cameras

Thread: cameras

Default cameras

i know this is nothing to with fishing but i need some advice on cameras does anyone have a camera with a very large zoom? (need advice as i am getting one for christmas.)

I've had a lot of fun with the Canon Powershot S3, it's old now, but the new series of the Powershot cameras might even be better.

what zoom does it have?

12x
    On my website the older photo's are made with the Powershot S3

Default Cameras

Try this link Mat

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ic_dmcfz28.asp

I've had the older version of this one a Panasonic FZ20 for 3 1/2 years, metal bodied, Leica based lens and its first class. The FZ28 has an 18x zoom which will be more than enough for just about anything.

You can search the site for others. Olympus and a few others do a 20x zoom but I don't know how good they are.

The Panasonic range are great

Daz

Go for the best Optical zoom you can afford , this is the best quality as the "digital" zoom is just some fancy name for blowing up the image using software then averaging out the errors so can be a little fuzzy at the extreme end of zoom.

You can't go far wrong if you stick to the mainstream brands such as Nikon, Canon or Panasonic. All three make a decent bridge camera (non-removable long zoom lenses in a SLR style body)

If you want a compact camera with a long zoom then the choice becomes more limited. Panasonic make the TZ 5 which is 10x zoom with an aluminium body. I keep the previous model, TZ 3 in my van for everyday use & it is very good.

My older camera was a Canon S3is (12x optical zoom) which was took excellent photos. My only slight criticism of it is that the lens was not quite wide enough at the wide angle end to take close ups. I believe their latest model remedies this problem.

As TA has said, ignore any reference to digital zoom, it is not a zoom at all, merely a cropping tool which anyone can do with the most basic of image editing software.
    Depending how much you want to spend you could also go the DSLR route.
    There are some bargains around (Nikon D40 with 18-55 lens for about 250) but to get a long zoom lens (70-300mm) you would need to spend another 320 or so.

Also bear in mind that Fuji & Olympus cameras, although perfectly good cameras, use the more expensive XD memory cards. Sony use their own version of memory called the memory stick duo which is also more expensive. Most other manufacturers use the much cheaper SD or SDHC cards.

Probably best to go for a bridge camera. Go down to Mifsuds in Bolton Street. They have most cameras in stock & will give you good advise.
    Last edited by martin johns; 7th December 2008 at 20:26.

Thumbs up Cameras

I have got the kodak easyshare c300 it is only a wee digital camera but it takes some brilliant photos. and as others have said digital zoom dont go there. the c300 has only got digital zoom and is only 3.2 megapixals but it is good. I have used many a kodak, samsung and other cameras but the kodak ones are easist to use and the kodak software that comes with the camera lets you do basic things to your images like edit red eye and other things. now another questionwhat is the max upload size to this website and if the pics are to large how do you lower there size.
    regards
    young knoxy
    IF IN DOUBT GET THE HAMMER OUT , THE BIGGER THE DOUBT THE BIGGER THE HAMMER

http://www.slideshare.net/EUANKNOXY/...-troon-harbour

my website http://young-knoxy-marine-photography.webs.com/

Smile

thanks for all your help guys, it is much appreciated i have a few cameras in mind, just need to make a final decision.
    cheers Matty B