PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Info wanted

brixham-trawler-race
15th February 2008, 12:25
Anyone north of the border know a vessel called Maxine (ML 2), is she still fishing ? Built 1983, 15 tons.
Also older info requested on an older vesssel, any info sought. Vessel is called Ben Venuto, ex Scottish seine netter, probably fishing in Scottish waters in the fifties, possibly an old Olsens may help.........many thanks in anticuipation gents, regards, Trev:cool:

jonah
15th February 2008, 13:30
was that a steel boatwheelhouse forward type, there was one at methil but called maxine,s pride,mebey same boat if so sure she was decommed.

brixham-trawler-race
15th February 2008, 14:55
Yes, that 's what she looked like, she was called Calypso down here, (BM 6) before she went to Scotland. If it is the same boat, do you know if she was cut up, or converted for private use, and an approx date please ? Trev

yesterdays man
19th February 2008, 14:10
Yes, that 's what she looked like, she was called Calypso down here, (BM 6) before she went to Scotland. If it is the same boat, do you know if she was cut up, or converted for private use, and an approx date please ? Trev

Maxine & calypso NOT same Calypso became St John went to Aberdeen then????? Last seen Menai Strait Port Penryn. Sept.2006. Very rough no fishing gear (have a picture but not yet learned how to send Wrong vintage,needs the grandchildren. )

martin johns
21st February 2008, 22:38
That Calypso was a different boat. As you say she became St.John - KY 15 & then Lady Edith - A 341.
This Calypso/Maxine was an un-decked 44ft steel boat built by David Abels at Bristol in 1983.
I have a picture in a book of her in Anstruther harbour. I'm pretty sure she was de-commissioned.

The Calypso you mention, Yesterdays man was built by Thames Launch Works in 1972 as Calypso - BM 3

yesterdays man
21st February 2008, 22:53
Calypso.was owned by Bob Kimble (Youngest teenager in town)before sold to Pittenweem.

brixham-trawler-race
22nd February 2008, 12:28
That's still most helpful chaps, as I didnt know what became of the BM3 Calypso either !! Trev......Martin, having a beer or 3 with Bob Penfold last night (Fiona Mary).....used to own David Helen, he is convinced she was not scrapped, but converted. He knows the old owner, and will try and find out for certain.....Trev

crystalsea
4th March 2008, 23:47
I remember a boat called "Maxine" fishing the north minch about 1986-87.Blue hulled steel with forard wheel house.She came into Stornoway a few times to land,if I remember right it was a father and 2 sons aboard,sorry no names

brixham-trawler-race
19th May 2008, 15:40
Next up, paging Cambletown....small 8 ton crabber, yellow in colour, in Brixham called Be Content II, (BM 1) went to Cambletown in 1983. French built in 1960, ring any bells please ?? Thank you, Trev

brixham-trawler-race
21st May 2008, 14:57
Another one please, this time BANFF.....1955 built De Vooruit, became Telstar, both BM 18, went to banff and registered there c. 1985. Typical Belgian built mid 50's forty footer, wooden. Any info please ?? Thank you, Trev

brixham-trawler-race
21st May 2008, 14:59
Next up, WICK.......BM 95 Christianne Joelle, in BM from 1974 to 1977, re-registered in Wick June 1977. French built in 1958. Any info please ?

brixham-trawler-race
25th May 2008, 07:52
Ever the optimist, I'll keep trying !! info sought from BUCKIE. Vesssel Don Bosco BM 5, built Bideford 1967. Steel , 24.22 tons, official number 337426, 14m approx, went to Buckie and re-reg there in April 1974. Can anyone give me more info after that date please? renamed ? number, Fate?

Boy David 57
25th May 2008, 22:23
The Don Bosco sank 2.2 miles North of Bradda Head on the West coast of the Isle of Man on Thursday 8th November 1990. She was registered PL 12 at the time. Another fishing vessel the Our Lassie also went to the assistance of the Don Boscoe and was involved in a collision with her when coming alongside in poor weather. The Our Lassie sank almost alongside the Don Boscoe. Both crews were recued by another vessel the Acorn. There is a detailed account and further information in a book called Shipwrecks of the Isle of Man written by Adrian Corkhill.
Kind Regards
Keith

martin johns
25th May 2008, 23:33
Don Bosco is listed in Olsens '78 as being BCK 12 & then PL 12 in the '86 book.

brixham-trawler-race
27th May 2008, 08:18
Thank you both, that is a line drawn under that one ! Glad all were rescued safely, but shame the vessels were lost.