NUFTA Take On Defra... NEW info on restricted licences - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NUFTA Take On Defra... NEW info on restricted licences

glad someone can see whats happening,how would this affect any newcomers to the industry?

Can't see how 5 million will remove 60 to 90 boats if they are targeting the biggest catchers. I would assume that by that they mean the most powerful mini-beamers & the like. Most of them have 300hp engines & therefore approx. 145 VCU's so 145K per boat means only 35 boats. I would also think that such boats may still achieve a better price on the open market, even in the current climate.
    Even a typical Cygnus 33 with a 6LXB has about 80 VCU's so would be worth far more if sold.
    DEFRA may have to lower their sights to achieve that number of boats & therefore not achieve the aim of removing the most efficient boats.
    A half baked cheap-skate scheme as usually for this government.......Very cheapskate when you consider the second class licences that will render most of the boats holding them un-viable.
    Last edited by martin johns; 24th December 2008 at 20:19.

I may be wrong, but as I understand it Martin they have come up with a formula that calculates the boats landings of "stocks under pressure" in relation to available quota for each of the species concerned in the various ICES areas. This is how the top 300 catchers were determined. Therefore the number one catcher could in fact be a small cove boat if it consistently caught the available quota each month of the eligible stocks during the reference period of 1 January 2007 - 30 June 2008...............................not necessarily a 200 - 300hp "super 10"

Eligible stocks are:
    North Sea Cod
    North Sea Nephrops
    North Sea Skates and Rays
    North Sea Sole
    North Sea Whiting
    Cod VII b-k
    Sole VIIe
    Sole VII f&g

Sounds like total confusion to me. I heard that only fish registered under the buyers and sellers scheme would be eligible. Is all the English under 10 fleet registered?
    Play by the rules - Miss all the fun

This is the regulation AB1 - another mountain of red tape and a bureaucratic nightmare. It is the sellers that offer the fish for sale at auction as the first point of sale that have to be registered (not the individual boats), along with any buyers of the fish. These are then required to submit sales notes and catch data to the MFA - you would be surprised just how much information they have about everyone's business, not just species data and catch quantities, they know exactly how much you earned !!!!

I believe that if you sell your catch direct to a buyer then the receiver has to be registered as a buyer and submit the relevant documentation to the MFA. Like you said in your last post - TOTAL CONFUSION !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051605.htm
    Last edited by Boy David 57; 28th December 2008 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by ricckybail View Post
    do we know how many fishermen there are in the british isles and how many people would be put out of a job if two thirds of the fleet were lost to defras commands
    the last meeting l was in at whitehaven they said there was 5774 licence boats and out of them 5000 looked as thoe they are going to be capped.
    cull the seals

Quote Originally Posted by Boy David 57 View Post
    This only applies to the English fleet - not the whole UK fleet Ricckybail.
    Is this not one of the problems across the industry, we are all split up and not represented by one voice?
    I think the NUTFA is a great idea but if it only acts for the English fleet then I think that would be a shame and a wasted opportunity. Should the leaders not think about organising on a similar basis to the NFFO with sector/area commitees?
    The U10s here in Northern Ireland arent represented at all unless they are in a PO.

We've just had an Email from Dave about this and he's just had a letter from DEFRA , dated the 11th , telling him he's capped at 300kg for the year....

Thats no where near enough and Dave is appealing.

Hmmm DEFRA....Department for Environmentally Fundamentalist Recidivist Assholes

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/recidivist
    Noun
    1. recidivist - someone who is repeatedly arrested for criminal behavior (especially for the same criminal behavior) habitual criminal, repeater
    criminal, crook, felon, malefactor, outlaw - someone who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime
    2. recidivist - someone who lapses into previous undesirable patterns of behavior backslider, reversionist offender, wrongdoer - a person who transgresses moral or civil law
    backslider hmmmm remember another meaning for that when I was trawling out of Aberdeen..... and apt in this case !!

did not see the potters complaining when lots of under ten netters liners and trawlers were refused a shellfish licence .i am lucky i have both ithink every genuine full time fisherman should have the same ,i know a couple of part timers who were awarded full licences but they met the catch requirement.dont make it right though.i started this job at LTin the mid sixties on trawlers ,i am still proud to be a fisherman but i never thought i would see this industry as divided as thi,only ourselves to blame.

For the under 10m fleet there should be a single licence that allows them to catch shellfish or fish in my opinion. If there has to be fewer boats ok let them pay the men to decom the boats but allow the rest of the fleet the freedom to fish as and when they can to keep the under 10m fleet viable