PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine CN110, Nobles, Girvan 1958, job No.28

quiet waters
22nd March 2008, 10:46
finally made a start on my first attempt at building a model trawler, Nobles of Girvan built Jasmine, Alistair Noble very kindly gave me a loan of the original drawings and with the purchase of a scrollsaw and a bandsaw i can finally make a start.

fully expect to encounter numerous snags along the way, as long as i get the lines of the boat right i'll be happy, not expecting the finished boat to meet the standard of those featured on this site but since i intend to build many more in the future i might one of these days get one to look "alright"

nhp651
22nd March 2008, 12:51
looking good already, quiet waters, and a very interesting way of constructing a bread and butter type hull.I would never have thought of doing it that way, but after 40 odd years of trying different methods, I am still learning.
Well done, and don't forget.......there's never a bad model.enjoy the build, and don't give up.cheers,neil.

quiet waters
22nd March 2008, 15:19
thanks, i just noticed that my pics look a bit misleading, i could bread and butter them as you call it but t finished boat would only be about 20" long, a bit smaller than i want. i'm working from the original plans and there are 41 frames or ribs in a boat that is 54ft. i'm beginning to think that i could have done with only a third of that for the purpose of the model. haven't decided wether to leave each frame as it is or to hollow them out for realism, if i do that then with the addition of a few extras for bow and stern i have spent the last two days cutting out enough to make three models!!!!

i set them up using only about ten over a length of 81cm and it looks a bit narrow in the beam? i switched off the power in the shed and cmae in to the house for caffiene and nicotene to mull it over.

i got a very interesting letter today, i had returned the original plans to the yard on wednesday and today i recieved a copy of the builders certificate and the original fitting out instructions, with every little detail accounted for, including the number of coats of black varnish the underfloor sections of the hull had to get, the two coats of white undercoat and two of top coat the outside got, it makes fascinating reading all six pages of A3, typed in 1958.

Alistair Noble has sent them to me to keep, a very generous gift which i will treasure. i had intended to build it so that the deck could be lifted to reveal the fo'casle,hold and engine room in detail, a lot more work and a lot more trimming of the bits i've cut out already but i enjoyed my bunk for many years and would like to be able to see it in the finished model!!!!!!!!

quiet waters
12th April 2008, 21:12
the wheelhouse so far, bit more work to do on it before its finished, another couple of days at least. i'll leave it just now as i wanted to try out a new theory that came to me to steam the planks to bend them. i borrowed a steam stripper and taped hose to three lengths of vacum extension hoses. blocked off the narrow end with a wooden plug, taped the stripper hose to other end thru a split wooden plug i cut out on the scrollsaw. just split it in middle, put plank lengths of mahogany cut from length of mahogany trim on tablesaw. join the ends up and start stripper, leave steaming away for 30 mins or so and then bend into rough shape on former made of rows of nails using plan sied elevation as a guide.

seems to have worked, looks good, nice and bendy now ans should go onto frame quite easily.

quiet waters
12th April 2008, 21:23
another view of the steambox or should that be steamtube? never seen anyone else use this method but i'm sure there must be a great many who have and do use a method similiar to this.

my own little haven to hide in, my "wheelhouse"

quiet waters
13th April 2008, 22:09
this is how i spent sunday morning, pics taken at 7am, i'd been out in the shed for over an hour by this time

STEAMBOX in action

Miniman
14th April 2008, 15:32
Looking good there. I like the steam box idea, will have to try that one out. I have used a kettle with the thermostat shorted out, and a length of plastic drain pipe shoved through a hole in the top. A brass mesh grating at the bottom of the pipe stops the planks falling into the water.
Cant wait to see your model progressing.
Barry

quiet waters
14th April 2008, 18:39
neither can i, delaying the enevitable by spending the day making the winch, maybe tomorrow as the song goes.

grahamtowa
14th April 2008, 20:38
I used to have a book written by Alex Noble, "Building of a Scottish Inshore Fishing Vessel", had loads of yard building pics. Unfortunately, I lent it out and the fella died, so never got the book back. Shame, the pics probably would have been of interest to you, could have scanned and emailed. Unless theres someone else on the site who has a copy??

quiet waters
15th April 2008, 02:26
interesting, never heard of it, must do a bit of digging to find out more, never even heard of anyone who had it, lot of nobles passed thru here over the years, i'll ask local retired skipper and master modelmaker joe brown if he's heard of it. joe builds the most detailed models you are likely to see, absolutely magnificent, he used to own the true token before he retired so knows his nobles when he sees one.

grahamtowa
15th April 2008, 21:17
The book that i mention was a softcover A4 size, one of the series of Maritime Monographs and Reports, published by the National Maritime Museum. It went right tho the building process of one of their boats (can't remember which one), backed up with pics. Alex was in many of the pics, usually wearing a trilby. Also had a yard build list in it. Tried a search on abe books, but nothing listed there.

quiet waters
15th April 2008, 22:23
met my uncle while out doing some shopping today, he told me he had been speaking to peter noble at the weekend, he has a holiday home in peninver a small village about five miles up the road to carradale from campbeltown. pity i hadn't met him beforehand he might have been able to shed some light on the book, that said "uncle peter" as he is affectionately known by some never mentioned to my uncle that i had been loaned the plans to the jasmine, obviously he didn't get to share the bottle of whisky i sent to alistair noble, he would have mentioned it if he had.

started work on the winch yesterday, it takes a lot of thought when you only use materials that you have in the shed, i'm determined to only buy what i can't make myself. i'm using leftover UPVC that i've had in the loft since i got double glazing fitted about 8 yrs ago, that and bits of leftover trim from the conservatory build. the drums are an old reel for fusewire which i cut in half, and the decorative ends off a wooden bookrack or something that i had knocking about. the body is the trim for keeping the glass in place on the old doors to my conservatory which blew in during a gale last year. just the guiding on rollers to add and the brake bands. the hull planking will have to wait till i rewire the upstairs lighting so that i can floor my loft (wife's idea!!!!)