61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes : he made the FVB&I book what it is

60 98.36%
  • No : it is their book

1 1.64%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Vessels of Britain & Ireland 2009

Default Fbb&i

I concur with the thoughts of the posters re above. I have all the previous editions but was taken aback at the latest effort, fired off a E-mail to Tim Oliver pointing out my concerns on receipt last year , no reply yet, bu is probably so p--ed off about the whole thing.
    Jim

Thats the last one I'll be buying,complete rip off.The foreword says it has been 'changed to mirror other European fishing vessel directories'.Its a sad day when even our books have to be under the rules of the EU,what right does Pal Korneliussen have to change the format without consulting the readers first to see what they want.Give it back to David Linkie,a man that knows what he is doing.

It does just show that they did absolutely no consumer research first. You cannot do changes like this without checking that the end product is what the consumer wants and it is blindingly obvious that cost was the only factor involved in this. They wanted to cut costs so allowed the book to be taken over by the same publisher that does most of the EU fleet list books ( I have one and it is IDENTICAL in layout and there are spelling mistakes that show it was all done on the same computer system ).

They have decided that they know better than we do about what we want to see in a book about OUR fleet !!!. If they had to cut costs by going to the A5 size OK fair enough BUT there was absolutely no need to have dozens and dozens of pages with the contact details of the owners. Take the hint IntraFish IF WE WANT TO BUY A BOAT ITS ADVERTISED ONLINE WITH ALL OF THE CONTACT DETAILS IN THE ADVERTS WE DO NOT NEED IT IN A BOOK !!!

Cut out ALL of the contact info , re-instate ALL of the under 10m photos AND the port round-up / new boat reviews and the price increase might have been acceptable but not like this !!!

Didn't realise I'd let the poll close so I've re-opened it again guys

See a good complaint letter about this in FN today, hopefully they will take notice .Only thing wrong is the price quoted in the letter 65 instead of the 75

can not belive that fishing news has only had the one complaint that was in todays issue they must have had to print at least one for some one to see

Default Complaint

Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    can not belive that fishing news has only had the one complaint that was in todays issue they must have had to print at least one for some one to see
    I complained direct to Tim Oliver by e mail, I know others have, no idea what the complaint in FN looked like I no longer buy it

Default Mistakes

Another howler, page 381 Lionel has disguised the Maret to look just like the Margaret Ann II from page 189 !!!!!

Angry

Think we should all write to Fishing News to show our disgust and see how many letters they actually print.

It is an idea Dennis, although the powers that be at Intrafish Publishing have been made well aware of this thread & a similar one on the other site as well as e-mails so they should be in know doubt as to the feelings towards this years book.
    53 votes so far is not an exhaustive poll but a 98% vote opposing this years changes tells it's own story. The publishers would be mad to keep the same format next year's book.