memory has had chance to sort itself out?