PDA

View Full Version : Fifie drawings

MarkH
24th February 2008, 15:23
looking for some drawings and figured this may be the best place to ask

not for model building though. I've got an offer in on a 44' fifie, all the masts spars and the like are long gone, but if successful I want to re-instate them, so basically after something that I can take a reasonable measurement from to 'guesstimate' length and, more critically, position on deck for tabernacles/rigging and the like.

at some point in the future might even try to get some sails back on it, but just the masts/spars for now.

the original wheelhouse has gone, and the one that has been put in its place, whilst its not as bad as some, its not exactly what I'd like, so any ideas along that line would be cool as well

any ideas/pointers (or even drawings!) would be much appreciated

thanks

mark

nhp651
24th February 2008, 15:46
as I asked some time ago, if you look on google for Marine Modelling International magazine and look at the plans for sale, you will see plans for the Fifie "Reaper". might give you some idea.neil.

Davie Tait
24th February 2008, 15:47
There are plans in the back of the book "Sailing Drifters" by Edgar J March , but , my copy is packed away up the loft just now or i'd have scanned in whats there.

From memory the 44ft Fifie usually had a 2 mast arrangement of dipping lug rig ( but wouldn't be unheard of to have had the same style of rig that the Swan from Lerwick has , ketch rigged ).

Davie

MarkH
24th February 2008, 16:37
There are plans in the back of the book "Sailing Drifters" by Edgar J March , but , my copy is packed away up the loft just now or i'd have scanned in whats there.

From memory the 44ft Fifie usually had a 2 mast arrangement of dipping lug rig ( but wouldn't be unheard of to have had the same style of rig that the Swan from Lerwick has , ketch rigged ).

Davie

sounds like just the book, will have hunt through the usual suspects to see if I can find a copy

swan's layout is spot on, just need to find a 44 foot version!

Bruce Buchanan
24th February 2008, 19:04
Isabella fortuna is a 40ft fifie owned by the Wick Heritage their web site is
www.wickheritage.org/boat.asp I'm sure if you contact these guys they will help you.
Bruce B

brassie61
25th February 2008, 13:32
Have you tried the Fisheries Museum in Anster?

MarkH
25th February 2008, 14:45
not yet, but will do.

emailed wickheritage to see if they could help

offer was accepted this morning, so looks like full steam ahead. She in inverness, will leave her there till may/june, then motor down to the tyne, get her out and refit over the winter,,, well thats the plan anyway

ideally want to get her back looking like: http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4820

she was in (and still is in) a yard I worked in as young un. worst comes to the worst I guess I could go down and measure her up and take loads of pics. My mam still lives in the village where the yard is

Also going to have to find the bits to put back on from somewhere, which I guess will be no mean feat