PDA

View Full Version : Price of Fuel

Iain Maciver SY
9th March 2008, 13:17
After reading the report in this weeks Fishing News about the price of fuel keeping boats tied up in Fraserburgh i think it would be interesting to compare the price of red diesel all over the UK. Maybe other members could let us know what price they are paying in their ports/harbours so we can see the differences??

Price of red diesel in Stornoway just now is 60p per litre or 2.72 per gallon. :eek: :mad:

jammy808
9th March 2008, 13:43
:mad: last time i checked we were paying about 52 / 2,30odds down here in troon kaylana that was this year
where is it going to stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!much more and it will just not be worht it no boat in the ountry can say they have not felt the effect of the fuel whether you are an under 10 or 40 m boat did you read the bit the south coast boys are fisihing alongside the french and there is about 30p of a diff between the two countries
thought we wee all on a level playing field in europe nowadays:mad: :mad:

Donald
9th March 2008, 16:32
it may be a level playing field but brussels keeps giving us the end with the wind against us...

what does Eire pay for a litre of diesel?

it just seems to be paranoia and speculation driving the price up pity we couldn't apply the same technique to the sale of prawns or crabs, be alright with 50 a stone!

restlesswave
9th March 2008, 17:29
boys, the price of diesel in burtonport today is 73.5 cent/litre inc vat or 64.76 cent/litre ex vat. but consider this when i started fishing here 20 years ago diesel was 1.00 irish a gallon and a pint of beer was 1.01 now its e3.30 a gallon and a pint is about e3.50. in relation the diesel is much the same then as now. the problem is the fish. we are still getting 20yr old prices and being held to ransom by quota. on my wee boat when i started my flat fish averaged out at about 100 a box. fourteen years later about e100 a box or about 25% less.

chic
9th March 2008, 18:02
51p in pittenweem;
18p when we got the boat 8 years ago!!!:eek:

paul@paulhobson
9th March 2008, 18:32
we paying 53p a litre here in whitby now

billydial
9th March 2008, 18:58
57p a litre here in shields

martin johns
9th March 2008, 19:25
Restlesswave's price for diesel in burtonport converts to 56p/Litre in UK currency.

jammy808
9th March 2008, 21:21
we were defo payng more for fuel in sheilds and eyemouth than anywhere else i was told that was because it was bunkered and not by tankers!!!!! dunno if true never did get to bottom of it
but think eyemouth was trying to rip he hole out o it
the tanks in my boat only hold 1000 gal got a bill in for 1300 gall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gerald SR 83
9th March 2008, 22:05
56 pence in Girvan. Im getting 5.25p a lb for my scallops a pound less than 7 years ago when diesel was 15.5 p a litre. cheapest ever was in 1997. 8pence a litre from Maryport CO_OP.

watchman
9th March 2008, 22:27
in scarborough this week 52 p litre but i think the bigger boats get it 1p cheaper if they took more

pricey797
10th March 2008, 17:00
55 p litre in holyhead

dutch
10th March 2008, 19:30
http://www.kombuispraat.com/viewtopic.dnv?t=264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=976

scroll down

, due to fuelprices

Iain Maciver SY
10th March 2008, 22:45
Price of fuel has risen again in Stornoway to 63p per litre. I think a career change is due because the price of fuel is killing the job. :mad: :mad: :eek:

muirneag sy486
11th March 2008, 11:24
last weeks fishing news(prices reached record high of 42p per litre in fr) shows how much of a disadvantage we,re at in stornoway (63p per litre )its time the powers in be did somthing about it and got us back on an even playing field

The Harbour Cat
11th March 2008, 20:23
think i'd have been chappin fuel mans door then his heid...... jammy808

spousetrevor
11th March 2008, 21:32
53p a litre in eyemouth

Iain Maciver SY
11th March 2008, 22:05
If the price of fuel rises much more in Stornoway in will become uneconomical to go to sea. I can see a few boats here being tied to the wall for good here by the end of the year. When 63p per litre hits Fraserburgh that i think would definately put a lot of boats to the wall there. Do what the French do and blockade the harbours........they take action and get what they want or is it a case of the government here not giving a toss??? :mad: :mad:

We took fuel in Lochinver last night and i think its 56p there.

jammy808
11th March 2008, 22:18
the gov prob look at itaswell if they go bust then we wont have to worry about tht side anymore!!!!
wonderhow many ppl and families would be affected fishermen boatyards eng comp fish processors net makers shops for food where does the list end
anybody want to put a rough figure 10's of thousand??

Davie Tait
11th March 2008, 22:24
It used to be a ratio of 8 people onshore for every 1 man at sea 21 years ago ( the Fishery Office kept a log of how many fishermen were employed and how many in the fish yards but only a guess on how many were employed in the shops/car dealers / etc ).

I would think you would turn Fraserburgh and Peterhead into ghost towns if the fishing failed along with most villages around the west coast would be empty as no fishing means no money.

wod1
11th March 2008, 22:34
We are an oil producing country as well........

jammy808
11th March 2008, 22:37
how many houses repo'd
families claimin benefit
bank loans put to debtors not that they would be able to get much back cause nobody would want to buy boat or any equipment
if things get much worse half the fleet will be lucky to survive!!!
i see we have a man from france joined today how much are the french apying just now compared to us ?? at least those men have a gov that listen or do somet to help even if it is thru blockades
a friend of mine has a haulage company he is paying over 60 g a mnth for fuel the truckers are in as bad a situ as ourselves

william1
11th March 2008, 22:51
it looks like it is going to keep going up for everyone,boats,trucks,cars etc etc,the fishermen in portavogie are threatening to block the ports if they dont get what they are asking for,everyone should do the same in the end of the day we are only an island and the major ports play a big part in are everyday lifestyle.........
the goverment might see sense before its to late

jammy808
11th March 2008, 22:54
the truckers nearly brought the country to a halt 7-8 yrs ago

Donald
12th March 2008, 09:53
Am I right in saying the french are paying forty odd pence a litre and yet they still managed to get subsidy from their government? What does that reduce it to? What about the spanish, what do they pay and by how much will their subsidy reduce their price I wonder?

Hearing in the news all the time now that everything is increasing in price, food, the whole lot. As Restlesswave said the price of fuel is comparitive to everything else, it's all spiralling upwards in cost.

The problem is that we are not getting an increased price on our product, lobster was 10/lg 15 yrs ago in summer, still is now. I was speaking to a fellow a few days ago who landed for 8.50/kg last summer. Absolute disgrace.

Dunno about the trawlers but if we were getting 1.10/kg min on the brown crab that alone would make a huge difference, instead we're getting down to 75p/kg at certain times and I don't believe that the market fluctuates as wildly as is claimed, that is just a way to keep the tin hat on things. Prices are slashed in order to average out christmas or easter prices.

It would be interesting to see where the biggest mark ups in price are in the supply chain, I for one would like to see more transparency in it. Suppliers have to make a living and I don't grudge them a profit, but someone somewhere is sitting on a golden throne and not a rickety old skippers chair.

restlesswave
12th March 2008, 10:12
the sad part about the price of oil is the problem is created by our governments-moneys for the exchequer. when the oil magnates are petitioned over the price of fuel they shrug their shoulders and say `its not us that`s making it dear` AND THEY ARE CORRECT. it`s all government tax and levy`s. it comes into the country for literally pennies. and as was correctly pointed out the u.k is an oil producing country and ireland will be soon as they are getting rigs lined up to drill on the mayo/donegal coast. this problem is government greed and indifference. look at the price of fuel in america it`s still cheap compared to ours if it was directly related to the price of crude rather than tax the yanks would pay the same as us.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jim thompson
12th March 2008, 20:23
53.8 per litre in Portavogie at the weekend.3 local ports fishermen up at local government at Stormont on Monday protesting.

jim thompson
12th March 2008, 20:40
53.8 a litre in portavogie at the weekend .portavogie,ardglass kilkeel fishermen up at local goverment protesting on monday

Irishbill
12th March 2008, 21:40
53p in Ardglass at the moment. As the above poster mentioned we help a peaceful demonstration outside the government buildings in Belfast on Monday, also explaining that if nothing is done about the rising cost of fuel a blockage will be on the cards in less than a month which may get their attention.

Davie Tait
12th March 2008, 22:51
I have submitted a petition to be put online at the UK Government site it will be this text if it gets approved

Fishermens Fuel
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Force the Oilcompanies to provide bunker fuel at the same cost regardless oflocation for the UK's Commercial Fishermen
The price of Diesel bunker oil for the UK's Fishing fleet is currently at a record high. With massive differences between the prices on the Mainland and the Islands ( Pittenweem 51p alitre [ 510 a tonne ] , Stornoway 63pL/630t , Whitby53pL/530t , North Shields 57pL/570t , Girvan 56pL/560t ,Holyhead 55-L/550t , Fraserburgh 42pL/420t ) that cannot be sustained for much longer. With the excessive restrictions on the fleet already these abhorrent fuel charges will destroy whats left of our fleet unless this government forces the suppliers to have a UK wide single price for everyone. The Spanish , French and other EU fleets get government subsidies for their fuel but our fishermen do not this is not acceptable and either the rest of the EU stop the subsidies or our fishermen should have subsidised fuel to have a level playingfield.

Once it goes live I will put up a thread with the link

The Harbour Cat
12th March 2008, 23:05
it was on the radio today that unleaded petrol is xpected to reach 1.50 a ltr by the end of the year........ so that would put the red at around 80p/90p.....
that will cripple the country

Iain Maciver SY
12th March 2008, 23:06
Good idea!! I think we're at the stage now where if we just continue to sit back and accept whats happening there will be no fishing industry in the UK. Something HAS to be done now or so many good guys will be forced out of jobs not to mention all those working ashore in jobs connected to the fishing industry. Its hard enough now to make a living but wait till the summer when the price of fuel will inevitably rise and the price of prawns will fall as they usually do in the summer months when there is more bulk being landed.:mad: :mad:

Donald
13th March 2008, 07:32
Has Duncan or anyone had words with the local MP or MSP Angus? I thought it was just ourselves that were getting the worst of this but after FN last week I realise it aint.

we're on near 1.20/litre on the petrol and road diesel already up here HC, petrol went up 2p on Monday. So come the summer if I go round the west side I'll be putting 70 a week into the bloomin van...As for cars...looks like the cossie shall be reserved for sunday drives only at 40mph:(

philippe
13th March 2008, 08:35
price of fuel in boulogne yesterday 0.60/liter

Iain Maciver SY
13th March 2008, 23:17
Tell me about it Donald, i think the car might be getting the heave ho soon!! I'm not sure if Duncan has had words with the MSP but i'll maybe ask him next time i see him. I can see the entire SY fleet being tied to the wall by the end of this year.:mad: :mad:

mark
14th March 2008, 18:53
phillipe said in boulogne it was 0.60 euros a liter , the equivalent of 0.46 pence a liter . at todays exchange rate.

quiet waters
19th March 2008, 15:26
sometimes it takes a single significant incident to find a common thread, the current fuel prices would appear to be such an event. as far as i can see this site only reflects the percentage of the fleet that make use of it, but at the same time is representative of the whole UK. there are such things as local associations, they do meet each other, talk. would it be so hard for all the associations to meet and the representatives have the power to vote on behalf of their own association? you could always agree to find a way whereby anyone not taking part in any blockade, march, whatever, would not benefit from any provision implemented as a result of the action. i know there are the greedy ones that think they are above legislation nevermind dirtying their hands with a protest, but everyone needs to take action, from the man with a few pots to the man with a few pursers. It affects us all, and i say this as someone who lives in a small coastal town which has already lost its two biggest employers (one a shipyard) and is in the proccess of losing another, unfortunately this is a take the subsidy and run town as far as new businesses are concerned. To lose what remains of the fishing fleet might have less effect here, but it would change the entire character of the place. For decades it was said the if the boats were doing well, the town prospered, the same can probably be said of every port that has been mentioned by others here. It is in the hands of the fishing industry to make a stand, they didn't over quotas, they didn't over days at sea, they didn't over decommissioning, here and now is the line in the sand. Who is going to speak for the fisherman if not you, and you, and you, and you. Can't afford to put to sea with oil prices? blockade the bastards, and don't stop till the government capitulate, and don't send boys to do mens work either, i see the same faces that have failed for years still cowtowing in brussels, happy with the pat on the head and trhe kick on the arse and a wee token from the queen. Fight for christ sake, nobody is going to turn round and say "all right we'll knock 20p off a litre" you have to make it happen and you have to do it now, six months down the road the banks will be doing it for you, with a much bleaker end result.

jammy808
20th March 2008, 21:41
price of fuel in troon this week is wait for it guys....................... yip you guessed it up again we are now at 57.6 somet like2.60 odda gall
can only imagine i will have went up accordingly in other harbours
fuel bill for a 10 day trip just short o 3000

valhalla
20th March 2008, 23:42
44.1p a litre in brixham today without duty that is

jamie
24th April 2008, 09:32
Hi fuel today in Girvan 65p litre 24/04/08 no stop to it

MarkH
24th April 2008, 10:56
Royal Quays on the tyne last weekend 77p :eek:

gsmith2117
24th April 2008, 21:07
pittenweem now at 56p and rising

red john
24th April 2008, 22:40
fuel today in kyle, 58.6p. something has to be done when you consider other EU members are being subsidised by their governments:mad: :mad:

Donald
25th April 2008, 19:45
Sy 63.9 at depot on tuesday red diesel from petrol station somewhere around 72p....:eek:

Donald
27th April 2008, 20:24
64.9 a litre in sy its going up every bloody week!

MarkH
29th April 2008, 23:48
we're planning on moving Pansy down here this weekend, just rang Caley marina to check their price....

are you sitting down

81p a litre..... plus VAT (that's 95.1 incl) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

which is almost the price white was 6 months ago

gsmith2117
1st May 2008, 08:54
pittenweem now at 59p a ltr cost of fuel now at 55% of boats earnings
(Fish update)

ricki johnston
3rd May 2008, 00:09
61p campbeltown help heds t gether boys need 2 do somthin look at lorry drivers r doin 4 everyon not just themselfs

quiet waters
3rd May 2008, 18:58
i've been reading about farmers getting a subsidy to offset the rise in the price all week!!!!, don't know how much your average farm goes thru at this time of year but i reckon your average boat taking all sizes into account must be over 1400 litres or 300 gall give or take a dozen gallon. as i told another member i was burning all my stuff from the late 80's early 90's and on one reciept 1,235 litres was 123 and that was from 93, other prices which i thought looked higher than the 40-50p gall i remember were as high as 19 or 20p a litre, still under 1 and that was during the first gulf war when the price of a barrel went thru the roof, or so we thought when it was probably only 30 and not the 250+ of today.

i've my seaboots and sleeping bag looked out ready to volunteer for the blockade

red john
9th May 2008, 21:03
kyle is due its next shipment of fuel on monday, yet at midnight fuel went upto 62.5p, the fourth rise on the last shipment which presumably was paid for at the rate when purchased, why now do highland council feel the need to increase the cost to fishermen(and other users) when they are still on the last delivery price, this is surely against the law?:mad: :mad:
i think letter to highland council demanding answers

jamsie
11th May 2008, 12:21
aye john up in portree we are 2pence dearer than kyle,asked our friend in lochinver about it but just the usual reply,transport costs,it might be an idea to get on to some of the local councilors to see what they say???,last I spoke with our friend in lochinver he said and I quote "the price of fuel would go up and down accordingly with the price of a barrel of oil worldwide"unquote,answeres on a B-----y postcard please???????

Donald
11th May 2008, 14:38
Took fuel in SY on Friday, depot man said it was going up at least 5 pence per litre on Monday. I paid 64.9 on friday. It's never going to go down, the price of the catch needs to go up accordingly with everything else.

All summer we get around 9-10 a kilo for the lobster, yet go to a restaurant and you'll be given half a "plate size" lobster and be left wondering where your 25 quid has gone. On the fecking salad dressing??? Langoustine starter 7.95, 4 scabby medium prawns and a bit of blue dragon chilli sauce anyone? Also restaurant/supermarket prices do not fluctuate seasonaly, so I suspect they pay a constant HIGH price for raw ingrediants?

jamsie
12th May 2008, 17:24
fuel up again in portree 64.88pence per litre.today monday 12th may when is it going to stop,heard it could be up to 70 pence in Stornaway today-OUCH!!!!

Iain Maciver SY
12th May 2008, 17:41
Fuel 70.5p per litre at Stornoway today (12 May 2008). No sign of it stopping either.......i'm sure it'll be up again in the very near future. Bloody joke.:mad: :mad:

chic
15th May 2008, 10:59
59.5 today in pittenweem ...................................
might be headin to 67 next week,was told:eek:
sumbuddy gies a job!!!:(

gsmith2117
15th May 2008, 13:17
hear theres a job going for a petrol pump manny if you can stand the abuse chic

martin johns
20th May 2008, 13:11
Philippe has posted a notice stating the intention of French fishermen to protest at the rising cost of fuel. Link to the notice here :-
http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=32454

jammy808
20th May 2008, 22:59
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h6WfaAw53fMASUsto26b8clXm4dg

Hooked
21st May 2008, 14:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/7412300.stm

Donald
9th August 2008, 18:07
Took fuel in SY on Thursday, down nearly 5 p a litre to 70p. Depot man reckons next load cheaper again could drop significantly by christmas. Anyone else noticed a drop?

red john
11th August 2008, 21:13
64.8 in kyle back end of last week, think it might have dropped again friday night or over weekend, still high but a step in the right direction, another 15p off it before winter would be very handy, aye that and even the price for all fishermen in britain, no way western isles fishers should be stung, its scandalous prices are so different at the many different ports:mad:

stontamar
12th August 2008, 15:23
This is purely a question and I am not tryng to tell anyone how to conduct their business but if fuel prices vary between ports, for example I read that the price in Whitby was dearer than in Scarborough, hardly surprising if you have any idea how Whitby is dropped (I use dropped rather than a more toilet orientated word) on by the Scarborourgh dominated political establishment, and presumably harbour fees, landing fees, etc vary why dont the boats migrate to the ports where it is cheaper to operate. Taking Whitby and Scarborough for instance is there much difference in distance to the fishing grounds for the larger boats and if the crew were to travel between the port of cheapest choise and home how would the economics balance. The two towns are 20 miles apart by road and plenty of people travel 20 miles to work each day.

Ports losing out because their fuel costs were too high or their harbour and landing fees were uncompetative would start to feel the pinch and maybe drop their prices.

There is nothing like competition to help get a fair price for anything and presuambly the fishing industry is not different in this respect.

red john
12th August 2008, 17:28
stontamar, this isa more governmental problem, for years, the highest wages have been paid in london, all our taxes go to london, then get handed back out, with the cheapest fuel in london, this is the problem, the cheapest food is in london, it is about time scotland and the rest of britain also, realised that with the highest wages paid in london then, this is where the highest fuel price should be paid, therefore the cheapest price subsidised by the offset of the place where most fuel is used, you are starting to get away from the point a wee bit! for the industry, it should be the same price across the board, look at what is being done in the likes of france and spain!