PDA

View Full Version : Boat crash skippers not vigilant ( BBC )

Davie Tait
15th April 2008, 15:11
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7348231.stm

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15292
http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21653

Davie

Irishbill
15th April 2008, 16:25
The report said the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has agreed to introduce a formal certification process for skippers of fishing vessels of less than 16.5m (54ft) in response to a request from the Fishermen's Training Advisory Group.

Interesting and probably a good idea. Can't do any harm.

shoreham89
16th April 2008, 15:28
Its Ok If They Dont Just Hand The Tickets Out
But Then I Rely On The Under 16.5 I Cant Sit Exams .... cnt Right My own Name properly lol .... it will put alot of people in a situation....

bill wood
16th April 2008, 22:00
Tickets for these boats will be phased in over next 2 years approx.
For existing skippers there will be an interactive site like the driving theory test.
Currently the training groups are running courses which should be free at present so get yourself booked on them.
When the courses become mandatory the EU funding normally stops.
For more info contact your nearest Training man or Seafish at Hull.

Regds
Bill

shoreham89
19th April 2008, 11:05
Hello
I Have Spoken To one of the trainning accosiations an then have said as far as the know the goverment wont make it manditory?
so i suppose we will have to sit and wait for decision.

Davie Tait
19th April 2008, 11:28
I think it will be compulsory pretty soon mainly due to the Insurance companies making it a requirement for cover. They will put that clause in so even if you've got 40 years+ of working as a skipper on an under 16.5m boat without any problems they can refuse to pay out any claim unless you have the ticket.

bluesjunior
20th April 2008, 13:47
Can't see it ever becoming compulsory no matter what the vested interest groups would have us believe ie the sea-schools, insurance co's etc. First and foremost we here are talking mainly from the point of view of "professional" fishermen in the under 10mtr sector from which point I agree with some type of navigational awareness but the blunt fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people affected by a law would be the non professionals who have a little 15 -20ft dinghy/cuddy in which to go angling / potting etc in their spare time. This of course is seen from the fishing side of things. If we then take into account all the amateur yachtsmen who a law would also affect in the huge amount of Marinas sprung up in almost every harbour round the British Isles it is never going to happen as these middle class yachtsmen have some amount of political clout when it comes to it.

Last year I investigated the possibilities of buying a small under 10mtr boat with a view to returning to fishing after a number of years ashore. As part of this I phoned Seafish in Hull to find out what exactly was the position as regards tickets / paperwork etc. As I had been at sea most of my life I was told I didn't need anything other than a VHF licence and on contacting the Whitby Sea School was informed that they were holding a free six day course here in Hartlepool in November which was a different qualification every day from H&E on the Monday through Safety at sea, fish-handling etc and finishing with the radio ticket on the Saturday. As it was free I decided it would do no harm to do the whole course as the person on the phone in Whitby assured me that it would shortly be law anyway and from January this year I think she said it would no longer be free but cost approx 600!!!!.

I turned up on the appropriate Monday thinking I would see a few local fishermen amongst the class but no,not a one was present. We were six people in the class myself being the only one who had ever been at sea. The instructor for the course had, until getting the job with Whitby sea school been a chef in a hotel and really didn't have a clue about fishing or boats, but had recently finished his instructor course. The other five people were hard core unemployed who went on one course after another to keep the dole off their backs and if you thought that the young lad aboard the Ryanwood in the Trawlermen series was a no hoper he was worker of the year in comparison with this bunch. I finished the course and to be honest there were another two instructors who took part in the final three days who knew a bit more than the chef but at the end of it at around 400 pound a head for the course, it was just a huge waste of Government funding in my opinion.

Irishbill
20th April 2008, 17:39
Marine colleges around the country may have different standards. It just may be a stroke of bad luck that the one in Whitby was sub-par. I went to the one in Greencastle, Ireland which is run by several ex captains and very strict in their policies. They take everything they teach very seriously which is a good thing. When I did my ticket many of the fishermen had trouble reading and writing as most left school early to become a fisherman. With a bit of hard work and coaching they all got through it.

The important part about learning these things like navigation, stability, chartwork, meterology is for safety for yourself and others. The more educated and trained we are as fishermen the better chance we have of staying out accidents or surviving when in an accident.

I wouldn't expect as tough a course/ticket for smaller boats but some sort of knowledge and guidance could go a long way in some situations and may help save lives. I always dread when I have to fish inshore (in my area) as some of the skippers on the smaller boats don't know anything about lights or rules at sea.

Fishing operations are classed differently from those on yatchs so the ticket would only be aimed at those working in the fishing side of things and not pleasure crafts.

seanetter
20th April 2008, 18:41
I agree with you blues,experience does'nt count nowadays,but as long as you have a piece of paper with a stamp on it,nothing to worry about,yet someone can win the lottery and go and buy the most powerful cruiser he can get and charge off down the bay(probably never saw the the sea before)with not a clue about rules of the road,lights and bouys.:eek:

restlesswave
20th April 2008, 23:01
Fully Agree With Your Comment Irishbill. I Was Lucky Enough To Do The Deckhand Course In Greencastle As A Lad And Went Back After To Do My Ticket. Full Allowance Was Made In My Time Also For The Boys Who Hadn`t The Chance For Whatever Reason Of A Good Education. Everybody Got Their Ticket Through Hard Work And Good Tuition Under An Extremely Strict Regime. Round About This Time (1989) The Irish Government Took Out A Policy For All The Lads That Had Been Fishing For Years That Had A Boat With No Ticket-it Was Called A Certificate Of Service Basically A Certificate That Covered You On An Irish Reg Boat Up To Second Hand Special. Something Like This Would Help In This Case To Recognise All The Experience These Boys Have. Just Because You Have The Bit Of Paper In My Mind Does Not Mean Your Qualified To Be A Skipper-it Just Means Your Smart Enough To Pass The Exam. Being A Good Skipper Comes From Having `wit`and Experience.