PDA

View Full Version : Channel Islands boats

Hooked
19th December 2007, 19:59
Hi there,

Great site, stumbled across it recently. My dad used to be a potter in Guernsey (CI) in the 70's - 80's. Does anyone have any photo's/images/history of GU boats, GU432 Esperance, GU1 Anne Thierry, Askarra (reg unknown but now i gather she's been converted & still in Guernsey)? Seen a few modern day shots but nothing pre 1980's

Hooked
19th December 2007, 20:19
Sorry, that 1st one should have been GU438

martin johns
19th December 2007, 20:56
Hi Hooked, Is that the same boat as "Mar Du L'Esperance" ?

Hooked
19th December 2007, 21:10
Hi Martin, I have just txt my dad to find out. I recall there was a prefix in French but unsureof what it was exactly. I'm trying to do this as a bit of a surprise for him, sadly, financially, the boat went in the early 1980's, i was only a nipper at the time. Also used to fish around Alderney. I will post you as soon as i find out. Cheers, Paul

Hooked
20th December 2007, 12:16
Martin,

She was called "Itron Varia En Esperans" when my dad owned her. I am trying to gather info as a surprise for him. I know she came from Camaret (France). I have posted a note in the requests section about the history of PH 144 "Camaret" It was a long time ago but she looks very similar.

Hooked
3rd January 2008, 14:21
Marty,

Thanks for that will check out what i can. I have discovered she is not PH 144. There are numerous boats with the same name on the french website bateaux de peche.net but again not her. I have also posted you a PM

brixham-trawler-race
16th February 2008, 04:43
Hi, do you have any photos of Guernsey reg vessels from the seventies called Sunny Boy or De Hoop.......do you know what happened to them please ??

Hooked
16th February 2008, 20:13
My dad should be able to help out with info. He's away at sea just now but i have recently introduced him to the site, will ask him to take a look at your gallery. I think he's a box of old photo's in his loft, i'll see what i can do to get some loaded up. Cheers, Paul

martin johns
16th February 2008, 23:24
It would be great to see some photos of the old Channel Island boats Paul.
BTW. A while ago you asked about the Cameret - PH 144.
3762dazzer knows all about her. He has a few photos of her too.

Hooked
17th February 2008, 11:14
Hi Martin,

Seen the photo's of Camaret, initially i thought she was my dad's old boat but not so, you subsequently posted a photo of her "PL4" Thanks for that, maybe one day we'll find out her fate, i'm not so sure now that she sank off Poole.

martin johns
17th February 2008, 14:28
They were quite definately different boats Paul.
Cameret was still called that & registered as PH 144 when she sank off Portland. Owned at the time by one of the Nantes brothers.

Hooked
17th February 2008, 17:52
Sorry if i have caused confusion, i realised "Cameret" was not the same boat as "Itron Varia En Esperans" a while ago, your posting of of "PL4" however is definetely her!

brixham-trawler-race
8th April 2008, 12:18
Any sign of Sunny Boy or De Hoop in those old photos hooked ? regards, Trev

Hooked
8th April 2008, 20:08
Hi Trev,

I mentioned the requests to the old man & PM'd him. It would seem he's not as online as most of us, to be fair though his PC's on the blink, i've just today dropped it off to an I.T. friend of mine to be looked at, he's also away at sea again just now, i'll see him in a week or so to "remind him" :rolleyes:

brixham-trawler-race
14th April 2008, 12:23
Thank you, it would be good to know what eventually happened to those 2. Trev

Mike Craine
2nd May 2008, 13:30
Itron Varia an Esperanus GU438 joined the Peel fleet as PL4 in 1984. She was sold to Peterhead in 1989 as PD155 but sank off Burghead in September 89 all her crew were rescued.

Hooked
11th May 2008, 00:18
Many Thanks Mike, i finally found out her fate thanks to Trawler Photos. Searched for her as PD155 in the gallery but no joy, thanks once again.

Davie Tait
11th May 2008, 00:41
i'll do a search in the EU fleet register for her in the morning , its not working just now but when its back online I should be able to find out her name in Peterhead so you can search for a photo of her

Hooked
11th May 2008, 21:01
Cheers Davie, i'll keep a lookout

Davie Tait
12th May 2008, 20:47
Finally got onto the EU site and they don't have any info at all , can't find anything at all about her which is strange