PDA

View Full Version : Ardersier fishing boat lost 1888

McFlett
9th April 2008, 21:49
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find details of an Ardersier fishing boat lost with its 4 man crew during a storm in Nov 1888. It was probably during the 'Destructive gale' mentioned on this page
http://www.hillsd.freeserve.co.uk/marhist/storms.htm

OffScotland
14th April 2008, 12:32
In 'Off Scotland' I only have one boat in that area:-
FISHER, a 4 ton lugsail that founded off Cromarty on 23 November 1888. No information about where she was from.
Have you checked with the 'Higlander' newspaper? The Archive at Inverness Library have the Fishing Boat Registers but I don't recall them having an index by name.
In the whole of 1888 I have 12 boats which I note as 'unregistered' that were lost.
Interestingly I don't have a single INVERNESS boat lost in 1888...
I have 11 NAIRN boats lost covering 1800 to 1936 but nothing in 1888.
Ian

grahamtowa
14th April 2008, 20:56
hi, Ian, I have been trying to find more info on 6 boats and 24 men lost from Spittal, Berwick on Tweed on 4th Nov, 1765. Don't happen to have any info on that , do you?

OffScotland
15th April 2008, 17:30
Hi Graham,

Falls just outside my research area. Only loss I have around that date and near Spittal is PEGGY of Leith which was wrecked on 5th November 1765 between Eyemouth and Berwick. Capt Boyster.
Further up the coast on the same day there were 12 lives lost when a number of St Andrews fishing boats were wrecked in St Andrews Bay.
Again, on the same day, the FRIENDSHIP of London (400 tons burthen) went ashore at Sandend, west of Portsoy with Capt. Fee but she possibly got off. Likewise, Capt. Dalrymple with the MARY from Kinghorn stranded in Aberdeen Harbour but I think she got off as well.

Seems that the storm was fairly widespread.

I will check my extracts from the Edinburgh Courant when I get home on Friday to see if I noted anything further around the beginning of November 1765.

The only loss that mentions Spittal specifically is a Coble wrecked on Tyne Sands at Dunbar on 31st November 1837. Don't have a name.

Ian

grahamtowa
15th April 2008, 21:08
Thanks, Ian. Know that there were Holy island and Boulmer boats lost on same day. As you say, must have been widespread.

McFlett
15th April 2008, 22:04
Thanks for your help OffScotland. The FISHER certainly sounds like a good possibility.

vectis
20th January 2010, 10:01
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find details of an Ardersier fishing boat lost with its 4 man crew during a storm in Nov 1888. It was probably during the 'Destructive gale' mentioned on this page
http://www.hillsd.freeserve.co.uk/marhist/storms.htm

I have some info if your still looking??:)