NUFTA Take On Defra... NEW info on restricted licences
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NUFTA Take On Defra... NEW info on restricted licences

Exclamation latest defra initiative

have any of you fishermen recently recieved a letter from defra capping your licence quota because you were unable to reach your licence target for the last period.apparently if you dont fill your quota now you will lose it,irrespective of whether bad weather,breakdowns or any other unforseeables were to blame.i would like to hear from anyone who is or knows of someone who has been caught by this latest threat to our fishing industry.i would also like to hear if anyone knows if this is being applied by foreign fishing industries.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

this stops the under 10 being adaptable and staying viable with the resources availiable to them at a time when we need to adapt to stay in a job

Creating a two-tier licensing system will make hundreds of boats un-viable, forcing them out of the industry. De-commissioning on the cheap !

Default deffra

thats right martin my liecense is going to be worthless to me not the money value i think its not worth anything while i am fishing with it but the fact that as they are doing this i can nolonger make use of the fisheries availiable to me at different times of year i havent got shellfish on my liecense as i couldnt afford the extra cost so now i have to stay shrimping all year instead of going linning for cod netting bass and soles to make a living

Default Decommissioning

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/grants/decommissioning.htm

I wonder how many people will take up the option of decommissioning. I can't see £5million doing much good amongst the 300 top catchers...............obviously why they are bringing in the two tier licences in the New Year to decommission some of the others on the cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Boy David 57; 13th December 2008 at 17:35.

Default NUFTA Take On Defra... NEW info on restricted licences

23rd December 2008

The New Under Ten Fishermens Association has instructed their team of lawyers to
    commence legal proceedings against DEFRA.

This decision has been taken in light of the refusal by DEFRA to address the
    imbalance of quota available to the under ten fleet, and the recent introduction of a
    two tier license system that will devalue the license of around a third of the English
    (not the UK) fleet.

The Fishing Minister Huw Irranca Davies has stated his intention of “keeping as many
    fishermen as possible fishing in the inshore fleet and enabling them to make a decent
    living”. How he hopes to achieve this without a re-allocation of quota is by the
    removal of two thirds of the English fleet.

With only £5million available it is obvious that this will only be achieved by starving
    the sector into bankruptcy, we cannot allow this to happen and therefore have been
    left with no other option.
    NUTFA feel that the British Taxpayer should be made aware that the proposed
    decommissioning scheme is not an EU directive but is being used by DEFRA as a
    way to hide the incompetence that has allowed the under ten fleet to be deprived of its
    rightful quota.

DEFRA used the lack of response to the consultation document (only 300 responses
    out of 3000 fishermen) as a green light to go ahead with the measures that they
    wished to implement, however the complacency shown by many is rapidly changing
    as fishermen wake up to the hard facts put before them. NUTFA membership is
    increasing and money to fund the legal challenge is coming forward as more and more
    fishermen realise that their way of life is being threatened.
    With the increasing problems of over supply and poor prices in the shellfish sector the
    need to diversify until prices improve will be impossible for many under the license
    capping, crab fishermen who for a long time considered that the problems of the under
    tens did not effect them should think again.

Until DEFRA take a new approach and start listening to fishermen things will only
    get worse, whilst we at NUTFA appreciate that many fishermen are in other smaller
    associations only NUTFA has the strength and numbers to instigate legal action, we
    therefore urge every under ten fishermen to join us and achieve our aim of a fair and
    just industry.

Dave Cuthbert Co-chairman NUTFA

do we know how many fishermen there are in the british isles and how many people would be put out of a job if two thirds of the fleet were lost to defras commands

This only applies to the English fleet - not the whole UK fleet Ricckybail.

thanks Boy David,i take Brussels is going to try and pick off one section of our islands at the time now then?

This isn't an EU directive Ricckybail, it is something the Government is introducing in an attempt to rectify their previous mis-management of the fisheries. With the introduction of the two-tier licences from next month this will again squeeze the under 10m fleet towards financial ruin, decommissioning on the cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are also dividing the fishermen themselves. Any fisherman with an under 10m boat that only has a history of fishing within area VIIA (Irish Sea) during the reference period for eligibility to decommission, has not been invited to apply for the decommissioning grant. So to the best of my knowledge all the other sea areas are eligible to apply (species dependent).

 North Sea Cod
     Cod VII b-k
     North Sea Nephrops
     North Sea Skates and Rays
     North Sea Sole
     North Sea Whiting
     Sole VIIe
     Sole VII f&g

Area VIIA (plaice) was actually on the eligibility list (stocks under pressure) during the consultation period, but was subsequently removed before the final draft was issued. Personally this appears to be discriminatory to area VIIA fishermen who have also suffered from lack of quota and were even stopped mid-year from catching the predominant species in the area during the reference period (plaice) due to heavier than expected fishing.

I really do wonder how many boats will be removed from fishing with this scrapping scheme. A colleague spoke to the MFA in London and they are hoping to remove between 60 - 90 boats. I personally don't think this is achieveable with only £5 million in the pot, particularly when the scheme is initially aimed at the top 300 catchers in the under 10m fleet and a cap on the bid of £1000 per vcu (except in exceptional circumstances).
    Last edited by Boy David 57; 24th December 2008 at 12:34.