PDA

View Full Version : golden eagle photo

mowzy
2nd April 2008, 19:02
Can anyone help me locate a photo of the "Golden Eagle" BF77. It was sold to Ireland in the 1970's, but was previously owned by Mr Joe Hay of Buckie.

seanetter
2nd April 2008, 20:19
That the one that was built in Shetland for Wick owners??

mowzy
2nd April 2008, 20:53
Yes:) I was told that by someone from shetland.

Irishbill
4th April 2008, 20:58
Was this boat around 50 foot? My uncle had one called that and sold it on a good few years ago. He has a photo of a boat called the Golden eagle in his shop I was looking at today.

costellon
12th March 2014, 02:11
55' (52' at the waterline) "Golden Eagle"/ "Integrity"/ "Onslow" - in Galway harbour, Ireland 1976 (that's me as a lad on the bow in the coloured picture).
Built in Scalloway by David Howarth in the 40's for Wick owners as WK.359. She was fitted with a "heavy duty" 95hp Gardner 5L3 and a large 4 blade towing prop. She was previously registered as WK.359, BF.420 and BF.77 until my late father purchased her and she was later registered in Ireland as G.147 by my father (Chris Costello) who sold her to new owners in Whitehaven UK in 1979. Since then she has been registered as WK.410, FY.100, CO.127 and FD.387. In the time that we had her she was a beautiful boat and my father kept her so well that she was locally referred to as "the liner".
When we'd crank her up in the mornings there'd always be a few salty dogs hanging around that used to praise the sound of the old noble Gardner. As we were the only boat in the harbour at that time to have radar - we were constantly called on to help boats out of trouble. The only trouble we ever had with her was with the shaft and stern gland which turned out to be an easy fix. She made us a fortune over the years.
After leaving Ireland she spent time in Fleetwood, Maryport, Mevagissey, Oban and south Mersey (possibly a lot of missing info there). She was beamy, deep and a fine weather boat with beautiful lines. ... She was taken off the register in 1996 and I'm wondering if she's still about, and if so, where ? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.