Bonnie Lass built Weatherhead, Cockenzie 1949.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Lass built Weatherhead, Cockenzie 1949.

Default Bonnie Lass built Weatherhead, Cockenzie 1949.

Am currently researching the above yard, and am looking for a pic of Bonnie Lass LH38, beleived to be the last fishing boat built there before Weatherheads sold the yard to Samuel White in 1953. Can anyone help?

Smile grahamtowa

hi graham, im no sure if you mean the bonnie lass thats in my photos both with the greasy pole out on lifeboat day at dunbar . if it is she was called christina, before she came to dunbar from port seton? william brunton from dunbar owned her a few years he changed name to bonnie lass. then my uncle ronnie marr bought her mid 60s we worked prawns and creels as required.he sold her to his brother peter marr who sold her end of 60s appx where to not a clue but could find out. jonah

Think we're on about different boats, Jonah. Bonnie Lass that i was looking for was Cockenzie built, 1949 for Andrew Caird of Musselburgh, LH38. later B69, CN115, DK14. Now in La Rochelle at a maritme museum.
    Am still desperate to trace a pic of the boat as LH38.

Default A few Cockenzie built boats

Just for the records, Cockenzie built as noted in the Dublin Registers. Not sure when Weatherhead had the yard.
    1907 ISA WILSON 60ft
    1927 RISTANGO 43ft - To Fraserburgh in 1954
    1947 LOTHIAN QUEEN 49ft - To Mallaig in 1962
    1948 RAINGOOSE 61ft - To Buckie in 1964
    1949 MAID OF MORVEN 53ft - To London in 1961

Thanks for that. 1880 to 1953 were the W'head C'enzie years. Maid of Morven was built at their Eyemouth yard. Do you have the Raingoose original reg.? only one i have is BCK222...cheers.

Unfortunately the Dublin Fishing Registers don't give former regs, all I can say is that she was D20 at Dublin. I will she what I can find out from another contact.

Re: Raingoose from a contact..

All I know about the Raingoose is that in the 1950s she was owned by M&P Hanlons, Fish Merchants, Dublin. She fished out of Bantry for several years at that time - a beautiful boat, lovely lines, varnished hull. I mentioned her in Sea Caress but no photo. She was skippered by Peter Downey, Bantry, Co Cork who is still alive - must be well into his 80s. He may have something on her.

Just added a photograph of HMS Egeria (built by Weatherhead at Cockenzie in 1959) in the non-fishing gallery. She is currently (August 2007) lying alongside a jetty at Fareham near Portsmouth.

Thanks, Offscotland. Have a pic of that one as built, but not a recent one.
    This was after the Weatherhead family had sold the yard to J. Samuel White, who traded as William Weatherhead and Sons (1954) Ltd. Egeria was launched Sept, 58, as an Echo class survey vessel, 106', twin Paxman engined.Cheers!

Default Raingoose

Maybe not the same boat but Raingoose (painted red) lay in Gourdon for ages before falling to bits - this was probably about 15 yrs ago
    Bill