WW1 and WW2 fishing vessels sunk by enemy action lists

Thread: WW1 and WW2 fishing vessels sunk by enemy action lists

Default re armed trawler wrecks

hi davie i dont know if this is of any use to your thread but i have some info on a couple of armed trawlers sunk off the tyne during the war

hmt nubia lies about 2.5 mies east of souter light she was sunk in a collision and six of her crew were lost, her fishing number was gy 1275 im not sure of her name when trawling. she was lost 17th 0ct 1941.

hmt ethel taylor
    struck a mine at the mouth of the tyne 22 nv 1940. she lies about six or seven cables from the north pier light
    her fishing number was fd 363 and i am told she was called "cremlyn"

not far away from the ethel taylor is the wreck of the hm drifter new comet
    who also struck a mine in november 1940

hmt james ludford an anti submarine trawler detonated a mine 5 mile east of the tyne dec 1939

hmt sedgefly 3 mile east of tynemouth, anti submarine patrol vessel, mined
    date unknown she was called "norman" when fishing

hmt william hallett, another anti submarine patrol mined 4.5 miles off the tyne 13 dec 1939 2 crew missing others saved by hm drifter

hmt loch doone lies 5 mile aprox from blyth harbour she was sunk on christmas day 1939 after hitting a mine

may be useless information but thought some of the members may be able to identify some of them further.
    cheers
    hell hath no fury like a man who cant find his tools!

Hello Davie
    Thought you might be interested in this, there is an old photograph of the crew in the POW camp in Germany, I'm going to see if I can get a copy of it and post it, "Auld Johnny" was my Great-Grandfather

Gourdon Boat Crew taken prisoner & Boat blown up - 1916
    When the fishing boat "Bella" was line fishing off Catterline, she was accosted by a German U Boat and her crew taken on board the submarine.
    The "Bella" was blown up by the Germans and her crew taken to Germany, where they remained until the end of hostilities.
    Their names were :
    Skipper James Ritchie ("Auld Brimy").
    his son Jimmy ("Fishbuyer").
    William freeman Ritchie.
    John Cargill ("Auld Johnny)
    and his son David Cargill ("Davity").
    Exerts taken from the RNLI book Wild and Rock Shores.

I noticed the trawler Nubia was mentioned....my Grandfather William Hornby was one of the crew who was lost.
    My Mum was born in Grimsby...married my Dad and moved to Scotland.

Hi Skipper, I see that the trawler HMT William Hallett was mentioned, My grandmothers brother was her skipper at the time, and sadly was one of the two men killed, His name was Charlie Hannant, and his son fished out of North Shields all his life ,also called Charlie. All my family were trawlermen, and sailed out of North shields, as I did myself, so you would most probably know them, my grandfather was Bartie Rouse. I was wondering if anyone had a photo of the William Hallett, that I could purchase ,her registration number was LO353, I am a new member and find this site excellent for information.
    many thanks
    Shellback

I am trying to find any information on my grear grandfathers fishing boat NINA from Peterhead. It was sunk by "fire and explosion" in Feb or august 1917. The mystery is that it does not show up in Admirality nor fisherman museum records. It was steel and I guess not really a steam drifter. A picture of it or similar would be greatly appreciated. I will be in Peterhead on May 22/23, Regards, Walt Kirkbride ( Reid/Bruce)

Nina PD947

http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/N-Ships/nina1904.html

She was a steam drifter ( most of the steel boats built at her size were drifters ) , what's puzzling me is that she doesn't show in any of my reference books

She was sunk 02/08/1917: Sunk by an explosion off Prawle Point which is down off Devon

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Navy...10Attacked.htm

NINA, hired drifter, 2 August 1917, English Channel - 83grt, built 1904, Peterhead-reg PD497, Heask, Mitchell, Martin & Reid, hired 1/15 (D - April 1915) as patrol drifter, 1-3pdr, Admiralty No.994. Skipper George Stewart RNR. On patrol off Prawle Point, Devon. Uncontrollable fire broke out around 2230, depth charge exploded after five minutes and ship abandoned. Two more explosions blew off her stern and she sank at 0054 (wi - in 50.10N, 03.43W; other sources - probably U-boat-laid mine; un - not listed); 3 ratings lost, 1 DOW (H/L/C/D/dk/pd/un/wi; ADM.131/73, ADM.137/487)

Can't find a photo of her but the Fishermans Mission in Peterhead might be able to help

http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/s...p?photo=169282
    ^^ similar sized drifter in war time

http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/s...p?photo=176428
    ^^ Tom's model of a steam drifter , that will let you see what they were like

There was also a fourth casualty who is buried in Aberdeen. His date of death is given as 3rd August.
    I've also had a look for a picture of the Nina but not found anything. The other possible sources of a photo would be Peterhead library or the Aberdeenshire archives at Mintlaw who have a very large collection of photos.
    Douglas
    www.fishingboatheritage.com