PDA

View Full Version : Joint promotion at NAFC Marine Centre in Shetland

Davie Tait
3rd July 2013, 17:10
http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/19825/Joint_promotion_at_NAFC_Marine_Centre_in_Shetland. html

The NAFC Marine Centre has announced the joint promotion of two long standing employees, Dr Beth Leslie, senior shellfish scientist and Dr Chevonne Angus, senior fisheries scientist, as the new managers of the Marine Science and Technology Department.

As well as continuing with their current work they will both be responsible for the day-to-day management of the department, staff and associated infrastructure.

Dr Beth Leslie said: “I am delighted to be given the opportunity to step up into this position. We have a highly qualified staff base within the department and are producing high quality outputs relevant to local industry. I am really looking forward to developing this work further as we move forward.”

Dr Chevonne Angus added: “I started working at the Centre as a graduate in 1997 and I have gained a wide range of research and teaching experience since then. Taking on this role will bring new challenges but I believe that there is huge potential for the Department and the work that we do so I am very excited to have a key role in driving it forward.”

Interim director of the NAFC Marine Centre Mr Willie Shannon said: “I am very pleased that Beth and Chevonne have taken on the role as head of Marine Science and Technology. They are both extremely well respected within their field and they will bring a lot of credibility to the role.

“We are very fortunate to have a tremendously talented staff group within the department who cover a wide range of activities. It is vital that we continue to build on the reputation for our work, which is recognised internationally. I believe that Chevonne and Beth are the right people to make this happen.”

The Marine Science and Technology Department of the NAFC Marine Centre conducts applied research and provides training and advice to marine-based industries and other stakeholders within Shetland, wider Scotland and beyond. The aim is to make a positive contribution to the viability of industry sectors, to train and educate people of all ages and backgrounds and to help integrate people and the marine environment.