Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes : he made the FVB&I book what it is

60 98.36%
  • No : it is their book

1 1.64%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Vessels of Britain & Ireland 2009

I don't think I have missed a year since 95, got the reminder in the post a few weeks ago and the 75 price tag put me off I know a heck of a lot of work goes in to making it and I do usually really enjoy it , but decided not to buy it this year , price and smaller format were both issues for me .
    Hearing how dissapointed everone is, kind of glad I didn't bother this year , maybe if they get enough compliaints they will have to slash the price to shift them.

It looks like a decision by a bean counter higher up i'd say guys. The price of the Fishing News International has rocketed up from around 5.40 to 9.50 a month ( just since December's issue came out ) , the Fishing News has risen 47 or 49p an issue and now the reduction in the content and size of the FVB&I book but yet increasing the price by 10. Someone has decided to hike the prices , cut the costs and obviously decided that people will pay regardless.

That may have been the case 10-20 years ago when we still had a decent sized fishing fleet but not now. I wonder how much the very same bean counters bonus will rise by ??

I feel sorry for Dave , he has worked bloody hard over the years making the FVB&I book a must have reference book only for him to now loose editorial control and have someone who obviously doesn't know , nor give a sh1t , what they are doing editing it.

I will register a complaint by Email about this in the next couple of days as they are going to end up closing down the papers with the actions they are taking , or am I being cynical in thinking that that might be the plan ??

Davie

Right guys i've added a poll to the thread get voting !!!

am awaiting delivery of my book but not looking forward to it after reading all these comments very sad really cos it was a brill book dave even had some shots of mine in last years book.also thinking twice about renewing fn subs after latest price hike you get to know most of news on here before you read it any way.........on a brighter note happy new year to everyone..........keep posting

Aye its a damn shame to see the Fishing News go down the pan the way it is just now. There's sometimes only 20-24 pages which means as a weekly it is getting borderline expensive for the amount of info they print. There are a lot of good articles in the paper its just that there's not enough content for the money.

Fishing News International is just extortionate in price now its 9.50 for whats in it for UK and Irish fishermen. Sure you get to see whats happening around the world but i'm still willing to bet their biggest market is still Europe/North America.

The FVB&I was good value even at 65 for the A4 hardback but definitely not good value at 75 for an A5 soft-cover without any editorial , port round ups and under 10m photos. From what's been said the text is difficult to read due to being too small as well. If i'm going to spend 75 on a book I have to at least be able to read it without getting a headache !!!!!

The more of us that complain to the guys that now own FN/FNI/FVB&I the better chance we have of getting things with these publications sorted out.

I agree Davie. I considered 65 to be good value in the A4 format with all the features & the under 10m photos etc etc.
    75 for this years effort, well ..........at least Dick Turpin wore a mask
    Last edited by martin johns; 31st December 2008 at 21:14.

Have to agree about FN too Davie, barely anything worth reading in it some weeks recently,hard to justfiy the price, might be more worthwhile if they make it fortnightly now

Got my copy today and think the German word SCHLIMMBESSERUNG covers it,it means "an improvement that makes things worse".Wont be bothering next year unless it reverts back to the A4 version.

Default Editor of Fishing News

Tim Oliver

tim.oliver@fishingnews.co.uk

Wouldn't hurt to let him know as well

good old "FISHING SCREWS !!