PDA

View Full Version : Wanderer/Bonny Lass?

Ritchie
13th April 2007, 22:36
Hi lads, first post.
Great site, im trying to get info on my fathers boat Wanderer A279 and my Grandas boat, Bonny Lass A253. Both wooden trawlers (wanderer 40ft, Bonny Lass 45ftish) Both worked out of Stonehaven, landed Aberdeen mid, late 70s until about 1983-5. My fathers name is James Cargill as was my late grandfathers. I have a couple of photos but just wondered if anybody remembered the boats or had any info? It would be much apprieciated, cheers.
Ritchie.

grahamtowa
14th April 2007, 21:57
Was Bonnie Lass a Miller build? There was a Scotch Lass built by Miller in 1952, SYreg, that later went to Stonehaven. Original owner was one of the Clarks of shoe fame. Boat was unusual in that it had a circular saw attachment on the winch for cutting creel bases. Did Bonnie Lass replace Scotch Lass?

Ritchie
15th April 2007, 22:24
I dont think the Bonnie lass replaced the Scotch lass, i think his previous boat was the Seagull. The Bonnie lass was square sterned, forward wheelhouse if that helps?
I remember my father said that when they bought her there was still shavings in the hold so the boat wasnt old when they got her. I will ask him if she was a miller build.

grahamtowa
16th April 2007, 19:50
Something ringing a bell here. Bonnie Lass was built for St Andrews (by Millers). Cant remember the St Andrews owners name at present, but they didn't have the boat for long, they also had 2 small creel boats built by Miller both called Bonnie Lass. Wilson ,I think, was the owners name.

grahamtowa
16th April 2007, 20:09
Just a bit more, Think Bonnie Lass is now at Port Seton named Girl Jean LH73, currently for sale. Was built 1973, 40ftx15x6, 110h.p., original reg KY25.

Ritchie
17th April 2007, 12:36
That is really interesting, i dont suppose there is a photo of the Girl Jean on this site? I will have a search later.
I take it you dont recall anything about the Wanderer?
Thanks very much for your input.

Ritchie
17th April 2007, 12:43
I have found a photo of the Girl Jean and it looks like the same boat. I will compare it tonight with the only photo i have.

grahamtowa
17th April 2007, 18:09
There were 2 Wanderers built at Nobles of Girvan, but whether one of them was yours, I have no idea. I did have a book, written by Alex Noble, on this firm, which included info and pics on these boats. Unfortunately, I lent it out, and the lender died before I got it back. Will have a look in Olses, see if theres any info on your Wanderer.

grahamtowa
17th April 2007, 18:22
Olsens 1984 lists Wanderer A279 as being 37 ft reg. length, built 1967 at Girvan, owners James and Isabella Cargill.
1980 Olsens has the boat owned by William Keith of Caithness.
Just a thought, Jimmy Brown the Stoney harbourmaster would probably have info on these boats. Might be worth speaking to him, assuming that you live in Stonehaven.

Ritchie
17th April 2007, 20:40
Girl Jean is the Bonnie Lass, and my father says he remembers the Scotch Lass and David Andrews thats owned her also the unusual saw and that it had a VP prop.
That must be right about the Wanderer, she must have been registered to my grandparents and not my father. It was about 1984 that she was sold, but i heard a few years ago that the boat was broken up but i dont know if this was true.

grahamtowa
17th April 2007, 21:34
Ritchie, have sent a private message with more info that a friend supplied.

Sam Henderson ARPS
29th October 2007, 23:44
Hi Ritchie

Wanderer A279 was built at Nobles of Girvan in 1967 BA 298 she became A 279 in 1979 -86 She was decommissioned in 93 and broken up at carradale.

Do you have a photo of her as I am looking for one.

Sam

Ritchie
16th November 2007, 20:56
Sam, i just read your post. Sorry i didnt get back to you.
I have 2 photos of the Wanderer, neither very good im afraid. Ill dig them out and email you a copy. (if i can find them)
Thanks for the info anyway.
Ritchie.

japottinger
13th December 2007, 16:20
I have some shots of Wanderer when she was around Aberdeen and PD. Will dig out and post soon.
Jim

japottinger
13th December 2007, 16:58
Now posting to gallery