PDA

View Full Version : BRILLANT STAR SH117 info requested

Davie Tait
11th March 2008, 20:20
We've had an Email from Adrian Sutton about the Brilliant Star SH117

I visit this site often and realy enjoy looking at the many fishing boats.Im a fishermen and work out of scarborough, as did my late granfather manyyears ago. I would like to know if any of your members have any photos orimformation on BRILLANT STAR SH 117 my granfather was one of the crew, whenshe was at SH and ocassionally skipper. She was lining then, i last herd shewas at Oban. Any imformation would be great ,and a photo even better thankskeep up the great site

Any information can be left under here and I will pass it on

Davie

grahamtowa
11th March 2008, 20:58
Any idea of what years roughly that BS was at SH?
Where did ya get for your weekend away, Davie? Was in a pub at Galashiels Sat night, and there was a bloke looked just like you, but as he was drinking a pint and you're teetotal, it couldn't have been you. shame , cos there were a couple of half decent women at the other end of his table....:p

Davie Tait
11th March 2008, 21:07
Thats the only info I've got Graham as for my weekend well had a good weekend but the drive from Knott End to back here in a gale of wind and heavy rain wasn't very nice lol

jonah
11th March 2008, 21:50
hi theres a pic of her in my gallery,lying in girvan harbour taken 5/6 years ago.alongside the jacana, she worked out of tarbert for a while.

Davie Tait
11th March 2008, 21:59
Thanks for that Jonah

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=24094

Thats a link to the page

jd mcmillan
12th March 2008, 00:56
Brillant Star is laying in portavadie in lochfyne shes there with no wheelhouse on her she worked from tarbert for a while skippered by paul gardener. Not sure who owns her now.

jdcarra
13th March 2008, 02:52
Brillant Star is laying in portavadie in lochfyne shes there with no wheelhouse on her she worked from tarbert for a while skippered by paul gardener. Not sure who owns her now.

Whilst working over there last year, below photos of the boat lying in the new boat marina at Portavadie, originally the man made deep water harbour for the oil rigs years back.I will contact one of my work mates whom lives nearby as to ownership of the hull.

cynthia
17th March 2008, 16:04
remember her well when she came to SH, lovely varnished hull then, think it was about 1949ish. Jack Watkinson was skipper and most the crew were Filey men.
All she did was lining, winter lines, then basket lines and herring nets catching their own bait, and of course took part in the dogging fishery which was a big thing in those days.
After Jack finished she went trawling with George (Jocksy) Scales as skipper.
She brings back a few nostalgic memories.

adrian@adriansutton.wanad
19th March 2008, 19:18
remember her well when she came to SH, lovely varnished hull then, think it was about 1949ish. Jack Watkinson was skipper and most the crew were Filey men.
All she did was lining, winter lines, then basket lines and herring nets catching their own bait, and of course took part in the dogging fishery which was a big thing in those days.
After Jack finished she went trawling with George (Jocksy) Scales as skipper.
She brings back a few nostalgic memories.
my grandad bill person was one of those filey men, my mum seems to think they brought her from Oban about 1954ish,and while on passage they went to the aid of another vessel in trouble. She seems to think they got sum kind of salvage & this would be her 1st settling. Would love to see a photo of her in her hey day

johntar tt10
1st April 2008, 21:40
posting a photo in vintage, from when she was in Tarbert, but with steel wheelhouse on her.

olive oil
6th May 2008, 10:32
Hello i am the owner of brilliant star. Being converted to live aboard Regards Mick

olive oil
6th May 2008, 10:33
We've had an Email from Adrian Sutton about the Brilliant Star SH117

Any information can be left under here and I will pass it on

Davie
I am the owner of the star now.

olive oil
29th September 2008, 20:33
I own the star no need to ask yer mates. its not a hull either its boat without a wheelhouse. Its not in portavadie anymore its out the water at roseneath

Pontos
23rd September 2010, 20:39
Where is she now? Did you manage to sell her? Might be interested if you didn't

Bingbong
11th December 2010, 01:16
Licence removed and 'hip-pocketed' by DJ Forman.

Pontos
11th August 2011, 13:13
And the boat...or what's left of her?