PDA

View Full Version : Scots seek crown's jewels

Davie Tait
13th December 2012, 15:45
http://www.fishnewseu.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9530:scots-seek-crown-jewels&catid=45:scottish&Itemid=54

Thursday, 13 December 2012 13:50

DESPITE the announcement that the UK government is funding 19 Scottish projects under the Coastal Communities Fund, Scottish politicians still feel short-changed by the Crown Estate.

Commenting on the announcement Rural Affairs Secretary Richard Lochhead said: “I’m pleased that pressure from the Scottish Government has meant that the UK Government has released some of the revenues taken in by the marine activities of the Crown Estate in Scotland back to coastal communities.

“I congratulate the eight projects across the Highlands and Islands and the 11 projects across the rest of Scotland receiving support, which I hope will lead to a local economic stimulus. The new employment opportunities and boost for tourism these projects will deliver is particularly welcome.

“While today’s funding announcement is a welcome step, we will continue to press for full devolution of the Crown Estate in Scotland, so that Scotland can benefit from 100 per cent of Crown Estate revenues – not 50 per cent. Last year the Crown Estate generated £12.3 million in Scotland and this is funding that should be reinvested locally instead of being siphoned off to Westminster.”